Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krups100)
    ahh i see...that has really put me in a bind now
    same here, intended to apply to claycroft since it's near the statistics department where i'll have most of my lectures and it's one toilet between only two
    ah well, have to reconsider my choices now...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klhl)
    same here, intended to apply to claycroft since it's near the statistics department where i'll have most of my lectures and it's one toilet between only two
    ah well, have to reconsider my choices now...
    Same here....my primary reason for thinking of putting Claycroft first choice was that it was the closest to the maths department....around 2 minutes walk someone told me :eek: but now they crashed my dream of waking up just 15 minutes before lectures now as I'm probably gonna end up in halls where I have to share :sad:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    is anyone going to the Law open day on Wednesday??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is Whitefields like? Is it sociable?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Update: Got another email back from Warwick Accommodation and they said what they initially told me was incorrect: in fact you can apply two at most two en suites, one a 30 week let and one a 39 week let. Good news for people applying this year

What does this change do? I think that the dynamics of Heronbank and Lakeside will change slightly - yes, there will still be a larger proportion of international students in the 39 week lets (especially en suite), but now we will see many students who can afford the most expensive lets to apply to AV/JM a first choice and then HB/LS as their second choice (and perhaps some the other way around). What this does mean is that you can probably still get ensuite with your second choice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Great news! ... Thanks for the heads up TallOne :yy:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thread updated

New section all about what happens after your apply and information about the Arrivals Weekend and Freshers Fortnight.

I'd say that the guide is pretty complete now, other than the missing halls reviews. If I don't get them from this year's lot, I'd be happy to take reviews in November and December from 2010-11 +rep remember if you do
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    Thread updated

New section all about what happens after your apply and information about the Arrivals Weekend and Freshers Fortnight.

I'd say that the guide is pretty complete now, other than the missing halls reviews. If I don't get them from this year's lot, I'd be happy to take reviews in November and December from 2010-11 +rep remember if you do
    "New section all about what happens after your apply and information about the Arrivals Weekend and Freshers Fortnight." where can i find this? link??
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ddongfang)
    "New section all about what happens after your apply and information about the Arrivals Weekend and Freshers Fortnight." where can i find this? link??
    The first four posts on this thread has a massive FAQ, etc. Just go to page one of this thread

See the section 'After I've Applied'. I think it spans pages 3 and 4 at the moment.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine lives in Westwood, I went to see it yesterday. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised, nice and cheap (but not very popular)
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    The first four posts on this thread has a massive FAQ, etc. Just go to page one of this thread

See the section 'After I've Applied'. I think it spans pages 3 and 4 at the moment.
    In 2nd year when you move into accomodation off campus can you stay in the accomodation over the summer between 2nd & 3rd year?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    In 2nd year when you move into accomodation off campus can you stay in the accomodation over the summer between 2nd & 3rd year?
    There are 11 weeks vacation accommodation (probably in Cryfield) over the summer vacation, however if you go for off campus accommodation with Warwick Accommodation, it is only 42 weeks (50 weeks for Postgraduates).

You could arrange alternate private accommodation without Warwick Accommodation (many people do). You could probably sort out a 52 week let or more.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thread updated

I've found the numbers of rooms available at each halls. Interesting that there are fewer 39 week en suites than I initially thought.

• Arthur Vick (396)
    • Benefactors (22 single, 24 twin - 48 places in shared rooms)
    • Cryfield (258)
    • Heronbank (151)
    • Jack Martin (425)
    • Lakeside (140)
    • Rootes (924)
    • Tocil (291)
    • Westwood (460)
    • Whitefields (195)

There are 3,310 places available for first year undergraduates in 2010-11, of which 1,182 are en suite places (48 of these places are in 24 shared rooms in Benefactors) and 2,128 are shared bathrooms. There are 1,149 30-week rents available, of which 891 are en-suite. There are 195 37-week rents available, of which 0 are en-suite. There are 1,966 39-week rents available, of which 291 are en-suite.

Claycroft 2 has about 240 rooms - so the Claycroft/Lakeside switch means that there are about 100 fewer rooms on campus available to first years.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thread updated

I've found the numbers of places available at each halls. Interesting that there are fewer 39 week en suites than I initially thought.

• Arthur Vick (396)
    • Benefactors (22 single, 24 twin)
    • Cryfield (258)
    • Heronbank (151)
    • Jack Martin (425)
    • Lakeside (140)
    • Rootes (924)
    • Tocil (291)
    • Westwood (460)
    • Whitefields (195)

There are 3,286 places available for first year undergraduates in 2010-11, of which 1,158 are en suite places (24 of these places are in 12 shared rooms in Benefactors) and 2,128 are shared bathrooms. There are 1,125 30-week rents available, of which 867 are en-suite. There are 195 37-week rents available, of which 0 are en-suite. There are 1,966 39-week rents available, of which 291 are en-suite.

Claycroft 2 has about 240 rooms - so the Claycroft/Lakeside switch means that there are about 100 fewer rooms on campus available to first years.
    Really surprised at the low number of places for first years at Heronbank and Lakeside! Only 151 out of 701 (HB) and 140 out of 596 (LS). :eek:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZepHead)
    Really surprised at the low number of places for first years at Heronbank and Lakeside! Only 151 out of 701 (HB) and 140 out of 596 (LS). :eek:
    They need to put finalists and postgrads somewhere, non?

Anyway I reckon it'd be a better accommodation for any year except first tbh. It's too out of the way.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgia)
    They need to put finalists and postgrads somewhere, non?
    Bien sûr . I suppose that (for no particular reason) I was expecting that all the accommodation which was open to both first years and finalists would be split roughly 50/50. I haven't looked at the numbers for all the residences, but Heronbank/Lakeside caught my eye. Thinking about it though, I suspect that there are some residences which are less suitable for finalists than for first years (Rootes immediately springs to mind - from what I hear, the party atmosphere there may not be conducive to completion of dissertations etc!)

(Original post by georgia)
    Anyway I reckon it'd be a better accommodation for any year except first tbh. It's too out of the way.
    Interesting that you say that - it's really my only concern about HB/LS for a first year. In truth, it's the distance from Tesco that bothers me most!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i am considering either whitefields or tocil for my second choice and i have one question in mind: what do they mean by single sex areas?
    i've read from previous posts that tocil has 3 floors, so is it one floor to a sex, or the WHOLE block is of the same sex (cuz that bothers me, considering i've studied in a girls school for 11 years and i've really had enough of that XP)
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Old Rootes vs New Rootes - pros/cons?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Old Rootes vs New Rootes - pros/cons?
    Ooh, that's a good question, I'd like to know as well
    • 68 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know a great deal about Rootes but I've been under the impression that New Rootes is "better" as it's newer. It certainly looks nicer from the outside. New Rootes is slightly closer to central campus, but you'd hardly notice the difference. You'll have to wait for someone who knows a bit more about Rootes to come along if you want more information, but it's worth noting that unless something has changed from previous years, you apply simply to Rootes and it's pot luck which you get given.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 22, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.