Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partickler)
    I'm going for Westwood too, and I was beginning to think I was the only one! I was thinking Tocil because it would have postgraduates, that's quite a wide range of people to get to know... but Westwood's windows just did it for me. No questions asked.
    Those big windows are nice! I don't know if you've seen the halls in person or if you're basing your opinions on photographs but a couple of years ago they redid all the windows - they're still the same size and everything but just newer and (possibly) double-glazed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellakhawkins)
    Hi everyone!

I can't decide which halls to go for. Tocil was exactly what I wanted, but since it's not an option I'm trying to find the next best thing. I'm thinking Westwood at the moment as I'm not massively keen on partying but like a drink now and again, plus I'm in Theatre and Performance which is right next door to the halls.

How much of a problem is the number of people to a kitchen and how much space do you have to store kitcheny things? And what's it like being so far away from the union?

It's either that or Lakeside at the mo and I just don't think I can justify paying almost £30 more a week for kitchen size!
    I'm doing theatre too! And I have no idea where to live either. From what I gather, Westwood is quite close to where theatre studies will take place (but don't hold me to that), and the walk from there to the student union wasn't massive. Quite a nice walk actually
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haven't checked the whole thread, but just to throw in...

Rootes D-H Block is being entirely refurbished this summer, with new curtains, carpet, bathrooms and kitchens
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are we allowed to apply for acommodation already ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sirage94)
    Are we allowed to apply for acommodation already ?
    Not yet, we have to wait until the end of April
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rivi)
    Not yet, we have to wait until the end of April
    Sampdoria fan by any chance?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simoncino)
    Sampdoria fan by any chance?
    yes, indeed!

If you see a Sampdoria flag out of a window you'll can easily guess where my room is XD but I'm not sure in which hall I would like to live at the moment
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rivi)
    yes, indeed!

If you see a Sampdoria flag out of a window you'll can easily guess where my room is XD but I'm not sure in which hall I would like to live at the moment

Haha, well if you see a Milan flag - you'll know where I am xD
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meeeck)
    I'm doing theatre too! And I have no idea where to live either. From what I gather, Westwood is quite close to where theatre studies will take place (but don't hold me to that), and the walk from there to the student union wasn't massive. Quite a nice walk actually
    Ahhhhhhhhh, you're the first person I've found who's doing theatre! Have you had your offer long? Westwood is literally right next to theatre and the walk to the union is about 20 mins. I'm thinking of getting a bike to get to the library and union to save time, plus I might get some exercise XD.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluebirddreams)
    Haven't checked the whole thread, but just to throw in...

Rootes D-H Block is being entirely refurbished this summer, with new curtains, carpet, bathrooms and kitchens
    And I believe Rootes J-L (and A-C ?) were refurbished last summer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhhhhhh, you're the first person I've found who's doing theatre! Have you had your offer long? Westwood is literally right next to theatre and the walk to the union is about 20 mins. I'm thinking of getting a bike to get to the library and union to save time, plus I might get some exercise XD.
    I actually already planned to get a foldable bike for the reputed 'long walk'. ;D

Glad the theatre is so close! I'm not doing theatre for my degree but I'm quite involved with plays and would like to continue being involved. That's another pro for Westwood on my checklist. :cool:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttoby)
    Those big windows are nice! I don't know if you've seen the halls in person or if you're basing your opinions on photographs but a couple of years ago they redid all the windows - they're still the same size and everything but just newer and (possibly) double-glazed.
    Just photographs, unfortunately. Can't manage a visit to the university... I heard that they double-glazed it .

Where do you plan on applying? Sorry if you mentioned it, the size of this thread is too intimidating :P.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hubble)
    Claycroft's not a favourite?
    I'd love to know that too as my first two choices are Claycroft and Tocil for now. Any up to date pros and cons of both halls would be much appreciated
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    And I believe Rootes J-L (and A-C ?) were refurbished last summer.
    A-C definitely was.

Was in M in October and the kitchens didn't look like the A-C ones (Ikea chairs, etc). Photos of M block at the start of thread are from Oct 2011.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partickler)
    Just photographs, unfortunately. Can't manage a visit to the university... I heard that they double-glazed it .

Where do you plan on applying? Sorry if you mentioned it, the size of this thread is too intimidating :P.
    Oh I'm actually in my third year and still have a fourth year to go. At the moment I'm living in Canley but I was in Westwood in my first year.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to the Warwick Accommodation department who told me there are no plans to restrict Tocil, meaning it should be available. They said they won't definitely be able to tell us until the forms are actually released though. Tocil was going to be one of my options so really hope it's available!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I can't decide which halls to go for. Tocil was exactly what I wanted, but since it's not an option I'm trying to find the next best thing. I'm thinking Westwood at the moment as I'm not massively keen on partying but like a drink now and again, plus I'm in Theatre and Performance which is right next door to the halls.

How much of a problem is the number of people to a kitchen and how much space do you have to store kitcheny things? And what's it like being so far away from the union?

It's either that or Lakeside at the mo and I just don't think I can justify paying almost £30 more a week for kitchen size!
    I'm doing Theatre and Performance too! Yay hi! I'm going for Rootes because my best friend is there this year and absolutely loves it, I've been in her room and it's really good sized and seems like an amazing atmosphere xx
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, by having an unconditional, does that increase my chances of getting my first choice because I have met all the conditions including getting the grades far before 31st August?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deep456)
    Just wondering, by having an unconditional, does that increase my chances of getting my first choice because I have met all the conditions including getting the grades far before 31st August?
    No - conditional offers become unconditionals anyway when the exam results are out. Housing uses some algorithm which I'm almost 100% sure doesn't take into account the conditionality of your offer, since by that time the people who are considered all have unconditional offers and hence coming to Warwick.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narev)
    No - conditional offers become unconditionals anyway when the exam results are out. Housing uses some algorithm which I'm almost 100% sure doesn't take into account the conditionality of your offer, since by that time the people who are considered all have unconditional offers and hence coming to Warwick.
    So wait, even if I hold an unconditional offer, I won't find out where I will be allocated until well into September?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 16, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.