The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4640
When do the contracts for the rooms usually start? Just a couple of days before the term begins or earlier?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 4641
Original post by ellakhawkins
I got mine in December :smile:. I'm definitely leaning towards Westwood at the mo since it's right next door to where we'll have most of our lectures and it sounds like the sort of atmosphere I'd like to live in. BUT all the negativity towards it is kinda putting me off a little bit XD. I'm going to have a look where it actually is on the open day in a couple of weeks and poke my nose around a couple of the others before I apply :smile:.

Is there anything in particular that you're concerned about in Westwood? I certainly feel that it's a great halls. Bear in mind that on the open day only some of the halls would be made available for viewing (I don't know which ones) so if you want to see the others then you might have to tailgate someone in through the doors (or just look at the outside).
Reply 4642
Original post by Steffis
When do the contracts for the rooms usually start? Just a couple of days before the term begins or earlier?

It's on the saturday before term starts. They do tell you to come on either the saturday or sunday depending on your surname, but this is just a recommendation - it's best to come on the saturday so that you get first choice on kitchen cupboards/fridge space and you have more time to get to know everyone.
Reply 4643
^ cool, thanks for that :smile:
£150 a week for Bluebell next year?! Oh sweet lord. That is over double what I will be paying...albeit off campus, but still...and picturesque surroundings? Half of the rooms face onto Rootes.
I got mine in December :smile:. I'm definitely leaning towards Westwood at the mo since it's right next door to where we'll have most of our lectures and it sounds like the sort of atmosphere I'd like to live in. BUT all the negativity towards it is kinda putting me off a little bit XD. I'm going to have a look where it actually is on the open day in a couple of weeks and poke my nose around a couple of the others before I apply :smile:.

Most people complaining about Westwood don't realise that it's nowhere near as far as people make it out to be, and that it's definitely a lot closer than living in Leamington Spa where most people live in their 2nd/3rd years.
Original post by Pancakeman123
Does anyone know if Sherbourne will have a common room like AV?

Check the floor plan on post 4 at the start of this thread. It looks like it's just a kitchen/dining/living area.
Original post by ttoby
Is there anything in particular that you're concerned about in Westwood? I certainly feel that it's a great halls. Bear in mind that on the open day only some of the halls would be made available for viewing (I don't know which ones) so if you want to see the others then you might have to tailgate someone in through the doors (or just look at the outside).

It's mainly just being so far from the union, really. And the fact that, by the sound of things, a lot of people who live there won't have chosen to. I wish they would open up some of the other halls on the open day, I looked around the ones that were open in September but I doubt I'll be applying for any of those. I'll just have a look at the outside and where it is and maybe have a sneaky peek through a window XD.
Reply 4648
It's mainly just being so far from the union, really. And the fact that, by the sound of things, a lot of people who live there won't have chosen to. I wish they would open up some of the other halls on the open day, I looked around the ones that were open in September but I doubt I'll be applying for any of those. I'll just have a look at the outside and where it is and maybe have a sneaky peek through a window XD.

That's a fair point with regards to there being a lot of people who didn't choose to be there - the hall has been undersubscribed in previous years. With regards to distance to the union, you'd need to weigh that up against distance to the theatre studies department.

If you're looking at the halls through a window, bear in mind that there are two different styles of building there - the ones clustered near the Westwood cafe and then some more further away. When you look at the ones near the Westwood cafe, bear in mind that the kitchen on the ground floor (by the main entrance) is smaller due to there being fewer bedrooms there. The kitchens on the 1st and 2nd floors will be visible on one of the corners of the building, and these are much larger.
Reply 4649
Don't suppose anyone can tell me where's a good place to go if you like reading and being quiet but don't want to be shut off from the world?
Also, is Whitefields a problem because it's so small? A lot of people have said that if you don't like your blockmates it's hell, which leads me to believe this is a recurring problem? :smile:
Reply 4650
Original post by Ani101
Don't suppose anyone can tell me where's a good place to go if you like reading and being quiet but don't want to be shut off from the world?
Also, is Whitefields a problem because it's so small? A lot of people have said that if you don't like your blockmates it's hell, which leads me to believe this is a recurring problem? :smile:

All of the halls will have people of lots of different personalities so the best way to get the sort of area you're looking for is to specify this on your personal description. Having said that, some halls tend to have more people of certain personalities. Rootes is known for being quite sociable, and the more expensive halls tend to get reputations for being quieter.

If you're worried about not being easily able to mix with people from other kitchen, then your best bet is to avoid halls that are described as 'flats' and go for 'corridors' instead.
Reply 4651
Original post by ttoby

If you're worried about not being easily able to mix with people from other kitchen, then your best bet is to avoid halls that are described as 'flats' and go for 'corridors' instead.

So I guess if there's a likelihood that you won't get on easily with the people around you Whitefields is not the best bet? Thanks!
Reply 4652
Sorry for multiple-posting: is Cryfield a bad place to go if you want to get much work done?
Reply 4653
Original post by Ani101
So I guess if there's a likelihood that you won't get on easily with the people around you Whitefields is not the best bet? Thanks!

You would have that risk if you went to Whitefields. Another factor you might want to consider is the number of people to a kitchen - if there are more people then that's more people you can get to know easily (I have experience of this in Westwood with very big kitchens).

Have a look at this table with those details on: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/all/campus/facilities_summary_table_1112.pdf

Be aware though that it's out of date: the prices and student types are incorrect, and Sherbourne is not included.
Reply 4654
Original post by Ani101
Sorry for multiple-posting: is Cryfield a bad place to go if you want to get much work done?

It's not a bad place to go, I'd highly recommend it for a studious person - I live in Hurst at the moment, right next to it and is very quiet and peaceful, with lots of greenery and bunnies around, but its also quite central (just across the road from the SU) so you won't need to trek across the countryside like those living in Lakeside and Westwood :smile:

Having said that, it's not the newest of accommodations, so you won't be getting the luxury of the likes of Lakeside and Bluebell.. hope that helps :smile:
Original post by misha j.
It's not a bad place to go, I'd highly recommend it for a studious person - I live in Hurst at the moment, right next to it and is very quiet and peaceful, with lots of greenery and bunnies around, but its also quite central (just across the road from the SU) so you won't need to trek across the countryside like those living in Lakeside and Westwood :smile:

Having said that, it's not the newest of accommodations, so you won't be getting the luxury of the likes of Lakeside and Bluebell.. hope that helps :smile:

Hurst and Refern are finalist halls though - they are much quieter than first year halls like Cryfield.

One of my friends lives in Cryfield though and he seems to really like it. It has its noisy moments, but most halls do, and it is definitely possible to get enough sleep/work done there. Although I really think that can be said for every single hall here. Don't forget - Warwick is not a massively party university...you will not be kept up until all hours every night of the week like you can be at, for example, Sheffield.
Where is the nearest laundry room to Tocil? Is it the one next to where the post room used to be or is there a closer one?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Philbert
Where is the nearest laundry room to Tocil? Is it the one next to where the post room used to be or is there a closer one?

Tocil have their own 'mini Rootes laundrette'.

This isn't integrated with any building though, so it does require walking from your block, over to the laundrette and then remembering to pick your laundry up before someone gets annoyed that you're hogging a washing machine :lol:

It's key card accessed, so only you guys can use it (I think. But all of the surrounding blocks have integrated laundrettes, so they haven't had the need to try).
Reply 4658
Original post by georgia
Hurst and Refern are finalist halls though - they are much quieter than first year halls like Cryfield.

One of my friends lives in Cryfield though and he seems to really like it. It has its noisy moments, but most halls do, and it is definitely possible to get enough sleep/work done there. Although I really think that can be said for every single hall here. Don't forget - Warwick is not a massively party university...you will not be kept up until all hours every night of the week like you can be at, for example, Sheffield.

Oh yeah, I know that. But I've read mostly on here that for example Rootes can be crazy. I mean I don't mind about noisy moments! Just preferably not every night! Also-yay, bunnies...:smile:
Some of you may call me crazy - but I really like Westwood. Does anyone know if I put it as my first choice is there still that chance that I will be sharing or will it rule me out of sharing?

Quick Reply

Latest