The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I can see what you mean, Wizardtb. I hadn't realised that Westwood was quite that far away from everything. I primarily like the look of it because it apparently has music practice rooms, which seem to be in short supply on campus. But if it's going to be a ridiculously long walk to get anywhere then it might be more trouble than it's worth. Although, I would rather be in slightly quieter accomodation. Not that I don't like to go out or meet people, I definitely want that as well, but I'd rather not live somewhere that's constantly housing parties during the week, etc. Does anyone know which accomodation has the best balance in this respect?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 41
it does have practice rooms, lots in fact, but there are a couple run by BandSoc on campus (by the Graduate bar), the only problem being they are pretty popular, and most people in the bar can hear how *great* you are... there are also some in the arts centre, but you can't book them.

if you're after quieter places on campus I would suggest whitefields or claycroft.
University seems to distort peoples notion of time and distance. A 15 minute walk isn't that long. Anyway it surely isn't much more of a walk to say, the maths building from Westwood as it is from say Cryfield. Anyway as an extra plus, the walk is rather nice, I enjoy walking to Westwood for the lectures that I have there and if you are walking in a group it is very sociable.
Reply 43
exactly. and even if you're not in a group, you can either whack on your music player of choice, or better yet, bring a bike!
and you get more excercise without actually trying...

the good things about walks to Westwood are endless. Just wouldn't recommend if you are a biology student who goes to Gibbet Hill for lectures because that would get a bit annoying!
Wizardtb, I know you put the photos up to make a point, but thankyou for putting them up!! Photos make it much more realistic and easy to visualise (I'm refusing to tempt fate, I'm planning on waiting and seeing if I have an offer before I visit :p:)
Reply 46
its true, the photos do help. I'm surprised people didnt think of it before - but to be fair when i checked google earth ages ago warwick was in a low resolution area so i havent thought about it since.

politics eh scribble_girl? scary.. :p:
aza484
its true, 7the photos do help. I'm surprised people didnt think of it before - but to be fair when i checked google earth ages ago warwick was in a low resolution area so i havent thought about it since.

politics eh scribble_girl? scary.. :p:

I'm a scary girl :p:
Oooh this accomodation malarky is silly to be thinking about now, especially when I don't even know if I've an offer yet and I ought to be revising but.. ah well, it's an incentive, & anywhere I could live that isn't my parental house looks good to me :biggrin:
Reply 48
then "aaaargh" :eek:

suitably scared?

its not silly, its something that you need to be thinking about, even though they are all if's and but's at the moment.

i couldnt wait to move out from home... was fantastic just starting uni for the first time :smile:
minicoopa
I haven't seen you at the SU in ****ing years. where the hell are you!?
x

I am a mole and I live in a hole.

Goin' World B tomorrow but I don't usually go to score or the weekend. At score I'm too tempted to fight the rugby **** and the weekend is ****.
Reply 50
I agree that the rugby lads are mostly *****s, and the weekend is certainly rubbish. Top B, score, varsity thurs., unplugged/time tunnel are my regulars though.
Reply 51
Havent read the rest of the thread but ok Arthur Vick:

Nice rooms and ensuite but antisocial as anything.
If you're coming to uni for an awesome social life then I would HIGHLY recommend that you avoid AV like herpes.

EDIT: And dont forget, you can still get herpes even when using a condom kids.
Reply 52
Rootes rocks... JM comes second but far off... I'd say some whitefields can be OK.... but risky... erm benefactors meant to be OK but they keep to themselves... Yes don't go AV if you are VERY SOCIABLE. It is not the 'quiet area' for nothing!!!
x
Reply 53
Anybody know anything about Benefactors? Are all the rooms en-suite there? And if so, why are they not that expensive?
Reply 54
because in Benefactors you have to share to get the cheaper rent - single ensuite rooms there are more expensive. The rooms are pretty big though.

If you apply here, you run the risk of sharing with someone who's a complete a-hole for the entire year. I know a girl who lived there first year and she enjoyed it despite her roommate not being the most friendly person - it's a small hall, but you do get a large communal lounge as well. Plus it is right next to Rootes and the Union.
Reply 55
I live in Cryfield block 2 and am really enjoying it there:

PROS :
- The rooms and kitchens have been recently redone so everything (carpet, curtains, bathrooms..) is very clean.
- You're a 90second walk to the union / arts centre, 5mins to library.
- Because there's a road to cross between the Cryfield residences and the campus it filters a lot of the noise from the union at night because ppl don't walk past on their way home.
- You're right by the playing fields so you can go for a run there at the weekends (which I quite like doing)
- Lots of European students on 6month Erasmus exchange programs stay there and they're a lot of fun. On the minus side, they leave after 6 months.

CONS:
- The rooms are probably the smallest on campus - you still get a desk, chair, wardrobe, bookshelf, sink and floorspace for one person to sleep on the floor. (I don't find it too much of an issue but if I had a guitar or speakers or any large piece of equipment it would be a problem.)
- The walls are REALLY thin, can hear keys turning in locks, doors closing (not even slamming) If you live on a floor with a kitchen you will hear a lot of noise. I'm really lucky to be on the top floor and the kitchen we use is on the floor below.
- Add an extra 5min to your walk to TEsco compared with other halls.
Reply 56
Yeh people don't seem to really consider Cryfield when thinking about accomodation, but for 60 pounds a week, you really really should! It's 40 pounds less than Arthur Vick, and seriously, it doesn't seem like AV is worth it now!
Sure, it's not en-suite, but bathrooms are in abundance - I have never had to queue for the shower/toilet, EVER (in the 1 and a half terms I've been here), the kitchens are absolutely massive, the rooms are not that small, and the physical closeness with everyone around you guaruntees you make good friends really quickly.
The location is perfect - not too close to the Union to hear all the racket, but close enough to 1) be able to stumble home ****faced 2) to wake up 10 mins before a lecture and make it there.
The only negative thing is, like Oceane said, the walls are VERY thin, doors opening and closing sound like slamming, you can hear the taps through the walls too which kills. If you like playing loud music or engage in loud 'activities' i wouldn't suggest Cryfield, but otherwise, it's perfect, and c'mon, you save 40 pounds a week compared to AV for an experience that's 40 times as fun!
mysteria
Yeh people don't seem to really consider Cryfield when thinking about accomodation, but for 60 pounds a week, you really really should! It's 40 pounds less than Arthur Vick, and seriously, it doesn't seem like AV is worth it now!
Sure, it's not en-suite, but bathrooms are in abundance - I have never had to queue for the shower/toilet, EVER (in the 1 and a half terms I've been here), the kitchens are absolutely massive, the rooms are not that small, and the physical closeness with everyone around you guaruntees you make good friends really quickly.
The location is perfect - not too close to the Union to hear all the racket, but close enough to 1) be able to stumble home ****faced 2) to wake up 10 mins before a lecture and make it there.
The only negative thing is, like Oceane said, the walls are VERY thin, doors opening and closing sound like slamming, you can hear the taps through the walls too which kills. If you like playing loud music or engage in loud 'activities' i wouldn't suggest Cryfield, but otherwise, it's perfect, and c'mon, you save 40 pounds a week compared to AV for an experience that's 40 times as fun!

Cryfield does have really good kitchens. Out of all the accomodation I have been to I think Cryfield kitchens are great. Felt more spacious than my Rootes kitchen, which can get so crowded sometimes.
Reply 58
mysteria

so how many people are there normally sharing a bathroom/kitchen?
Reply 59
Cryfield ( - Oceane)

PROS :
- The rooms and kitchens have been recently redone so everything (carpet, curtains, bathrooms..) is very clean.
- You're a 90second walk to the union / arts centre, 5mins to library.
- Because there's a road to cross between the Cryfield residences and the campus it filters a lot of the noise from the union at night because ppl don't walk past on their way home.
- You're right by the playing fields so you can go for a run there at the weekends (which I quite like doing)
- Lots of European students on 6month Erasmus exchange programs stay there and they're a lot of fun. On the minus side, they leave after 6 months.

CONS:
- The rooms are probably the smallest on campus - you still get a desk, chair, wardrobe, bookshelf, sink and floorspace for one person to sleep on the floor. (I don't find it too much of an issue but if I had a guitar or speakers or any large piece of equipment it would be a problem.)
- The walls are REALLY thin, can hear keys turning in locks, doors closing (not even slamming) If you live on a floor with a kitchen you will hear a lot of noise. I'm really lucky to be on the top floor and the kitchen we use is on the floor below.
- Add an extra 5min to your walk to TEsco compared with other halls.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending