The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

asanonymous
cheers mate, that was very useful....talking to a couple of ppl i know there though, they barely knew benefactors existed since they personally don't know anybody from there. I found this weird considering its seemingly prime location. Would it be a better bet to pay the extra £6 or so a week for a froom at jm or av then?

thanks in advance

Its because its houses so few people, I think its something as small as 60?

If I had to choose again, benefactors would def be in there as it is massiiivveeeee and great location.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
mangomaz
Its because its houses so few people, I think its something as small as 60?

If I had to choose again, benefactors would def be in there as it is massiiivveeeee and great location.

i mean, it looked really nice, but i was beginning to get put off due to its obscurity. Do you think its small size will hinder social life; its closest but one to the student's union (which will be temporarily moved anyway.)

i guess all those within benefactors will become quite close, maybe.
Also it really depends how much money you really want to spend on your accommodation i mean choose your accommodation carefully
asanonymous
i mean, it looked really nice, but i was beginning to get put off due to its obscurity. Do you think its small size will hinder social life; its closest but one to the student's union (which will be temporarily moved anyway.)

i guess all those within benefactors will become quite close, maybe.

No not at all, there's still plenty of people there. And to be honest even in rootes etc people generally stick to their kitchens, bar a few random excursions in the first few weeks exploring everywhere else.
Thanks all, there's some really good info in this thread. Does anybody have some photos of their rooms/kitchens/bathrooms(obviously when it's empty!) so we can see what they're really like rather than the tiny photos on the uni website.

Thanks and I will try to rep any photos :smile:
Reply 225
Being a postgraduate student which one is better...lakeside or heronbank????
omi21
Being a postgraduate student which one is better...lakeside or heronbank????

in terms of what criteria?
theArchitect
Thanks all, there's some really good info in this thread. Does anybody have some photos of their rooms/kitchens/bathrooms(obviously when it's empty!) so we can see what they're really like rather than the tiny photos on the uni website.

Thanks and I will try to rep any photos :smile:

I might have some on my other computer which doesnt have internet access at the mo... I'll try and remember to come back to this thread next week when it does :p:

Oh, and search the threads because I know that people have put up photos of their halls. My ones will probably be there as well actually.
Is AV really as quiet and anti-social as you guys make out? I think it looks really nice - the rooms are big, en suite, 6 minutes from union. It actually looks perfect. But I don't wanna be a social outcast?
Reply 229
Notebooksecrets
Is AV really as quiet and anti-social as you guys make out? I think it looks really nice - the rooms are big, en suite, 6 minutes from union. It actually looks perfect. But I don't wanna be a social outcast?

I was thinking the same thing, when I looked round everyone I spoke to was really nice and seemed pretty fun and down to earth. Im strongly considering applying there and I like to go out as well haha.
tomdav
I was thinking the same thing, when I looked round everyone I spoke to was really nice and seemed pretty fun and down to earth. Im strongly considering applying there and I like to go out as well haha.

Tell you what, we can both go live there and drag each other out drinking every night! If no one else wants to join us it'll be their own problem :p:
Reply 231
Notebooksecrets
Tell you what, we can both go live there and drag each other out drinking every night! If no one else wants to join us it'll be their own problem :p:

Sounds like a good deal to me :biggrin:
Reply 232
If anyone wants to post photos I'll link them in to the OP.

When I get back to Westwood, I'll take some photos before most move back in.
Reply 233
Where do I have more chances of being allocated if I put AV or JM for first choice? As in which one is more popular? Help? Someone?
Reply 234
plus_one
Where do I have more chances of being allocated if I put AV or JM for first choice? As in which one is more popular? Help? Someone?

As far as I am aware, there are no official statistics on that. There are more JM rooms, so you'd assume your chances are better there, but then its also less expensive, so more may apply. Really, I don't think you can pick on popularity, you're just going to have to pick one!

I'd personally, if you wanted one, go for the more expensive (£3 more a week - AV) and hope less apply due to the price, but then everyone may think this!
When can people start choosing their accommodation? I mean, are those of us that are still waiting on replies going to be disadvantaged by this in terms of what accommodation is left?
Reply 236
thoseanythings
When can people start choosing their accommodation? I mean, are those of us that are still waiting on replies going to be disadvantaged by this in terms of what accommodation is left?

I honestly can't remember the dates, but no you wont be. I am pretty sure you apply for accommodation after June (which is when they have to reply to all applicants by).
yes yes last year accommodation application started in june and the they waited till august to see if all the conditional offers from A-levels and IB were met than they distributed the accommodation and i was notified of my place around early September i believe....
Reply 238
KING IS HERE
and i was notified of my place around early September i believe....

Sounds about right! I remember the "WE GET THERE IN 2-3 WEEKS HOW COME THEY HAVENT TOLD US OUR ACCOMMODATION YET" posts :biggrin:
Reply 239
plus_one

For this year's freshers, AV was more popular, and people were advised to apply to JM because of this. Following the typical trend of things like this though, i would not be surprised if this year it reverses (it happened with many UCAS offers compared against departmental typical offers this year).

I really think though that JM is less popular - if people want en-suite, they tend to think "if I'm already spending this much, why not go all the way" and apply to AV. PLus, as Sparky already mentioned JM has more rooms, so statistically speaking your chances are greater.

But then, it is up to you! To be fair, the worst you can get is Westwood (if you don't apply there, that is), and I got that this year (sharing a single room at first), and it really isn't that bad. So it doesn't matter, you'll have an awesome time anywhere!! :biggrin:

On an unrelated note, anyone watch Dr Who earlier? Wasn't it great:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending