The Student Room Group

Biochemistry, Biomedical and Biological Science Applicants 2016 Entry

Hey everyone!!

I've noticed that there isn't a thread for everyone in Year 12 or equivalent interested in studying biological sciences at university, so here it is!

Post what universities you are considering, what got you into biology, how your AS exams went, your GCSE grades, supercurricular stuff... whatever you want haha :biggrin:

It'll be great to hear from some like-minded people! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So, who else is planning on Biochem?
Biochem for me... Less so for chemistry, more so for gene biotech :smile:
Applying for biochemistry too! Probably at Portsmouth, Salford, Sussex, Surrey, and either UEA or Kent:biggrin:
Reply 4
Will be going for Biochem- definitely will be applying to Bristol, Manchester and Bath; may apply to Cambridge AS grade dependent and then probably UCL as my fifth option :smile:
Hello!
Hoping to apply to do biochem or biomedical but I'm not entirely sure what the main differences are?

Currently looking at universities like Bath, Exeter, Bristol, Oxford, Nottingham, York :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jerseyalevel
Hello!
Hoping to apply to do biochem or biomedical but I'm not entirely sure what the main differences are?

Currently looking at universities like Bath, Exeter, Bristol, Oxford, Nottingham, York :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think biomed is more to do with our bodies and how they react to diseases and medicines? Biochem is more to do with molecules and chemical processes in organisms.

Correct me if I'm wrong
Reply 7
hey applicants, I'll be going into my third year studying biological sciences at UEA if anyone has any questions about the course etc :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by lilGem
hey applicants, I'll be going into my third year studying biological sciences at UEA if anyone has any questions about the course etc :smile:

Hi! I'm applying for biomedical sciences this year and just curious on what work experiences you did before applying for your course; if you have any useful tips to include in a personal statement; and do you think by sending in my UCAS application way earlier, say November ish of this year, would get me more offers than if I would've sent it around the deadline date in January 2016?
Thanks so much x.
Reply 9
Original post by iceskapri
Hi! I'm applying for biomedical sciences this year and just curious on what work experiences you did before applying for your course; if you have any useful tips to include in a personal statement; and do you think by sending in my UCAS application way earlier, say November ish of this year, would get me more offers than if I would've sent it around the deadline date in January 2016?
Thanks so much x.

I didn't have any experience :colondollar: I mainly just did things like being a biology workshop helper, anatomy and physiology extension classes, the biology olympiad and similar. currently though, I am on a lab internship for a period of 2 months. I would suggest extra reading about an area that interests you- if you need any advice for particular areas I can offer guidance :smile:

I sent my application off mid September so I can't really say- it took a month to hear back from universities then I got 4 offers in a week :redface:
Original post by lilGem
I didn't have any experience :colondollar: I mainly just did things like being a biology workshop helper, anatomy and physiology extension classes, the biology olympiad and similar. currently though, I am on a lab internship for a period of 2 months. I would suggest extra reading about an area that interests you- if you need any advice for particular areas I can offer guidance :smile:

I sent my application off mid September so I can't really say- it took a month to hear back from universities then I got 4 offers in a week :redface:

oh wow that's amazing to get 4 offers in a week :gasp: and by area do you mean like a specific area or topic in biology or anything science related?
Reply 11
Original post by iceskapri
oh wow that's amazing to get 4 offers in a week :gasp: and by area do you mean like a specific area or topic in biology or anything science related?

area in biology e.g. cancer, genetics. evolution, disease development :smile:
I was stuck between Biochemistry and Biomedical science, I've decided on Biomedical sciences. Wish me luck. Hopefully my AS grades turn out better than I'm expecting because, sadly I'm not expecting much.

What Uni's are good for a biomedical science course? preferably in the top 20.
Whos going mmu for biomed foundation year? Hmu

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kawehi
Hey everyone!!

I've noticed that there isn't a thread for everyone in Year 12 or equivalent interested in studying biological sciences at university, so here it is!

Post what universities you are considering, what got you into biology, how your AS exams went, your GCSE grades, supercurricular stuff... whatever you want haha :biggrin:

It'll be great to hear from some like-minded people! :smile:

I'm applying for Biomed this year! :s-smilie:

I'm considering Oxford (hopeless at best :biggrin:), Sheffield, Exeter, Edinburgh, Durham, and York. I really need to cut it down to 5.

My AS exams went okay... biology was great, chemistry was difficult, maths was fine, history was crazy, critical thinking was bad, and creative writing was okay.

My GCSE results were 10 A*s and 3 As.

I've done work experience in a hospital and watching crown court proceedings, both were really interesting and fun! I'm struggling on the extra reading though!
Reply 15
Shall I study biomed at a low ranked uni (anglia ruskin) or something similar at a mid tabled uni( keele)?
Reason being - keele is full for biomed and I really want to go on to study dentistry after my first degree. Also what similar degrees are there for biomed and that I would be acceptable for graduate entry dentistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
Shall I study biomed at a low ranked uni (anglia ruskin) or something similar at a mid tabled uni( keele)?
Reason being - keele is full for biomed and I really want to go on to study dentistry after my first degree. Also what similar degrees are there for biomed and that I would be acceptable for graduate entry dentistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any degree can lead you to study dentistry afterwards, however, science subjects give you a much better chance of getting in. I would say biomed is a good subject but biochem, pharmacy, or another similar subject would be equally as good.

You'll need some work experience whilst doing the degree though, or you will have a very small chance of being accepted.
Reply 17
Original post by Fannibal
Any degree can lead you to study dentistry afterwards, however, science subjects give you a much better chance of getting in. I would say biomed is a good subject but biochem, pharmacy, or another similar subject would be equally as good.

You'll need some work experience whilst doing the degree though, or you will have a very small chance of being accepted.

Thank for the response.
Im interested in human biology after looking at the modules it covers. So im most likely going to be applying for that at keele university. Then hopefully applying for dentistry after, with some work experience at a dental surgery completed 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A47
Thank for the response.
Im interested in human biology after looking at the modules it covers. So im most likely going to be applying for that at keele university. Then hopefully applying for dentistry after, with some work experience at a dental surgery completed 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds really interesting, good luck with your applications and future plans! :h:
Reply 19
Original post by Fannibal
I'm applying for Biomed this year! :s-smilie:

I'm considering Oxford (hopeless at best :biggrin:), Sheffield, Exeter, Edinburgh, Durham, and York. I really need to cut it down to 5.

My AS exams went okay... biology was great, chemistry was difficult, maths was fine, history was crazy, critical thinking was bad, and creative writing was okay.

My GCSE results were 10 A*s and 3 As.

I've done work experience in a hospital and watching crown court proceedings, both were really interesting and fun! I'm struggling on the extra reading though!

Hey! Did you go to the Oxford UNIQ biomed course this year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending