The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

ZepHead
> TheTallOne: Just wondering about the "want to live in a quiet area" question on the application form. I really need my sleep and wouldn't be happy at being woken up at all hours by noisy peeps - on the other hand I am sociable and want to make friends and have fun (just not all night, every night)! If I were to tick the "quiet area" box would I be likely to end up amongst a group of anti-social recluses? I wouldn't want that :frown:

Maybe I should tick the box but then elaborate (as above) in my personal statement - what do you think?

It's a tough one this - what are your choices going to be?

This also depends on the definition of a 'quiet area'. Does it mean loud roommates or a loud environment (eg next to the SU). If it means the latter then clicking 'yes' will probably make the chance of getting Rootes and Whitefields less likely. However there are so many people who end up in Rootes (more than 25%) that this preference is not kept to at all.

I could probably separate the accommodation into groups.
Rootes is a definite lively area.
Arthur Vick, Heronbank, Lakeside are a definite quiet areas.
Cryfield, Jack Martin are in quiet surroundings, but 'noise at night' is high (not as high as Rootes) so I don't think it matters - perhaps quiet will increase your chances of getting there.
Benefactors - :iiam: it's all very intimate there: again I don't think it doesn't really matter, surroundings are perhaps a bit louder than Cryfield/JM at night.
Tocil - flats mean they can group how they want, it doesn't matter what you click here.
Westwood - it's quite sociable, I'd say higher than JM, less than Rootes, but most people who miss their firm offers and come here via insurance end up here so it really doesn't matter.
Whitefields - although it's flats, you're right next to the SU so I'd class this as a definite loud area.

Now, will the wardens then group quiet people with quiet people? No. They will want to mix people together so that kitchens get along with each other. There are quieter areas and corridors, perhaps, depending on the personal statement but you will always get quieter people in your flat/corridor whatever happens. This option is there to get the proportions of quiet people to lively people right - perhaps a higher proportion of quiet people in Arthur Vick and a lower proportion of quiet people in Rootes.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2061
TheTallOne
It's a tough one this - what are your choices going to be?

The tick quiet box and say that you're lively in the PS could be a way to get into AV, if you so choose.

Thanks - I'm thinking about Heronbank, Tocil and ... not sure which other :confused:
ZepHead
Thanks - I'm thinking about Heronbank, Tocil and ... not sure which other :confused:

See my edited post - perhaps a quiet area on the check box and a lively PS will help you get there given those first two options. And if you fail to get into Tocil and HB then the quiet preference takes a back seat for third, fourth, etc options.
ZepHead
> TheTallOne: Just wondering about the "want to live in a quiet area" question on the application form. I really need my sleep and wouldn't be happy at being woken up at all hours by noisy peeps - on the other hand I am sociable and want to make friends and have fun (just not all night, every night)! If I were to tick the "quiet area" box would I be likely to end up amongst a group of anti-social recluses? I wouldn't want that :frown:

Maybe I should tick the box but then elaborate (as above) in my personal statement - what do you think?

Where did you get the application form from...? The site says they won't be available until mid-May
starduster
Where did you get the application form from...? The site says they won't be available until mid-May

Its not out yet, should be up within the next 2 weeks on the warwick website.:smile:
I think I'm going to pick
1) JM
2) Rootes

But i'm not sure about my 3rd choice.

I'm quite a lively person who can't wait to 'get stuck in' and meet loads of people, but I do like my privacy (and a little bit of piece and quiet at times!)
I'm going to be studying law, so I would like to be close to the Social Sciences department.
I'm thinking of either Cryfield or Tocil.
What does everyone else think?
Has anyone got any more photos/information of either one of these accommodation blocks and the types of people who chose to live there?
Is Rootes/Whitefields/Tocil a good combination speaking of social life and distance to the SU and everything else?
Reply 2067
starduster

Sorry starduster, I didn't mean to mislead anyone. There is an example copy of a previous years' application form elsewhere in this thread, which is how I knew about it. It's correct that the forms for this coming year aren't available yet.
starduster

Yeah, it's a screenshot from a previous application cycle, thanks to secretmessages for it. It's linked to in the 'When and how to apply' section of the guide in the first page of this thread, or there's a link here :smile:
mlleflorence
Is Rootes/Whitefields/Tocil a good combination speaking of social life and distance to the SU and everything else?

Location wise, any accommodation on main campus is pretty well situated, but there are a couple which are very well situated (I'd say Tocil and Whitefields are better situated than Rootes, at least if you study Maths/CS). On average, Rootes is obviously the most sociable, and then I'd say Tocil and then Whitefields. The issue with Whitefields is that it is a group of 17, 12 person flats which are completely separate - the variety of people you will see on a daily basis is less than in corridors.

Of course, you could end up with the 11 best people you could ever live with in Whitefields or an atrocious corridor in Rootes, but the views above are just taken on the whole. [Of course, if your corridor is rubbish in Rootes, there are at least 10 more corridors you can go to, unless you end up in International House]
03dowerl
I think I'm going to pick
1) JM
2) Rootes

But i'm not sure about my 3rd choice.

I'm quite a lively person who can't wait to 'get stuck in' and meet loads of people, but I do like my privacy (and a little bit of piece and quiet at times!)
I'm going to be studying law, so I would like to be close to the Social Sciences department.
I'm thinking of either Cryfield or Tocil.
What does everyone else think?
Has anyone got any more photos/information of either one of these accommodation blocks and the types of people who chose to live there?

Good thing about Cryfield is that it is cheap. You save over £1000 on most other accommodations. Bad thing is that the rooms are much smaller - you get what you pay for.

Tocil is more spacious, still sharing, better placed overall. The way it is designed makes it a great place to have a house party.
Thank you very much!
A house party sounds very appealing! :wink:
I think I've made my choices now:
1) JM
2) Rootes
3) Tocil
4) Whitefields

I'd prefer to be in a corridor, rather than a flat, hence the choice of Rootes before Tocil :smile:
I seem to be tied between choosing Heronbank or Lakeside. Any notable differences besides the phone?

Also what does "Some same sex areas" thingy mean in the website? Does it mean I get to choose between a single sex flat/block and a mixed one? I did not yet apply, just researching, so sorry if this is indicated in the form.

Also how far are they from TESCO and from the Engineering department?
Hi, could anyone tell me how social Cryfield is? And is there generally a good mix of people? (I read in the thread that there's a lot of 'maths/life sciences people'.)

Also, the thread guide says there are bath/shower combos but the official accomodation guide says there aren't... which is correct?
mahfood1990
I seem to be tied between choosing Heronbank or Lakeside. Any notable differences besides the phone?

Also what does "Some same sex areas" thingy mean in the website? Does it mean I get to choose between a single sex flat/block and a mixed one? I did not yet apply, just researching, so sorry if this is indicated in the form.

Also how far are they from TESCO and from the Engineering department?

HB and LS are pretty much the same - built around the same time about 10 years ago and have the familiar 8 to a flat structure that the university has adopted (since the 90s) along with Claycroft and new residences Bluebell Views.

Same sex areas are when everyone assigned to the flat/kitchen is of the same sex. There are comparatively few same sex areas compared to the mixed sex areas.

With regards to distance, see this map - both are the furthest away from Tesco and Engineering is about 10-15 minutes walk away. Please also read the guide on page one of this thread if you haven't already and it should hopefully answer a lot of questions.
milkbeetle
Hi, could anyone tell me how social Cryfield is? And is there generally a good mix of people? (I read in the thread that there's a lot of 'maths/life sciences people'.)

Also, the thread guide says there are bath/shower combos but the official accomodation guide says there aren't... which is correct?

There's a mix of students in each halls. Tutors are meant to put that variety in there. Unless there is a really noticeable trend where people studying x subject are all poor and therefore must apply to the cheapest accommodation Cryfield, Whitefields, Benefactors (shared) or something.

Check out the facilities summary from Warwick Accommodation at the bottom of the first page for shower/bath/shower and bath options for each hall.
Hmmm.

Am I supposed to have applied for accomm by now??
Skadoosh
Hmmm.

Am I supposed to have applied for accomm by now??

The application forms haven't opened yet, check the accommodation website over the next few days to see if it has. It's meant to open mid May, whenever that is.

Apply before July 31 to have the same chances as everyone else.
Are there TV's located at some place in all accommodation blocks? For example Saturday afternoon, premiership football... where do you go to watch?
starduster
Are there TV's located at some place in all accommodation blocks? For example Saturday afternoon, premiership football... where do you go to watch?

There are no TV's located in accommodation blocks, unless a resident brings one and buys a TV license either for their room or for their kitchen (both places are separate).

To watch football, etc you can go to the Bar in Rootes Social Building (this is separate from Rootes Residences). They normally have a list somewhere of what's on during the forthcoming week.

The SU are also screening World Cup games in the Atrium of the SU (south) with a projection set up. They also screened election night coverage and other important events.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending