The Student Room Group

Biochemistry, Biomedical and Biological Science Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kawehi
Hey! Did you go to the Oxford UNIQ biomed course this year?

No, I didn't at that time I was set in human sciences and didn't get into that course. :frown: What about you?
Reply 21
Original post by Fannibal
No, I didn't at that time I was set in human sciences and didn't get into that course. :frown: What about you?

Oh, too bad! :frown: Yeah, I did! It was really really good, biomed at Oxford is an amazing course, you should defo apply!!
Original post by kawehi
Oh, too bad! :frown: Yeah, I did! It was really really good, biomed at Oxford is an amazing course, you should defo apply!!

I'm pretty certain I will, depending on my grades on results day! :biggrin: If there's no chance then it would be a waste of my time. To be honest it's between Oxford and Sheffield for the best biomed course out there for me, Sheffield have a really good course which lets you do full body dissection!
Reply 23
I'm pretty certain I will, depending on my grades on results day! :biggrin: If there's no chance then it would be a waste of my time. To be honest it's between Oxford and Sheffield for the best biomed course out there for me, Sheffield have a really good course which lets you do full body dissection!

Yeah that is one thing about the Oxford med/biomed- no dissections!
Original post by kawehi
Yeah that is one thing about the Oxford med/biomed- no dissections!

It's the only thing I don't like about the course! :biggrin: I'm thinking about GEM after and I think dissection would help me to be sure about hating to do it or not (my dream is to be a forensic scientist/pathologist). :h:

Where else are you looking, and are you doing biomed as well?
Reply 25
It's the only thing I don't like about the course! :biggrin: I'm thinking about GEM after and I think dissection would help me to be sure about hating to do it or not (my dream is to be a forensic scientist/pathologist). :h:

Where else are you looking, and are you doing biomed as well?

Oooh cool!! Nope, I'm actually mostly looking at biochem! Perhaps Cambridge, UCL, Durham, Exeter, and Bath? Maybe York Tbh have absolutely no idea!!!!!! Eeek!
Original post by kawehi
Oooh cool!! Nope, I'm actually mostly looking at biochem! Perhaps Cambridge, UCL, Durham, Exeter, and Bath? Maybe York Tbh have absolutely no idea!!!!!! Eeek!

Haha, I know what you mean! It's so difficult to choose! :biggrin:
Hi guys! I want to apply for biomedical sciences at uni that requires AAB/ABB. however, I've only got BBC for my AS results( going to resist some molecules) do you think I hold a chance in getting offers??
I got AAAAA this AS results day in biology, chemistry, physics, English language and EPQ and I got 4A*s, 5As and 2bs at GCSE! I really fancy Oxford or Sheffield because of their amazing reputation, or Edinburgh! But I'm not sure wether to apply for Oxford because my GCSEs were very bad?? Idk I could do with talking to like minded people because I'm **** at making decisions 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by katsanders2107
I got AAAAA this AS results day in biology, chemistry, physics, English language and EPQ and I got 4A*s, 5As and 2bs at GCSE! I really fancy Oxford or Sheffield because of their amazing reputation, or Edinburgh! But I'm not sure wether to apply for Oxford because my GCSEs were very bad?? Idk I could do with talking to like minded people because I'm **** at making decisions 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say go for it! You never know what will happen and your grades are really good so that must work in your favour. Also, I hear the admissions tests are very important so if you ace them you'll definitely get an interview. My teachers told me that you can be weak in one area and get in, as long as you do great in the other areas.
I'd say go for it! You never know what will happen and your grades are really good so that must work in your favour. Also, I hear the admissions tests are very important so if you ace them you'll definitely get an interview. My teachers told me that you can be weak in one area and get in, as long as you do great in the other areas.

I'm going to get as many practice papers I can for the BMAT And revise like crazy, If I give it all I've got then I won't have any regrets hopefully ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going to get as many practice papers I can for the BMAT And revise like crazy, If I give it all I've got then I won't have any regrets hopefully ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing the same, if I want any chance of getting an interview I'm going to have to do well in the BMAT, especially with all the bright people applying! :biggrin:
I'm doing the same, if I want any chance of getting an interview I'm going to have to do well in the BMAT, especially with all the bright people applying! :biggrin:

I know the feeling!! What grades did you get??

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know the feeling!! What grades did you get??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually did better than I expected, especially in chemistry! I got 3As in the subjects I want to do to A2 (Chemistry, biology, and maths), 2Bs, and a C.

I'm pretty worried about the BMAT though, physics is totally a killer for me, and a lot of the GCSE level stuff for bio and chem is totally foreign to me now! :biggrin:
Original post by kawehi
Hey everyone!!

I've noticed that there isn't a thread for everyone in Year 12 or equivalent interested in studying biological sciences at university, so here it is!

Post what universities you are considering, what got you into biology, how your AS exams went, your GCSE grades, supercurricular stuff... whatever you want haha :biggrin:

It'll be great to hear from some like-minded people! :smile:

Hey:smile: i've finished my first year of applied science L3 with D*D*. Biomedical science caught my eye. I don't mind lab work as long as it's not too long.

I'm confused to what careers it would lead to other than becoming a scientist
Original post by Uz25
Hey:smile: i've finished my first year of applied science L3 with D*D*. Biomedical science caught my eye. I don't mind lab work as long as it's not too long.

As far as I can tell there are a load of options available. Law and medicine are strong possibilities as well as writing (usually science based). But a science degree at a good level (2:1 and 1st) shows a lot of skill and so would open many doors such as teaching, further study in another area etc.

If you look at the university websites they'll tell you what graduates go on to do (you might have to search around a little though).
Reply 36
Original post by Uz25

I'm going into 3rd year doing biological sciences and have primarily done biomedical modules in my time there. If you have questions about lab work don't hesitate to ask :h:
Original post by lilGem
I'm going into 3rd year doing biological sciences and have primarily done biomedical modules in my time there. If you have questions about lab work don't hesitate to ask :h:

Cool! Could you tell me what practical work do you take, whether you have to wear safety glasses often and do u use plastic pipettes or a specail one.
As far as I can tell there are a load of options available. Law and medicine are strong possibilities as well as writing (usually science based). But a science degree at a good level (2:1 and 1st) shows a lot of skill and so would open many doors such as teaching, further study in another area etc.

If you look at the university websites they'll tell you what graduates go on to do (you might have to search around a little though).

But what careers would u be able to go into without further study
Reply 39
Original post by Uz25
Cool! Could you tell me what practical work do you take, whether you have to wear safety glasses often and do u use plastic pipettes or a specail one.

normally our lab work involves techniques used across research labs or diagnostic labs- the labs are often long depending on the module (up to 3 hours) can't speak for 3rd year yet; however I will have a research project which has 15 hours a week expected time for a period of 8-10 weeks.

It depends which uni you're at and what the labs involve- for example I worked in a research lab at Southampton uni where I had to wear glasses; whereas at my uni it's only in exceptional circumstances.

In terms of equipment you use gilson pippetes this is standard across all uni- you'll be taught how to use them and it becomes second nature after a few weeks.

An example of lab work in biochemistry would involve an LDH assay to determine whethere someone has had a heart attack. Genetics would be knocking out a gene that codes for part of a protein i.e. repair protein to see how it affects protein repair and translation. Cell biology involved western blotting to test for cell signalling pathways. Human physiology included doing ECGs.

There is a lot of variation in what labs involve and the processes used are tedious and can be hard to understand but when it comes to interpreting there is guidance and again you'll get used to it.

Hoped that has helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending