The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

nomasaya
I just have a brief question. It says they guarantee the accommodation for the first year. What about second and third? Do you HAVE to live off campus or is there away to stay there?

tnx

I think all 1st year undergrads are guaranteed accommodation. You have to leave campus in your second year unles you have a disability. ~ half students go back to campus in their 3rd year. A fair number seem to prefer staying off campus though.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
You're guaranteed campus in final year only if you're international. I wouldnt say half go back to campus in 3rd year unless you include intl students... much less than that... Everyone else just has to apply and its luck whether or not you get it.

Oldbat - westwood is miles away I would avoid it if possible!!!!

Regarding AV... if you dont mind having a pretty quiet kitchen and arent planning on going out a lot then by all means go for AV. They're not bad halls or anything, just not the most sociable compared to rootes etc...
Rootes is probs best bet :smile:
Reply 143
Can anyone recommend which would be the best accomodation that is quiet and not too crazy but also relatively cheap? I know AV is meant to be quiet, but it's pretty expensive.
Cambyses
Can anyone recommend which would be the best accomodation that is quiet and not too crazy but also relatively cheap? I know AV is meant to be quiet, but it's pretty expensive.

Westwood is quiet and cheap, but if you make out youre a quiet person on the accommodation application form, they should put you in a quiet spot. If you dont like it when you get there, you may be able to swap rooms with someone anyway.
Cambyses

hmm... Tocil maybe? Next year it's going to be £75 per week, although you do have to pay in the Christmas and Easter holidays as well. It's got a good location too - a bit nearer to Tesco than most of the other halls, right next to the sports hall and very close to the teaching buildings. I guess if the rumour's right and the temporary student union goes on the Jack Martin field you might get some noise from that though.
Other than Tocil, as El Matematico says - maybe Westwood, as long as you don't mind a slightly longer walk to the SU and teaching buildings :smile: If you emphasise that you really want a quiet area on your accommodation form you should get it :smile:
Reply 146
Okay, cheers. :smile: I think Westwood looks good as I don't reckon I'd mind the walk too much. Tocil looks good but I'm a bit wary about paying in holidays, since I would definitely be coming down to London in holidays.
Noooooo you say that now but when everyone else is a 2 min walk away from the union and you're 15 it WILL begin to piss you off.

I would say best bet is to go for rootes and say that you want to be in a quiet section. They should then stick you on a top floor/where the resident tutor stays so it'll be quiet but you can go downstairs for parties :p:
Reply 148
Actually, I think Claycroft might be the best place to be with union closed next year- aren't they building the tent in front of it?

So it has a decent price, insanely good location to Tescos, great location near academic buildings and on top of that- right next to the sports building/gym.

Big rooms, good kitchen, and two people per toilet/shower. Really not bad.
Wizardtb
Actually, I think Claycroft might be the best place to be with union closed next year- aren't they building the tent in front of it?

So it has a decent price, insanely good location to Tescos, great location near academic buildings and on top of that- right next to the sports building/gym.

Big rooms, good kitchen, and two people per toilet/shower. Really not bad.

I was also considering Claycroft for the same reasons but heard its very international? Also a tent is not gonna be very sound proof and I'm snappy without a good nights sleeps lol :redface: x
Reply 150
Yeah, not sure how much I'd like a big tent with loud music/drunk people, right beside where I'm trying to get a night's sleep.. Then again it would be good not to be ages and ages away from that - I have enough of that where I live now, always have to travel an hour to go out anywhere.
I would just want a happy medium, being able to get peace and quiet most of the time but still be able to play a bit of music and have a party occasionally.
Hmm yeah I would have suggested Claycroft but you have to pay in the holidays, making it more expensive than AV and JM I think... It does seem quite international.
Reply 152
Wizardtb

What are they doing to the union? Any ideas how long it is expected to take?
Reply 153
Swinely
What are they doing to the union? Any ideas how long it is expected to take?

Apparently a total rebuild on a new site (still on campus though). It should be ready for when we are in the second year, or so I have heard. In the meantime we get a temporary union which everybody says will be better than it actually sounds. :biggrin:
Reply 154
mangomaz
Noooooo you say that now but when everyone else is a 2 min walk away from the union and you're 15 it WILL begin to piss you off.

I would say best bet is to go for rootes and say that you want to be in a quiet section. They should then stick you on a top floor/where the resident tutor stays so it'll be quiet but you can go downstairs for parties :p:

I live in Westwood... we think its fine. But the walk is annoying if one is rather inebriated and standing in the union facing the long walk home.
Reply 155
can u smoke shisha in JM? I want middle ground (i.e. not completely mental at all times), 1st choice JM 2nd Rootes what should i have for 3rd?
mpat89
can u smoke shisha in JM? I want middle ground (i.e. not completely mental at all times), 1st choice JM 2nd Rootes what should i have for 3rd?

my 1st choice:jm
2nd: rootes
3rd: im stuck, im thinking clayycroft,or cryfield
Reply 157
I don't think anywhere stops shisha, its perfectly legal.
aza484
I don't think anywhere stops shisha, its perfectly legal.

yeh there will be shisha at the societies party on wednesday..so I am sure where ever you live you will be fine. You can do whatever as long as it is legal I think!!
No a lot of halls don't let you smoke shisha in rooms. Coals burn carpets etc.... I think if you're discreet it might be ok but I think its a general nono.

Quick Reply

Latest