The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

I've put Bluebell JM and Sherbourne as my three top ones, how likely is it I will get one of them?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
how many preferences are people putting down for accomodation?
Original post by omar4
Hey whats the mix in the accommodation? Like how many internationals and nationals and guys and girls in the same floor?

From my experience there's no defined nationality split, but the gender split is exactly half and half in each flat.
Reply 7223
Original post by Toughtee
From my experience there's no defined nationality split, but the gender split is exactly half and half in each flat.

Cool. Which accommodation were/are you in?

LOL. Huge LOL. I'm in Covent Garden. That kind of arithmetic doesn't work here darling.
Original post by omar4
Cool. Which accommodation were/are you in?

Claycroft, it has a quite small first year intake so it doesn't get talked about much.
Original post by Hopefulbunny
LOL. Huge LOL. I'm in Covent Garden. That kind of arithmetic doesn't work here darling.

My apologies for any offence caused, I sincerely didn't mean it. I've not actually met any transsexual people in uni accommodation, hence my previous comment based on my own personal experience.
Original post by hannah697
how many preferences are people putting down for accomodation?

You have to put down 5 min, 6 maximum (I think). However, I don't really want to go to any outside my top 3, so..
Reply 7228
Claycroft, it has a quite small first year intake so it doesn't get talked about much.

Claycroft is my 3rd preference. What are your views on lakeside and heronbank? Alot of ppl talk abt lakeside for postgrads.
Original post by omar4
Claycroft is my 3rd preference. What are your views on lakeside and heronbank? Alot of ppl talk abt lakeside for postgrads.

In all honesty, I don't have much experience with those. I know that they are popular however and are very good quality, but you do pay the price for that. The area they are in is really nice as well.
Original post by H0PEL3SS
You have to put down 5 min, 6 maximum (I think). However, I don't really want to go to any outside my top 3, so..

I don't know whether to put down 5 or 6....I don't want to be put in an accomodation I hate because I only put 5 as opposed to 6 down but I don't know what I would put as no 6...
I don't know whether to put down 5 or 6....I don't want to be put in an accomodation I hate because I only put 5 as opposed to 6 down but I don't know what I would put as no 6...

I don't think putting down 5 rather than 6 will make you more likely to get one you put down. If there is one that you really really really don't want to go into, then I'd put down 6. If you're not in that situation, I'd still put down 6 as there's no reason not to unless you really don't care and can't be bothered to click on a 6th option.

Are there any halls that you definitely don't want?
If I end up in a noisy location where I can't work or sleep I'd consider moving off campus. The prospect of fire alarms wrecking my sleep and trying to work as neighbours drill for oil in the mattress is appalling. Ok yes I admit I'm totally unreasonable. I'm kept awake by hoovering in hotels and I'm just infuriated that the couple next door didn't invite me to join them. It's only polite.
But is it possible to find a room of campus but close by at Christmas?
Original post by brittanna
I don't think putting down 5 rather than 6 will make you more likely to get one you put down. If there is one that you really really really don't want to go into, then I'd put down 6. If you're not in that situation, I'd still put down 6 as there's no reason not to unless you really don't care and can't be bothered to click on a 6th option.

Are there any halls that you definitely don't want?

Probably Cryfield.
Although if I were to put a number 6 down, it would be Westwood...but I read somewhere if you put Westwood down anywhere on your accomodation you'll most likely get it and I obviously want another hall more than westwood :frown:
Probably Cryfield.
Although if I were to put a number 6 down, it would be Westwood...but I read somewhere if you put Westwood down anywhere on your accomodation you'll most likely get it and I obviously want another hall more than westwood :frown:

Why do you not want Westwood?

Also, when I lived in Westwood a couple of years ago, there were quite a few people that firmed Warwick, didn't put Westwood down and still got put in Westwood. All that putting westwood down would do is guarantee that you don't get cryfield. But Westwood really does get a lot of unwarranted hate form people that haven't stayed there. Almost anyone that has stayed there will telly you that the negatives are massively exaggerated. The only exception to this is if you'll be in gibbet hill (doing a biologyish subject) in which case you would have a 25-30 minute walk every day.
Original post by brittanna
Why do you not want Westwood?

Also, when I lived in Westwood a couple of years ago, there were quite a few people that firmed Warwick, didn't put Westwood down and still got put in Westwood. All that putting westwood down would do is guarantee that you don't get cryfield. But Westwood really does get a lot of unwarranted hate form people that haven't stayed there. Almost anyone that has stayed there will telly you that the negatives are massively exaggerated. The only exception to this is if you'll be in gibbet hill (doing a biologyish subject) in which case you would have a 25-30 minute walk every day.

I don't have anything against Westwood - it seems quite nice & I don't think I would hate being there or anything - but I would just prefer somewhere that is ensuite/ a bit closer to campus. I don't want to risk missing out on somewhere I would prefer more because Westwood is under subscribed and they saw that it was on my form so put me in it despite it being low down on my preferences if that makes any sense.
Reply 7236
What are the chances of getting into lakeside and heronbank? I dont suppose you get them as easily as westwood.
Also, dont most of the students take bicycles considering the size of the campus. Your not gona go just from ur room to ur class and back.
Original post by omar4

Also, dont most of the students take bicycles considering the size of the campus. Your not gona go just from ur room to ur class and back.

Very good question. I used advanced search for bycicle or bike in Warwick threads and drew a blank. That was my first use of advanced search so I probably made an error. It would be good to know if bikes are common at Warwick.
When I was there I noted that the strong wind could make riding dangerous and I didn't notice many bikes being ridden.
Original post by omar4
What are the chances of getting into lakeside and heronbank? I dont suppose you get them as easily as westwood.

I don't think bicycles are particularly necessary as most classes tend to be in the center of campus (unless you do biomedical sciences which has its classes in the medical school) which means they're pretty close to all accommodations. Only time i really wished I had a bicycle was when I had to go the post room but that only happened like once a month..

However, you still do see a lot bicycles on campus and you wouldn't look out of place if you did ride one. It just really depends on whether you're comfortable walking or not and waking up a few minutes earlier to get to your classes.
Original post by Hopefulbunny
If I end up in a noisy location where I can't work or sleep I'd consider moving off campus. The prospect of fire alarms wrecking my sleep and trying to work as neighbours drill for oil in the mattress is appalling. Ok yes I admit I'm totally unreasonable. I'm kept awake by hoovering in hotels and I'm just infuriated that the couple next door didn't invite me to join them. It's only polite.
But is it possible to find a room of campus but close by at Christmas?

Where did you apply for accommodation, if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply

Latest