The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Welcome to The Warwick Accommodation Guide!
Current students CLICK HERE to Contribute! (+rep)

Important

•

This thread is currently being updated for 2013 entry. As info gets released over the coming months, I'll try update the guide.

•

Last year, accommodation applications for first year undergraduates opened on the 31st May 2012, and are set to open this year in May 2013. You will have until 31st July 2013 to submit your application, although it doesn't matter when you submit as long as you do it before 31st July. Allocation is done on a ballot held after results day in September. Make sure you apply for accommodation before 31st July 2013, regardless of whether you firm or insure Warwick. Follow this link to apply here!

•

The way allocation works is detailed in the Principles of Allocation. In short, those with medical requirements get priority to those who firm Warwick, who in turn get priority over those who insure Warwick. If you apply after the deadline you are last in line.

Got an offer from Warwick? Going to put it as your firm or insurance? Well now you need to start thinking about accommodation. Updated for the 2013 entry, this thread is here to answer all your questions about accommodation at the University of Warwick. The application process, which halls to choose, what stuff you need to bring, what is already provided and any other stuff that comes up. If there are still any other questions, feel free to ask them in this thread!

ContentsThere are currently ~6,200 bedrooms situated on campus, arranged in 12 halls of residence. Depending on the stage of education you are at, you can apply to different halls. This FAQ will take you through the process of application, along with information about the campus and the halls of residence themselves in order to aid you with your decision.

Contents

Useful Links

Summary

When and how to apply

How allocation works

Where can I apply

Where I should apply

Map of Campus

What everyone gets

Prices, Sharing and Number of Rooms Available in Each Hall

The difference between the length of lets

Flats and corridors

Lounges

Quiet Area or Not?

Halls

Arthur Vick (built around 1990)

Benefactors (no longer available)

Bluebell (built for 2011/12)

Claycroft (built around 1995)

Cryfield (built in the 80s. I think)

Heronbank (built around 2000)

Jack Martin (built around 1991)

Lakeside (built around 1999)

Rootes (built in the late 60s/early 70s)

Sherbourne (new for 2012/13)

Tocil (built in the 80s. I think)

Westwood (???)

Whitefields (built in the 70s)

After I've applied

Arrivals Weekend

Freshers Fortnight

FAQ Changes

Links

•

Warwick accommodation - Information about the halls of residence and its facilities can be found on this site. This is also the place where you apply for accommodation.

•

Residence Summary - Basic summaries of accommodation are given here, by Warwick Accommodation.

•

Facilities summary 2012-13 and Rents summary 2012-13 given by Warwick Accommodation. 2013-14 not yet available.

•

TSR Warwick Wiki - Contains further opinions and photographs of campus residences since 2007 (including reviews of the accommodation before the thread revamp in 2010).

Summary

apply When and how to

apply Where can I

apply Where should I

Continued in the next post...
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
2013...continued from the previous post

(continued) Where should I apply

(edited 11 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
[expand="apply" (continued)="(continued)" Where="Where" should="should" I="I"]

Halls

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
2013...continued from the previous post [expand="apply" (continued)="(continued)" Where="Where" should="should" I="I"]

Halls

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4

follows: Many thanks to aza484 who started this thread back in January 2007. The original post is as

Stuff Unsorted

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5

Applied After I've

Like this guide? Give it a thumbs up below or Like it on Facebook (at the bottom of the page) and spread it to all your other Warwick friends that you somehow met during your application process :yy:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Westwood ( - Aza484 & El Matematico)

The furthest hall from the union (but only marginally further than Lakeside - just in the opposite direction), Westwood Campus is right opposite University House, which is a benefit if you intend to be making use of the Learning Grid for all your 24/7 working needs...

Pro's:
-> Largest rooms on campus, easily twice the size of Rootes' rooms.

-> The distance from central campus actually gives the Hall a more of a community feeling, which is nice. People tend to know each other much more than say, Rootes, where I know people who don't even know the names of some people on their corridor.

-> We do have our own bar, but it is only open for special ents/parties. It can be booked for functions.

-> Large meeting hall / common building in the centre with TV, cafe, pool table etc.

-> Literally 5 mins from Tesco - which believe me is a huge relief when carrying lots of bags.

-> Parking space (if you get a permit).

-> Green open spaces! Great for playing games on (for me its ultimate frisbee, but whatever's your thing), or chilling out on in nice weather.

-> Also have our own mini Costcutters within the Halls.

-> Usual post room (which is actually huge), laundry, etc.

-> There is a sort of 'arts' building, with a theatre and loads of music practice rooms in, right on campus.

-> The rooms are also cheap. Rooms are well furnished with lots of room to work and to store books.

-> Close to Varsity.

-> Close to the astroturf and sports centre - also good for those who have exams on Westwood games hall, but that wont really worry A level students just yet.

-> Generally quiet, especially compared to rootes.

-> Theres a bus stop right near the entrance to Westwood, which is good if youre going to Coventry on the evening. If youre going to the train station and carrying heavy bags, you dont have far to walk with them.

Cons:

Lots of people share the same Kitchen, so there is not too much room for storing food. Cooking I never found a problem since everyone seems to cook at different times. Same applies for showering. Not having an en-suite really isnt a problem.

[INCOMPLETE]
Reply 8
Great idea for a thread :smile: , should be very useful for everyone. Got to ask though... whats the learning grid? sounds like a computer room basically?
Ok so I will start writing one for New Rootes, I live in P block but they are all pretty similar (just kitchen sizes vary)

Pros

Large room with lovely modern light furniture. Desk is massive, wardrobe has plenty of space (I even have empty drawers). Enough space on the floor for atleast one person to sleep on it. You could fit two if you really wanted to. Bigger than rooms in JM because there is no en-suite taking up space.

A VERY short walk to the union, costcutters and arts centre. Probably about a minute or two. Laundry and post room are even closer!

Bathroom sharing is not a problem. We have 2 showers and 2 toilets between 12 people and there have been no problems.

Big green open space behind building (the tennis courts are there too!) for whatever you want.

Close to lots of other accomodation. Whitefields is seconds away and Jack Martin is a couple of minutes away. Handy for going to see people.

Large sociable corridor, always a good chance that people will be around.

Despite what you hear it is not as noisy as the reputation makes out. Seriously, I have had issues with noise on very few occasions.

Your room gets cleaned.

Cons
13 people to one kitchen when everyone is trying to cook can be a nightmare, especially with only one oven.

Fire alarms. We had two in the first week of term two. Both at unsociable hours of the morning.

Can be noisy. Although that really depends on who you live with as I only ever get disturbed by the noise in my little bit really, rather than upstairs or another block. The sound of birds can get very annoying especially if you room is at the back with a view over the field because the birds like to hang out there.
Reply 10
ROOTES H BLOCK (Old)

PROS:

-- Close to Union, Costcutters & Humanities/Library
-- Rooms are nice light yellow with light wood furnature
-- Never have a problem with sharing facilities (there's only 10 or 11 on my floor cuz I'm up the top tho... there's more downstairs)
-- Biiiig green field/woods behind - if you're on the back you look out on it (plus ur room gets really sunny)
-- If you're at the front you look out over the red square place and can spy on every going to lectures :P
-- Our cleaner is ace!
-- Contrary to popular belief - QUIET if you ask for it!

CONS:
-- Hmmm.... can't think of any! Loud I suppose in some parts of Rootes
-- Rooms aren't what you'd call absolutely massive!
-- No en-suite (but like seriously not a problem. My room's like 3 steps from the toilet and shower)!
Far from Varsity :P
-- FIRE ALARMS. But then there haven;t been any since we got back touch wood!
Reply 11
Would be nice if someone could provide some info on Arthur Vick? :smile:
Reply 12
Cessie

OH MY GOD. We had THREE last night.:confused: :p:
Jack Martin

Pros

*Ensuite. Although all the people in non ensuite halls are finding it fine, it is very nice having your own bathroom! (with bath as well as shower over). Also good if you've had a bit too much to drink :wink:

*Rooms have a nice feel to them - light yellow walls with light brown furniture (large desk!). Not as big as rooms in Westwood but definitely big enough.

*Lots of storage space

*In general it's considered as being more sociable than Arthur Vick (although I'm sure lots of AV people would disagree! :P)

*Great location - close to the union, but not noisy

*Generally a bit quieter than Rootes... no 2am fire alarms so far! That's not to say that JM isn't sociable.. it all depends what you put about yourself on the accommodation form. I'm in a quiet corridor, but the downstairs kitchens are just as wild as in Rootes!

*The kitchens are a good size

*There are 12 people in each corridor. This makes sharing a kitchen easier than in other halls (Westwood, and in some cases Rootes and Cryfield) where they have more people sharing

*It looks nice :P

*JM4 has ducks outside! I have a view of the river from my room :smile:

Cons

*Expensive. I think it's going up to £104 per week next year!! (It was £94 pw this year). All halls are going up in cost though. Also seeing as it's a 30 week let, it actually works out about the same as Tocil (no ensuite) which has a 39 week let. Obviously it is a pain moving everything out at Christmas and Easter, but I'd much rather do that than pay an extra £900 or so!

*No common room. Arthur Vick, Cryfield (maybe others?) have common rooms with comfy chairs whereas we have to hang out in the kitchen. It's not exactly a big problem though :P

*No laundry. AV has its own laundry (but I don't think there are many washing machines in it sometimes you have to wait) The main campus laundry is only a couple of minutes walk away though :smile:

*Sometimes people assume that because you're in ensuite accommodation you're really stuck up (which is definitely not the case!) Once at the beginning of term when we were in the union some people asked us where we were living, and when we said JM they kinda made a face and walked off!

Don't let the negative points put you off though. I'm loving Jack Martin so much, it's a really great place to live. If you're choosing between AV and JM (as I was this time last year) I'd definitely say JM. Although you get slightly bigger rooms and a common room for the extra £3 per week in AV, I'd say JM is definitely better as in general it's more sociable and has a better location. :smile:
I'd say JM is kind of 'in between' Rootes and AV. If you are sociable and like going out but also want to have a quieter environment to come back to at night, come to JM!
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!
Arthur Vick's alright, get your own shower and ****. The people can be ****ty though sometimes and the cleaners are cun+s. Feel free to edit that into a pros and cons type presentation.
Reply 15
Jack Martin (- Apisith)

THE hall to live-in if you're a moderate. I'm currently living in JM4 btw.

Pros -
- Ensuite rooms (it's worth it)
- Amazingly large kitchen, which basically serves as a 'hanging out' place and forces everyone to come chill there (unless you want to miss out on stuff)
- Extremely relaxed rules re: music, loud noises, tv etc.. I play the guitar and haven't had one complaint. The Sub-Warden barely checks up on the people in my corridor. My hallmate blasts his music so loud that people living at the other end of the corridor can hear it. Obviously when it's too loud we ask him to lower it, but the option to blast it loud does exist, which is cool.
- 5 mins walk from costcutters and most lecture halls (ie. the ones in the Social Studies and Humanities building)
- 5 mins walk from Sports Center
- People living here are mostly of the 'moderate' kind ie. love to party but know when to work/stay in and have a chilled out night.

Cons -
- Rent's a bit steep at 94/week but it IS worth it.
- Quite a walk from Tescos (but so is every other hall except Westwood).
- A bit laxed on the security side (compared to AV), but that's just my general feeling, nothing significant has been stolen (except a laptop in week 3).

That's about it really JM's the best I tell ya.
Reply 16
Rootes

New Rootes ( - happydinosaur)

I live in P block but they are all pretty similar (just kitchen sizes vary)

Pros

Large room with lovely modern light furniture. Desk is massive, wardrobe has plenty of space (I even have empty drawers). Enough space on the floor for atleast one person to sleep on it. You could fit two if you really wanted to. Bigger than rooms in JM because there is no en-suite taking up space.

A VERY short walk to the union, costcutters and arts centre. Probably about a minute or two. Laundry and post room are even closer!

Bathroom sharing is not a problem. We have 2 showers and 2 toilets between 12 people and there have been no problems.

Big green open space behind building (the tennis courts are there too!) for whatever you want.

Close to lots of other accomodation. Whitefields is seconds away and Jack Martin is a couple of minutes away. Handy for going to see people.

Large sociable corridor, always a good chance that people will be around.

Despite what you hear it is not as noisy as the reputation makes out. Seriously, I have had issues with noise on very few occasions.

Your room gets cleaned.

Cons
13 people to one kitchen when everyone is trying to cook can be a nightmare, especially with only one oven.

Fire alarms. We had two in the first week of term two. Both at unsociable hours of the morning.

Can be noisy. Although that really depends on who you live with as I only ever get disturbed by the noise in my little bit really, rather than upstairs or another block. The sound of birds can get very annoying especially if you room is at the back with a view over the field because the birds like to hang out there.

Old ( - Cessie)
H BLOCK

PROS:

-- Close to Union, Costcutters & Humanities/Library
-- Rooms are nice light yellow with light wood furnature
-- Never have a problem with sharing facilities (there's only 10 or 11 on my floor cuz I'm up the top tho... there's more downstairs)
-- Biiiig green field/woods behind - if you're on the back you look out on it (plus ur room gets really sunny)
-- If you're at the front you look out over the red square place and can spy on every going to lectures :P
-- Our cleaner is ace!
-- Contrary to popular belief - QUIET if you ask for it!

CONS:
-- Hmmm.... can't think of any! Loud I suppose in some parts of Rootes
-- Rooms aren't what you'd call absolutely massive!
-- No en-suite (but like seriously not a problem. My room's like 3 steps from the toilet and shower)!
Far from Varsity :P

Photos (courtesy of happydinosaur)

photo_20070425_026small.JPG
photo_20070425_027small.JPG
photo_20070425_028.JPG
what's the most sociable hall? if that makes sense!
Reply 18
thats an unfair question, as it depends entirely on the people you are living with, not the location. Most people will say Rootes though, as it is the largest, most cramped hall, right outside the union. Its the "party hall"... although ive got friends all over the place and you can party everywhere to be honest. Even here in westwood we party hard - we have to make up for the lack of motivation to walk to the union somehow!! (we get much cheaper booze from tesco 5 mins away).
I live in Whitefields.
Pros
- Very close to costcutter, union, rootes social, arts centre
- Pritty Sociable on the whole
- 'family' type sprit between housemates you are unlikely to find in other halls
- Its cheap at 60 a week
- Rooms are a decent size
- the pressure on the shower is immense, atleast downstairs
- 39 week let so your not thrown out straight away after the end of term party

Cons
-12 people to 1 fridge gets packed
- decor could be better
- If you dont get on with your housemates it would be hell unlike any other hall
- Noise from the cooler until 2 am
- Constant humm of the extractor fan from battered

Quick Reply

Latest