Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirgilis)
    I would always choose campus accommodation for your first year. There's nothing quite like being 2 minutes away from everything. You'll miss barrelling out of the SU at 2am and being able to collapse straight into bed without the faff of ordering taxis to Leam/Cov. You'll also miss being able to roll out of bed at 8.58 for your 9am lecture . It's just more convenient :dontknow:
    thanks!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey I was wondering, is it horrible if I get allotted westwood? like will i be missing out on all the fun stuff happening on the main campus site? How long a walk is it? :confused:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narev)
    Your username is...quite apt. Have you tried reading the first page?
    The time on those quotes is about 4 years old, would like a more recent review not a snide one...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royalpain93)
    Hey I was wondering, is it horrible if I get allotted westwood? like will i be missing out on all the fun stuff happening on the main campus site? How long a walk is it? :confused:
    It's not horrible - Westwood is awesome! You could easily get to varius areas of main campus in about 10-20 minutes depending on whereabouts you're going from/to.

The time on those quotes is about 4 years old, would like a more recent review not a snide one...
    Those reviews are still valid. Although some recent changes that are worth mentioning are that the postroom is now only available in Westwood (you'll need to go there if you're posted a parcel) and there's a shortcut from Westwood to campus via Milburn house (42 on the map) that reduces travel time by a little bit.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmyhe07)
    Do you think on campus accommodation is better than UNITE in terms of standards? I've got so many e-mails from them. A friend of mine has chosen UNITE, but I think on campus accommodation is much better! Any ideas?
    I'd go for campus accommodation, it's much more convenient as you won't have to get the bus in every day-and also you might feel a bit left out not being with any Warwick students in your first year!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's cryfield like? It's so cheap compared to some of the others! Is it because it's not great or just that there's less luxuries?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just applying for my accommodation and noticed that Sherbourne, which I assumed was going to be fairly similar to Bluebell, is actually a lot cheaper (bluebell £5850 sherbourne £4563). I was just wondering if anyone knew the reason for this? I was originally going to put bluebell as my third choice but am wondering if sherbourne would now be better due to the slightly cheaper price? any thoughts?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Westwood isn't bad at all. I actually liked it. It's a pain if your courses are in Gibbet Hill, but if you're in Maths/CS, the shortcut around Millburn house makes getting to lectures fairly painless. I did notice that our block tended to go out more to events in Leam/B'ham/Cov, rather than union events.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not horrible, just more inconvenient if you're up at Gibbet Hill . You'll end up doing union stuff with your flatmates anyway, so the walk back is all part of the fun!

And if you're on your own and don't fancy the walk, the university runs a shuttle bus between Westwood and main campus for you
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ame.)
    Just applying for my accommodation and noticed that Sherbourne, which I assumed was going to be fairly similar to Bluebell, is actually a lot cheaper (bluebell £5850 sherbourne £4563). I was just wondering if anyone knew the reason for this? I was originally going to put bluebell as my third choice but am wondering if sherbourne would now be better due to the slightly cheaper price? any thoughts?
    Probably cos Bluebell is right next to the SU and Sherbourne is quite far out (near Lakeside).
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ame.)
    Size of room: Bluebell has room size of 15.4 sq metres, compared to Sherbourne's 12.69 sq metres.
    Kitchen sharing: Bluebell has around 8 people per flat compared to around 12 for Sherbourne.
    Double bed: Double bed in Bluebell, singles in Sherbourne.

And that's probably about it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    I'd go for campus accommodation, it's much more convenient as you won't have to get the bus in every day-and also you might feel a bit left out not being with any Warwick students in your first year!
    thanks man!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roy064)
    Elaborate.
    One of the students in the Law Society said that Rootes was known for being full of drunk people :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    can anyone help me choose the ones that would be best for me pleassee

i'll be doing English & preferably want an en suite, a 30 week let and corridors only- don't fancy a flat. i know you can only apply for one 30 week en suite and so i'm thinking Westwood & Rootes. i know westwood is far but i travelled 1hr20 to get to my college with a good deal of walking so i don't care too much and i hear the rooms are massive which I would like. nor do i mind that Rootes is loud or whatever, i'm up for going out and i'm pretty good at making myself work. so right now i've decided:

1. JM
    2. Rootes
    3. Westwood

any pointers on where else i could apply? i really want something sociable!! picking 5 options is hard when there isn't much to choose from
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BayBee323)
    can anyone help me choose the ones that would be best for me pleassee

i'll be doing English & preferably want an en suite, a 30 week let and corridors only- don't fancy a flat. i know you can only apply for one 30 week en suite and so i'm thinking Westwood & Rootes. i know westwood is far but i travelled 1hr20 to get to my college with a good deal of walking so i don't care too much and i hear the rooms are massive which I would like. nor do i mind that Rootes is loud or whatever, i'm up for going out and i'm pretty good at making myself work. so right now i've decided:

1. JM
    2. Rootes
    3. Westwood

any pointers on where else i could apply? i really want something sociable!! picking 5 options is hard when there isn't much to choose from
    The options left for you to choose from are Bluebell, Cryfield, Sherbourne, Whitefields so you would need two more out of these. Presumably you're looking for a 30-week let to save money so I'll look at that as well.

Bluebell is probably not a good choice - it's the most expensive and it has flats with high security between them. However, it is ensuite and it does have big rooms.

Sherbourne is similar to Bluebell, although it is a bit cheaper, working out at about £600 more than Jack Martin over the whole year. It is further away but you're not worrying about that. Also its rooms are only slightly smaller than in Westwood.

Cryfield is the cheapest option there and has corridors but the rooms are smaller and it doesn't have ensuite.

Whitefields is made up of lots of small buildings so you wouldn't get the benefits of living in corridors. Also it's not ensuite and the rooms are fairly small as well.

Looking at this, I'd say you should put Sherbourne above Bluebell and put Cryfield above Whitefields.

So the choice comes down to either picking two more 'expensive' choices (Sherbourne/Bluebell) or two more 'cheaper' choices (Cryfield/Whitefields) or a mixture (Sherbourne/Cryfield).

You did say you want somewhere sociable so, although Sherbourne doesn't yet have a reputation yet because it's new, I would expect it to be fairly quiet overall so it would probably be better to put Cryfield as your fourth choice. This leaves you with either Whitefields or Sherbourne to go in the 5th position. Out of those, I'd say Sherbourne would probably be better so put that one as 5th choice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

After agonizing over my accommodation choices for WEEKS now, I finally made my 5 choices! Now I'm going to let things be and let the wind blow where it wants to. Haha.

I noticed that most people here are the same - they are sociable and want to meet new people yet want the occasional peace and quiet for 'me' time and also to study.
    So I guess we all want the best of both worlds eh? XD

To those out there who are still trying to make up your mind, just go with the hall that you feel deep in your gut is the best one for you and your goals for the year. Since we have no control over which one we get into, we'll just have to make do with whatever we get anyway. And either way, I do believe that no matter what hall we get into, we will adapt and somehow realize it was for the better in the end!

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    "A 30-week let covers term time only, and requires you to vacate your room during the Christmas and Easter Vacation. You will not be able to extend the 30-week let. However you will be able to apply for vacation accommodation on campus prior to the start of each vacation period."

I would just like to know how much would the vacation accommodation be? thanks
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xinxin)
    "A 30-week let covers term time only, and requires you to vacate your room during the Christmas and Easter Vacation. You will not be able to extend the 30-week let. However you will be able to apply for vacation accommodation on campus prior to the start of each vacation period."

I would just like to know how much would the vacation accommodation be? thanks
    According to http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/a...naccommodation it's £13 per room per night.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttoby)
    According to http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/a...naccommodation it's £13 per room per night.
    oooh thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone put for the question that goes like this;
    "Will you accept a mixed/single sex area if your preference is not available?"
    I put that I didn't want a single-sex area in the previous question.
    I would rather not go in a single-sex place, but would answering yes to the above question give me a better chance of getting one of my preferred residence?
    Thanks!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 16, 2014
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.