Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ok a question i need answering:

is JM actually that boring?!

it was my first choice but then people kept telling me it was really boring and everyone just kept themselves to themselves etc, but is this true? i'm quite a social person but there are times when i just wanna take a nap or read a book quietly, but i don't wanna be in a place where everyone is boring/ ignores each other.. so would JM suit me?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ifyougotthemoney)
    ok a question i need answering:

is JM actually that boring?!

it was my first choice but then people kept telling me it was really boring and everyone just kept themselves to themselves etc, but is this true? i'm quite a social person but there are times when i just wanna take a nap or read a book quietly, but i don't wanna be in a place where everyone is boring/ ignores each other.. so would JM suit me?
    Yeah it sounds like it would suit you. Most JM kitchens I know are fairly lively. Obviously there's an element of luck as to who you are put with. I'm in AV and I've got such a good coridoor and we always go out, but most of the other AV kitchens are sooooo boring lol.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benched)
    Read through all the post and stuff I could find, still have a few questions where I have probably skipped through posts. Though really I'm just looking for some recommendations

For just location would want to be in Claycroft/Tocil/AV/JM

-A place where sleeping is possible for 5-6 hours a day
    -Locks on kitchen cupboards
    -Sink in room

Any thoughts anyone? Open to anything really but if I had to make decisions on where to go it would be on those
    There's a sink in every room other than Claycroft (where you share between another person, along with a bathroom).

Locks - I don't have locks on the cupboards in JM, and I don't get food stolen either. Perhaps the more people to a kitchen you have, the more likely you will have people who steal food. New JM kitchens are much nicer than the old JM kitchens (even though the old JM kitchens have a small cupboard that you can lock).

Most places you can sleep 5-6 hours a day, but that isn't guaranteed as you will inevitably have a 4am fire alarm It's all luck - there's one JM block that has had none this term but my one has had more than one per week on average, and most of them between 10pm and 6am. It's all luck. Again, with noisy housemates relies on luck - Tocil you can lock your front door and prevent people from outside your flat from getting in, whereas with corridors you have 100+ people in the building who can go anywhere. If someone is playing some loud music after midnight, you have a right to complain to the warden as there is a quiet rule.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milch)
    Yeah it sounds like it would suit you. Most JM kitchens I know are fairly lively. Obviously there's an element of luck as to who you are put with. I'm in AV and I've got such a good coridoor and we always go out, but most of the other AV kitchens are sooooo boring lol.
    thank you, this is really helpful! i will definitely be putting JM as my first choice now!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can we apply for accommodation yet then?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingharry666)
    Can we apply for accommodation yet then?

Not yet, check this page now and again or this thread.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Current Students I Need YOU!!
    Over the past month I've started to revamp the first few posts of this thread to create the ultimate accommodation resource for first year accommodation. Now I want your input into what you think your accommodation is like. What's good, whats bad and even some photos. Just spend 10 minutes of your time writing about the halls you are staying/stayed in and I will give +rep for your efforts (perhaps more if you have got photos).

An example response if given below. I need a 2-3 sentence summary and for the pro/con bit you can write a paragraph or write it bullets, it doesn't really matter. Photos are not required but if you have any that will be awesome Just post your stuff in the thread and you will get credit in the first two or three posts of this thread (as well as +rep).

Can you fill me in??Block:
    Summary:
    Pros:
    Cons:
    Photos:

Example: Jack Martin
    Block: JM1 Kitchen 9
    Summary: Best location on campus, en-suite with new kitchens in some blocks. A few quiet people who I don't see much and about 25% international: some more friendly than others. 30 week let means moving everything out during the holidays.
    Pros: JM is possibly the most ideally located halls if you have lectures at Central or Gibbet Hill campus. Within 2 minutes from the SU, Costcutter, ATMs, launderette, health centre, taxi rank and 2 bus stops. 5 minutes from lecture theatres on Library Road and Sports Centre and 7 minutes from Computer Sciences and Maths (where most my lectures are). Tesco is about 12 minutes away. Everyone has ensuite bathrooms and JM1 has new kitchens for 2009/10 (JM3 still has old kitchens - hopefully they will do it up for 2010/11), containing massive storage space. Kitchens cleaned 3 times a week, bathroom once a week and bedroom once a fortnight. JM1 even contains a lift which is useful when moving in and out. Being close the the SU means that inviting people over to your block is a viable option for pre drinking and stuff so you can turn the kitchen into a social hub if you so wish.
    Cons: 30 week lets mean you have to move everything out during the holidays, even stuff in the kitchen (utensils, food). You get a small lockable cupboard (and a trunk room shared with everyone else in the block) and that's it. It snowed on the weekend I had to return in January meaning I had to take the train and live from a small suitcase for 1 week before the rest of my stuff was brought up. 3 of the 4 blocks this term had a lot of fire alarms. My block had had more than one per week on average, most of them happening between 10pm and 6am in the second term. High number of international students who form social groups with people who speak their native language so I don't see them as much. My corridor seems disjoint at times but there is always two other corridors on my floor so there are enough of us for great nights out. (JM is considered to be more social than AV, but it actually depends on what you do and how much effort you and others are willing to give.) Some blocks have better facilities than others (namely new kitchens and a lift in JM1 and old kitchens and no lift in JM3, also JM3 is 1 minute further away from everything else than JM1), but you still pay the same amount wherever you live - so it's a bit of luck where you get placed. 12 people to one fridge and one freezer - there are 12 spaces but some kitchens have two fridges between 10 or so. No common rooms like AV, but our kitchen is larger than theirs. Also no launderette in the building, but it is a 2 minute walk from JM1.
    Photos
    Old JM kitchens, taken 3 years ago (this looks like JM4 Kitchen 9 or JM3 Kitchen 9):

Even taken 3 years ago I think that the old kitchens still look nearly identical to how they look in the photos.
    New JM1 Kitchen, taken 2009:

Note the two cookers instead of one :yy:

Rooms:

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Block: Cryfield 1
    Summary: cheap and cheerful! some kitchens are new, some old, but they are slowly being re-done. I have never had a problem sharing bathrooms, we have 5 loos, 2 showers and 3 shower/bath combos for 23 people which is plenty. Also never had problems with food being stolen.

Pros: Cheap!! being the only non-ensuite, 30 week let means it works out about 500£ a year cheaper than the next cheapest option. As a result of this there are far fewer snobby people than some (though not all) I have met who live in JM. We arent all cheapskates, we go out plenty but not ridiculous amounts and dont tend to spend money willy-nilly. I have never had to wait for the loo or shower and theyre cleaned every day. Although it looks far out, its actually really close to the SU, costcutters etc, and its no further to gibbet hill than any of the others really (other than rootes), just in a diff direction. Its separated from central campus not by distance but by a road, which tends to mean its a quieter area at night. Also the burger van is en route to cryfield after a night out, rather than a trek in the opposite direction if you live in the JM/AV area! There is a separate launderette in the very near vicinity as well. I have never had any food stolen, despite the lack of locks in the kitchen. There are common rooms on the ground floor of each building, which only tend to be used by the people on that floor, but then their kitchens are a bit smaller i think (altho less people to a kitchen, as there are 3 rather than 2 for slightly more people, so i guess it balances).

Cons: Its not ensuite, although personally i dont find this a problem at all. The rooms are small, about two thirds the size of westwood rooms, although theyre huge! I can fit all my stuff in fine, the people surrounding me have a lott more stuff than i do and they manage too. if you plan to bring a keyboard or anything similar then id opt for somewhere slightly larger but otherwise its not a problem, extra space is just a bonus! The corridors are narrow, slightly prison-like i guess, but i like it as theyre very straight and long so you can be nosy and see all the way down! The kitchens and bathrooms are in the middle so not too far away. Your rooms dont get cleaned, which i guess is a con, but i dont mind this at all as it means the cleaners dont wake me up!! Theres a vacuum available for use.

Photos: none sorry
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    Current Students I Need YOU!!
    Over the past month I've started to revamp the first few posts of this thread to create the ultimate accommodation resource for first year accommodation. Now I want your input into what you think your accommodation is like. What's good, whats bad and even some photos. Just spend 10 minutes of your time writing about the halls you are staying/stayed in and I will give +rep for your efforts (perhaps more if you have got photos).

An example response if given below. I need a 2-3 sentence summary and for the pro/con bit you can write a paragraph or write it bullets, it doesn't really matter. Photos are not required but if you have any that will be awesome Just post your stuff in the thread and you will get credit in the first two or three posts of this thread (as well as +rep).
    This is a very good idea!! +rep Especially the photos, because right now we're making decisions on accommodation that we haven't even seen yet!!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I reckon I've decided JM or AV as my first choice. Most likely go with JM, there doesn't seem to be that much difference and it is cheaper.

Rootes as my second choice. More because I couldn't decide out of the others and Rootes seems like the most sociable. If I am not getting the one I want (JM/AV) I may as well have a good time right.

Cryfield will most likely be my last choice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Block: Arthur Vick 2

Summary: Really nice, I'm glad I chose here in the end! Lovely rooms/kitchens/living rooms. It's quite expensive though. If you're stuck choosing between JM and AV then I would say that on average JM is more social. (but you could always be lucky in AV or unlucky in JM so nothing's guaranteed). AV is nicer though if thats what you're looking for.

Pros:
    Fairly close to the SU
    Rooms are big and really nice!
    Ensuite
    Kitchen is big and we have living rooms attached to our kitchens (where we hang out the most!)
    Launderette on bottom floor
    Not too noisy (our kitchen is an exception )

Cons:
    Quite expensive
    Annoying having to move your stuff out at the end of term
    Social life can be bad (Although some are social)
    Cleaners dont like the kitchens being messy
    (Very) strict warden

I'll add more when I think of them. Hope this helps
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miml)
    I reckon I've decided JM or AV as my first choice. Most likely go with JM, there doesn't seem to be that much difference and it is cheaper.

Rootes as my second choice. More because I couldn't decide out of the others and Rootes seems like the most sociable. If I am not getting the one I want (JM/AV) I may as well have a good time right.

Cryfield will most likely be my last choice.
    Go for JM if you like going out more. AV rooms/kitchens are slightly nicer than JM though. You're choices are good, last year I went for AV,Rootes + Cryfield.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. Is there a student hall for an antisocial bookworm? Finance MSc.

2. Anyone got pictures of these student halls? Its quite ridiculous that they ask students to commit thousands of GBP towards accommodation without a proper set of pictures. What kind of property sells like that?

PS/Edit1: I've exhausted all Warwick website info, so I'm just asking for additional opinions or other sources - thx.

PS/Edit2: Basically for postgrad it comes down to 4 halls: Claycroft, Heronbank, Lakeside, Tocil.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poland)

2. Anyone got pictures of these student halls? Its quite ridiculous that they ask students to commit thousands of GBP towards accommodation without a proper set of pictures. What kind of property sells like that?
    1) Probably Arthur Vick
    2) There are some on the website. There's a few in the first two posts, but it's still under construction at the moment as this is a community driven thread.

(Current Students I need you to contribute :yy:)
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poland)

PS/Edit1: I've exhausted all Warwick website info, so I'm just asking for additional opinions or other sources - thx.

PS/Edit2: Basically for postgrad it comes down to 4 halls: Claycroft, Heronbank, Lakeside, Tocil.
    Yeah, I just realised you were Postgrad when looking at the other thread. I think that Tocil is the most sociable of the four halls. Lakeside is the only hall without first year undergraduates living in (even though you should be living with Postgraduates whatever you choose). Heronbank, Lakeside and Claycroft are all in quieter areas, while Claycroft is very close to Tesco (a plus for food shopping).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Block: Cryfield 3

Summary:
    Cheapest place on campus, rooms are relatively small, corridoors are narrow, but you soon get used to that. Location wise it depends on what you're doing. Its a couple of mins away from the Union/Costcutters but around 10 mins away from the maths block.

Pros:
    -Its cheap.
    -You have a common room (although I admit they only seem to be regularly used by ground floor people)
    -Kitchens are fine (if you're lucky you'll be in one of the bigger ones with decent views outside)
    -They mostly seem to be filled with maths/life sciences people (maybe because we're keen on saving money).
    -Location is pretty good in general, plus there's a car park thats never really full about a minute away, so moving in and out is made SLIGHTLY easier.
    -You have a sink in your room!
    - You have some space where you can keep your belongings during the holidays.
    - A number of international students live here. Mostly Chinese, but also a fair few Europeans.

Cons:
    - Upstairs people seem to be an extremely quiet bunch, I mean we have a common room capable of seating around 20-25, but they NEVER seem to use it.
    -Halls mostly seem to be filled with maths/life sciences people. If you're an English/Languages student and you want to go out but no-one else wants to because they've got a lab report or an analysis deadline, I guess it can get pretty frustrating at times.
    -Walls/ceilings are pretty thin. So if you're living/partying near the resident tutors late in the evening, they can get pretty pissed off after a while (although if you ask me, what did they expect living amongst a bunch of first years?)
    -You have to move out at the end of term.
    -You have no control over the heating in your room. Most of the time its fine, but depending on where you are in the block some rooms can get pretty cold.
    -Cleaners sometimes use the common room to play bingo/bitch about the state of the kitchens.
    -Quite far from Tescos, but the exercise is probably good for you!

All in all if I have to pick a halls of residence again, I'd choose this place.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your contributions so far everyone

Does no one on here live in Claycroft/Tocil/Whitefields/Rootes/Westwood/Heronbank/Benefactors :holmes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Block: Heronbank (North Court)
    Summary: Heronbank is 39 week let en-suite accommodation about 7 minutes walk from main campus and about 17 minutes walk from Tesco. The undergraduate block is one building split into North Court and East Court. There are 8 people to a flat but the term flat is really just for administrative purposes (much like the North/East division) as once you are in the building you can get to any other 'flat' you like.

Pros:
    -It is 39 week let so you can either stay over the holidays or go home and leave everything there
    -There's an integral launderette on the ground floor of East Court which, if you dislike the outdoors, it's possible to get to without ever leaving the building
    -The rooms are a very good size with more than enough storage space. There's also a comfortable chair next to the desk which if you are me you can keep your lab coat on but it is probably quite good for sitting on when the excitement from spinning round on the desk chair wears off
    -It is next to a lake (more of a glorified pond) so there are a lot of ducks, geese, swans and other assorted birds that make bizarre noises around if you like that kind of thing
    -Bathrooms are cleaned every week, rooms every other week and kitchens Monday, Wednesday and Friday. It depends where in the building you are as to what time the rooms are cleaned. For me, the bathroom only weeks are about 9:30 am and the room weeks are 9 am which I guess some people might consider a con but the cleaners are very amenable and you can either put a note on your door requesting no cleaning or ask them to come back later
    -For sociable people the corridor set up will be a pro as you are free to roam through flats and meet people from all over the building if you so wish
    -There is an absurd amount of cupboard space in the kitchen
    -No escaping the fact it is one of the quietest halls on campus. This is a definite pro for me so that is why it is here but for people who like to make a lot of noise and enjoy frequent fire alarms this will be a con. Being quieter does not equate to being less sociable as the majority of flats are quite outgoing and friendly, it just means there is a higher frequency of borderline recluses, like me.

Cons:
    -Not the most expensive halls per week but the 39 week let means it is the most expensive undergraduate accommodation overall
    -I have heard numerous complains it is too far from main campus but personally I do not think it is a problem (it takes me 15 minutes to get to Gibbet Hill, 7 minutes to the library or Arts Centre). The same goes for the distance to Tesco which many people (unnecessarily) overcome by getting their shopping delivered or by getting a taxi
    -The cookers are fairly unreliable - they seem to be semi-autonomous and decide themselves what temperature to be set at once they have been switched on
    -For 8 people the fridge is not really big enough, with not even 8 shelves
    -Not enough herons about to warrant it being called Heronbank though I am sure most people can overlook this one

I have some photographs somewhere, will add at a later date.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone, cant wait to start at warwick! just wondered what the deal is in relation to having non uni people stay in your room? (basically if my boyfriend came to stay!)

are they very strict?

thanks
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecg)
    hey everyone, cant wait to start at warwick! just wondered what the deal is in relation to having non uni people stay in your room? (basically if my boyfriend came to stay!)

are they very strict?

thanks
    The rules are you have to write the name of the person on the warden's door and tell them how long they are going to stay.

But they don't really notice :p: As long as the cleaners don't notice two people living in one room constantly then it is fine. But people come over and stay the weekend/stay the week all the time.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 30, 2014
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.