The Student Room Group

Edexcel S2 Guide needed urgantly

Hello i am sitting the S2 exam this year and have yet to do any work on it appart from chapter 1 and 2. I know im stupid for leaving it this late but i was kicked out of lessons and left it way too late. what advice would you have for someone self teaching themselfs S2 in 1-2 weeks? like what chapters should i focus on to maximise my chance of not failing horribly? i managed to get 87 in S1 with very little revision and i know this doesnt mean **** for S2 and i will still probably fail but i really need the help!

any advice would be massively appriciated as i know i dont deserve it for being so dumb and leaving it so late :frown:
Don't be scared to contact a teacher for help if you need to. There are definitions and conditions that you need to learn for S2. The last chapter is a very wordy chapter I would take a look at that. My advice is to learn all of the distributions you need to know (Uniform [rectangular], Normal, Binomial and Poisson) and which you should approximate to if need be and also learn the chapter on Hypothesis testing that seems to come up a lot in the exams.

There is some stuff in S2 that is from S1 but not a lot so I wouldn't rely on your S1 knowledge. I would start doing exam papers as fast as possible.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by alexneuty
Dont be scared to contact a teacher for help if you need to.

i am going to the S2 lessons for the next 2 weeks
Original post by randymarsh
Hello i am sitting the S2 exam this year and have yet to do any work on it appart from chapter 1 and 2. I know im stupid for leaving it this late but i was kicked out of lessons and left it way too late. what advice would you have for someone self teaching themselfs S2 in 1-2 weeks? like what chapters should i focus on to maximise my chance of not failing horribly? i managed to get 87 in S1 with very little revision and i know this doesnt mean **** for S2 and i will still probably fail but i really need the help!

any advice would be massively appriciated as i know i dont deserve it for being so dumb and leaving it so late :frown:

If it's your only exam left, you'll be fine as long as you put the work in. Even with 1-2 others you should be able to manage it.

I think you have enough time to go over the content once - try to do that as efficiently as possible. Write down the key ideas from each chapter, practice a few questions from the mixed exercises and move on.

Hypothesis testing is important, I think it usually carries a fair few marks and can be tricky to understand at times.

If you commit enough time to it you could be done with the content in over a week, with the rest of the time left for past papers and maybe Solomon ones. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
If it's your only exam left, you'll be fine as long as you put the work in. Even with 1-2 others you should be able to manage it.

I think you have enough time to go over the content once - try to do that as efficiently as possible. Write down the key ideas from each chapter, practice a few questions from the mixed exercises and move on.

Hypothesis testing is important, I think it usually carries a fair few marks and can be tricky to understand at times.

If you commit enough time to it you could be done with the content in over a week, with the rest of the time left for past papers and maybe Solomon ones. Good luck!

i have 6 more :/
Original post by randymarsh
i have 6 more :/

Ah. :frown:

Well, the average time for each chapter is probably about 1 hour at most, and there's something like 7 chapters in S2, so all is not lost.

Just try your best to get through the content and do some past papers, even if it means cutting into your breaks during the day. (But all nighters probably don't work.)

Quick Reply

Latest