The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

How is life like living up in Sherbourne/Lakeside/Heronbank now? Are the pros and cons just as relevant or have new ones developed?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by MintyMilk
I'll probably just be discreet about it and set modest limits on up and down speeds within the client.

Wouldn't recommend using them at all.

ResNet regularly bans people downloading illegally from connecting to the network - you have to sign in with your University IT username/password.
Original post by kch1
Is single sex better or mixed better in accommodations? I'm not sure which one to pick!

There's only single-sex female, and it tends to be people who don't want to live with males for religious reasons (e.g. some Muslim females)
Original post by munkie
There's only single-sex female, and it tends to be people who don't want to live with males for religious reasons (e.g. some Muslim females)

No, there are single sex male areas as well, just not as many of them (because there's less people who put their name down for them). There's two questions on the application form: "(1): Would you prefer to live in a mixed or single sex area?" and "(2): Would you mind the other option?" (not actual wording, but something close). What happens is that they first match people who said they wanted single-sex and aren't willing to go for the other option (those religious reasons you mentioned, mostly), then round it off with people who said they'd prefer it but wouldn't mind, and match those together, and finally use the people who said they'd prefer mixed but didn't mind to fill the last few gaps: I was one of the latter group, last year: said I'd prefer mixed but didn't mind, and ended up in a single-sex area. (I'm male, for reference).
Do all of the halls have WiFi in the bedrooms?
Original post by idkwhatimdoing
Do all of the halls have WiFi in the bedrooms?

Yes.
Original post by BlueSam3
No, there are single sex male areas as well

I do the allocations for my hall and I haven't had to create a deliberately single-sex male flat before. I get so few "prefer single sex" "won't accept mixed sex" from male applicants (i.e. 2 or 3 at most) that it can probably be assumed they've ticked it by mistake.
Original post by amyng24
What's the closest accommodation (preferably with en suite) for someone studying biomedical science?

Jack Martin, probably. Maybe Bluebell? Biomedical science has a lot of stuff up on Gibbet Hill, I think, so it's a bit away from everywhere (in particular, Westwood is actually a fairly long way from your lectures).

Original post by munkie
I do the allocations for my hall and I haven't had to create a deliberately single-sex male flat before. I get so few "prefer single sex" "won't accept mixed sex" from male applicants (i.e. 2 or 3 at most) that it can probably be assumed they've ticked it by mistake.

Yeah, I realise it's rare, but not non-existent. I presume last year there were slightly less than enough to fill one flat, which is why I got used as the filler.
Reply 7888
What's the closest accommodation(preferably ensuite) to the economics department?
So where is everyone putting? I'm thinking rootes, sherbourne, claycroft, jack martin, tocil but i have no clue what order! And what is everyone putting in the about me section??
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jessie98
So where is everyone putting? I'm thinking rootes, sherbourne, arthur vick, jack martin, tocil but i have no clue what order! And what is everyone putting in the about me section??

you can't put Arthur Vick and Jack Martin lmao
Original post by sainsburys wraps
you can't put Arthur Vick and Jack Martin lmao

how many do you even put down?
What are the best halls location wise for a Modern Languages student? And I know these things could vary year by year but which halls have the best reputations for social life/partying?
Original post by tayob
What's the closest accommodation(preferably ensuite) to the economics department?

If you want an ensuite accommodation that is near the Economics Department and Humanities building (according to my informations, that's where some lectures take place), the closest are, in that order, Jack Martin, Arthur Vick and then Bluebell. Heronbank, Lakeside and Sherbourne are a bit farther, but still not miles away. If youare not too fussed about sharing your bathroom, then Whitefields andTocil are greatly located. Rootes too.
Acc

Original post by jessie98
So where is everyone putting? I'm thinking rootes, sherbourne, arthur vick, jack martin, tocil but i have no clue what order! And what is everyone putting in the about me section??

I am waiting for it to open!
Reply 7895
Thank you!

Original post by Midaftann
If you want an ensuite accommodation that is near the Economics Department and Humanities building (according to my informations, that's where some lectures take place), the closest are, in that order, Jack Martin, Arthur Vick and then Bluebell. Heronbank, Lakeside and Sherbourne are a bit farther, but still not miles away. If youare not too fussed about sharing your bathroom, then Whitefields andTocil are greatly located. Rootes too.
Is cry fields a competitive accommodation? I don't really fancy spending a couple of thousand more?
Original post by Middriver
Is cry fields a competitive accommodation? I don't really fancy spending a couple of thousand more?

I'm planning on applying there too, what subject are you studying? :smile:
Original post by economicss
I'm planning on applying there too, what subject are you studying? :smile:

Accounting and finance, although I hope to be able to swap to an economics based course :colondollar:, you?
Original post by Middriver
Accounting and finance, although I hope to be able to swap to an economics based course :colondollar:, you?

Economics :smile: Will hopefully see you there then! What other accommodations are you considering putting?

Quick Reply

Latest