The Student Room Group

iGCSE Chemistry (Level 1/2 AQA) Paper 2??

Hi, would anyone be able to tell me vaguely the topics on paper 1 or what they expect on paper 2? I think there'll be a titration, but that's all I can remember not seeing!

Thankyou!!
Reply 1
structure and bonding, equilibrium definitely won't come up.
Reply 2
My top list of ideas for paper 2.
It's by no means a definitive list, and don't rule out overlap of paper 1 material in places.

Testing for ions - flame tests, solution tests etc

paper chromatography - method and errors in the method, measuring and calculating the Rf factor, comparing to gas chromatography

Measuring energy changes in reactions, use of Q = mc delta T , experimental errors when using a copper calorimeter for measuring energy released from a fuel, or not using a polystyrene cup when measuring enthalpy change of a solution

bond energy calculations

Extracting metals - phytomining, bioleaching, alloys - properties

alternative fuels, evaluating fuels, method of fermentation for making ethanol

Rates of reaction experiments, explaining results in terms of collision theory

diffusion and diffusion related experiments

Titrations - how to do the method, using results from a titration, reading a value from a burette, and a calculation using n=cV

water treatment

percentage yield calculation, reasons for low percentage yield, ways of reducing loss of product etc

pollution from burning fuels - effects on the environment, comparing fuels

thermosoftening, thermosetting polymers, hdpe. Ldpe

drawing dot and cross diagrams

giant covalent structures

esters , carboxylic acids, alcohols - reactions of
In general, systematic errors or random errors - suggesting a reason for error, anomalous results and calculating a mean - how to improve accuracy by calculating a mean and discarding averages

Quick Reply

Latest