The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pebbles19
Hi :smile: I'm just finishing my first year so I'll answer your questions as well as I can

1) I spend around £20-25 a week on food, for 7 dinners, 7 lunches, breakfast, milk, bottled water and snacks. But I know people who survive on a lot less, and eople who spend a lot more. Going out off campus I spend around £20 because taxi fares aren't cheap, entry is around a fiver and then drinks. Going out on campus is obviously much cheaper in first year, I tend to only take £5-10 out in the union. They're my two core costs and then buses are around £1.70-2.35 single if you plan on going off campus a lot. then factor in train fares home or to visit friends, and then stuff like if you plan on going for a drink in an evening or something. I budget about £60 a week but some of that usually goes on things like a coffee or extra treats from costcutter.

2) I know people in arthur vick who are definitely up for going out and they're kitchens seem like it as well. But, I live in Jack Martin and I wrote basically that on my personal statement as did the rest of my corridor, we all meant it differently and all have completely different lifestyles which can cause conflict from time to time so be really really specific about how much you want to go out, how much noise you could deal with, etc

3) Rootes seem like fairly welcoming people, everyone I've met from Rootes are lovely but can't say I've ever been out with them as most of my friends live elsewhere on campus. I can't see anyone minding you wanting to go out with them, every time I've been to other kitchens on campus no one really minds.

4) the other halls that are not apartment style are cryfield and westwood. I've not met anyone from cryfield so I'm not really sure how lively it is. A couple of my friends live in Westwood, it is quite an effort to get to campus (if you're likely to be at gibbet hill all the time don't pick it!) but the blocks are really sociable because there is around 20 people to a kitchen and each block has a massive common room. However, all I would say is that your halls are what you make it, I know people in tocil, which is flats, but I'd say that their block is more mixed that my JM block. Go for the ones you like best and be really clear about what you want on your personal statement. Even if you don't get exactly what you want, you will have friends who live in other places so you can just spend time with them instead.

Just realised quite how long this post is so I hope its helpful!!

Thank you so much for this - £60 a week sounds good. My cousin goes there and he spends £30 a week...haha, even if I go for Sherbourne I still have a lot more than that to spend so I should be okay.

Thank you for the heads up on specificity in my statement I will make sure to do that. I put Westwood and Cryfield as my 4th and 5th choices but really hoping I don't get them now to be honest :tongue:

Do you know at all where Sherbourne is...in relation to the other residences?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Zulliekinz
Thank you so much for this - £60 a week sounds good. My cousin goes there and he spends £30 a week...haha, even if I go for Sherbourne I still have a lot more than that to spend so I should be okay.

Thank you for the heads up on specificity in my statement I will make sure to do that. I put Westwood and Cryfield as my 4th and 5th choices but really hoping I don't get them now to be honest :tongue:

Do you know at all where Sherbourne is...in relation to the other residences?

Near Lakeside, so it's a reasonable distance from places such as the Student's Union.
Sorry, other question what happens at Gibbert Hall Campus - so what sort of people would often be found there?
Reply 4823
Sorry, other question what happens at Gibbert Hall Campus - so what sort of people would often be found there?

That's mainly medical/biological-related buildings, so you would probably find people who study those subjects around there.
Does anyone know anything about Sherbourne....like has anyone who currently attends seen where it is situated in comparison to other residences or the main campus or anything....

There's a bit more info on post 4 of this very thread (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=338591) including floor plans, location, info about facilities...
Does anyone know anything about Sherbourne....like has anyone who currently attends seen where it is situated in comparison to other residences or the main campus or anything....

At the moment my app looks like:

1) AV (30 weeks - Ensuite)
2) Rootes (39 weeks - Shared)
3) Sherbourne (39 weeks - Ensuite)
4) Westwood (39 weeks - Shared)
5) Cryfield (30 weeks - Shared)

I wouldn't really mind any of the top 3 but my problem with Westwood is distance and the ridiculous amount of people to a kitchen >_< my problem with cryfield is its the short end of two sticks.... its only 30 weeks anddd I don't get an ensuite... liklihood I will get one of my top 3?

You can only put one en-suite down on your form!
Original post by Gigamonkey
You can only put one en-suite down on your form!

You can only put one 30 week ensuite down, you can put as many 39 week ensuites down as you want.
Original post by justanotherposter
You can only put one 30 week ensuite down, you can put as many 39 week ensuites down as you want.

Thanks! I will be editing my application then :smile: need an ensuite!! :tongue:
Has anybody been sent an email about the opening of applications for accommodation from Warwick? I haven't, although I have sent in my application. I was just thinking that, if I was to not keep looking on the internet to see when you could apply, then I could easily not know that I need to apply for accommodation before the end of July. Surely emails should be sent as a reminder?
Reply 4829
Original post by RacingPro97
Has anybody been sent an email about the opening of applications for accommodation from Warwick? I haven't, although I have sent in my application. I was just thinking that, if I was to not keep looking on the internet to see when you could apply, then I could easily not know that I need to apply for accommodation before the end of July. Surely emails should be sent as a reminder?

I imagine you probably would be sent one, but they don't want to send all the emails at once perhaps to avoid being flooded with loads of applications in the first few days.
Okay so for me it was this major decision to put Arthur Vick or Rootes as my first choice....moving all my stuff out is effort so pricing and 39 week let appealed to me, but I can afford the Arthur Vick I think...
Though I am like a ridiculously social person and love to have fun all the time - I really don't want to fail my first year...so feel that if I go to Rootes I'll get swept away by the parties and not work at all....But I don't want to die of boredom in AV...Some people say it's fun still?

I put AV as my first choice and I am a sociable person too... i like going out etc, so hope AV isn't too unsociable!! :smile:
Weird question but I would appreciate if someone answers!
I read in the guide that the only internet connection you get is through an ethernet cable. If so, how do you connect your phone and other devices to the Wifi?
Reply 4832
Original post by Jonesy_16_
I read in the guide that the only internet connection you get is through an ethernet cable. If so, how do you connect your phone and other devices to the Wifi?

It's against the rules to set up your own wifi network so you wouldn't be able to connect your phone to the wifi when in your room.

However most university buildings such as the library have their own wifi hotspot so you would be able to use your phone there.
Reply 4833
Are we definitely supposed to get an email about accomodation though? Because a lot of people seem to and I haven't had one yet...or do we just get the form online?
Reply 4834
Original post by Ani101
Are we definitely supposed to get an email about accomodation though? Because a lot of people seem to and I haven't had one yet...or do we just get the form online?

Someone above asked a similar question - I would definitely expect you to get an email about it but since I don't actually work there and send out the emails then I can't be more certain than that.

I do think it's likely that they are delaying sending some of the emails to avoid being flooded with applications.

It's also worth making sure that the email address recorded for you is correct, ie you should be receiving other emails from Warwick about various things.
Hey, I need some advice in filling in the form. You see, I know I want to go to either Cryfield or Rootes, but I'm worried that at Rootes if I'm too near to the SU I won't be able to sleep (I'm a ridiculously light sleeper, and if I don't get my sleep then I turn nasty!) but I'm also worried that at Cryfield there won't be much of a social life (I'm also a rather sociable person, but I need nights in too sometimes!) so what do? Should I mention that I'm paradoxically a socialite who needs his sleep? I also wanna make sure I don't get put anywhere else as all the others either don't appeal to me or are out of my budget . :') Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4836
Original post by Lukee1337
Hey, I need some advice in filling in the form. You see, I know I want to go to either Cryfield or Rootes, but I'm worried that at Rootes if I'm too near to the SU I won't be able to sleep (I'm a ridiculously light sleeper, and if I don't get my sleep then I turn nasty!) but I'm also worried that at Cryfield there won't be much of a social life (I'm also a rather sociable person, but I need nights in too sometimes!) so what do? Should I mention that I'm paradoxically a socialite who needs his sleep? I also wanna make sure I don't get put anywhere else as all the others either don't appeal to me or are out of my budget . :') Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. :smile:

What would probably suit you is to be in a sociable area, but to have a room that's not too close to the kitchen/common room where there is likely to be noise.

When I lived in Westwood, the corridors on each floor had the main staircase going up through the middle then the kitchen and bathrooms just down the corridor from there. They arranged it so that the more noisy people had rooms around the middle of the corridor near all these facilities, whilst the quieter people had rooms at the two ends of the corridor where typically you would only need to go down there if you were going to one of those bedrooms.
Original post by Jonesy_16_

Technically, it's against the rules to setup a router off your connection, but if you setup your own hotspot that's shared from your computer, ITS tends to turn a blind eye to it. Bluebell has WiFi in their kitchens, and I believe Sherbourne will have the same.
Original post by ttoby
What would probably suit you is to be in a sociable area, but to have a room that's not too close to the kitchen/common room where there is likely to be noise.

When I lived in Westwood, the corridors on each floor had the main staircase going up through the middle then the kitchen and bathrooms just down the corridor from there. They arranged it so that the more noisy people had rooms around the middle of the corridor near all these facilities, whilst the quieter people had rooms at the two ends of the corridor where typically you would only need to go down there if you were going to one of those bedrooms.

Thank you! :smile: That sounds good, so should I put that on my form, and should I say I want a quiet area or not? Also what should I put as my 3rd 4th and 5th choice to make sure I end up in Cryfield or Rootes? Thanks :biggrin:

Reply 4839
Original post by Lukee1337
Thank you! :smile: That sounds good, so should I put that on my form, and should I say I want a quiet area or not? Also what should I put as my 3rd 4th and 5th choice to make sure I end up in Cryfield or Rootes? Thanks :biggrin:

Yes you could put something like that along with other information about yourself.

I would imagine the 'quiet area' box would be used to perform an initial sort through of applications before they are manually arranged by a human reading the descriptions. So I guess you would use that to give a 'first impressions' of your personality. I'm not really sure how best to tick that box.

The university doesn't make public the algorithm used to determine which halls you are put in based on yours and others' choices. So there's no foolproof way of making sure you get your first two choices. Hence, make sure that all your other choices are places you would still be happy to live in, or where you would perhaps compromise on one or two factors.

Quick Reply

Latest