The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I just realised one day the real world is cruel and no one will give a **** about my problems.
Reply 61
Ugghhh it drives me crazy! People are always telling me I'm fine and that I should stop pretending. It's ridiculous. These people assume so much based on petty things like school grades. They never look at the bigger picture no matter how well I paint it for them. I've learnt to just ignore these idiots.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LenaSim
I just realised one day the real world is cruel and no one will give a **** about my problems.

That's exactly how I feel.
I often find that the threat of a lawsuit does the trick! :yep:
Original post by pinkteddyx64
I often find that the threat of a lawsuit does the trick! :yep:

the good old threaten them with the equality act?
Original post by claireestelle

Makes no difference in my experience. :frown:

I actually got the "we're under no obligation to support you". Oh, really?
Original post by OU Student

did you tell them you d take them to acas to sort it out? (never had to do it myself but i think thats the next step on).

either that or they just had no common sense and werent aware of how laws work.

this website is really good for explaining what to do if they refuse to support you
http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/your-rights/employment/dealing-discrimination/your-choices
did you tell them you d take them to acas to sort it out? (never had to do it myself but i think thats the next step on).

either that or they just had no common sense and werent aware of how laws work.

I really couldn't be bothered to fight. I was starting to become seriously ill and didn't want to make myself worse. I spoke to my then GP. He said that if he has to, he would support me. I do have the diagnosis they claim I can't possibly have.

My dad did ask how someone with no idea about disability (I've have a run in before with her over this and her ignorance) has managed to get a job supporting disabled people.

Meanwhile, I attend a local group where they're brilliant. I've got no depth perception which makes steps impossible, which I explained and they found a suitable venue with just a step. I'm going away with a member of the group next week and he's just so "ok, I understand you need that. Just tell me what you need and I'll do it".

:yep:
I really couldn't be bothered to fight. I was starting to become seriously ill and didn't want to make myself worse. I spoke to my then GP. He said that if he has to, he would support me. I do have the diagnosis they claim I can't possibly have.

My dad did ask how someone with no idea about disability (I've have a run in before with her over this and her ignorance) has managed to get a job supporting disabled people.

Meanwhile, I attend a local group where they're brilliant. I've got no depth perception which makes steps impossible, which I explained and they found a suitable venue with just a step. I'm going away with a member of the group next week and he's just so "ok, I understand you need that. Just tell me what you need and I'll do it".

Its great you ve got your gp on your side:smile: yeah i can never understand how somebody in disability support can get a job when they have no clue and are ignorant, they must not be interviewing the right people at all.
I stopped using my dyslexia tutor as ironically she didnt quite understand when i couldnt answer when she asked where i thought a comma should be, if i dont read fluently with natural pauses why would anyone think i had a clue where to punctuate it. So after she told me off for being late when i d just been to the toilet, this was after waiting 5 minutes after our agreed meeting time before i went, i decided i never wanted to see her again.a quick google search could have told her i might struggle with my time management skills -_-

That sounds like a brilliant group who actually understand what it means to make small changes and that i can help make something so much easier. I havent ever joined a support group that was in person, not many people seem to concentrate on adults as they do as children, found a couple of groups on facebook though but still not all adult based.
This is the thing - I don't understand why people work in these sort of professions when they are so ignorant. Same with teaching.
Original post by kittykatxoxo
This is the thing - I don't understand why people work in these sort of professions when they are so ignorant. Same with teaching.

Yeah, I don't get this either. The group I attend is a music group. I don't expect anyone to understand my issues. What I was hoping (and they do this) is that they'd listen to what I say I need.

I remember once being told that my disabilities can't be that bad because I've just been diagnosed. I was misdiagnosed (which is pretty common given my situation) with one of them first and with the other, it's possible to go to bed with no problems at all and then wake up with issues. That was from someone who works with disabled people.
I know somebody who says that they threaten to smash bottles over people's heads of those who are ignorant towards him in this respect! :eek:
Original post by pinkteddyx64
I know somebody who says that they threaten to smash bottles over people's heads of those who are ignorant towards him in this respect! :eek:

I bet that scares them more than stopping the ignorance (I'd be scared if someone threatened to smash a bottle over my head!)
I have found most people have been pretty understanding towards my condition, and if they're not they sure do understand after ive been sick near them or they'd had to take me home because im poorly!

Even employers (when i've declared it of course with evidence) have been pretty understanding, its only my University who seem to have no empathy.

Ive been asked if I've had problems in the head....for taking codiene.
Failed 'accidentally' when claiming extensions for it.
Marked down for it in attendance.
Original post by mcgreevy1993
I have found most people have been pretty understanding towards my condition, and if they're not they sure do understand after ive been sick near them or they'd had to take me home because im poorly!

Even employers (when i've declared it of course with evidence) have been pretty understanding, its only my University who seem to have no empathy.

Ive been asked if I've had problems in the head....for taking codiene.
Failed 'accidentally' when claiming extensions for it.
Marked down for it in attendance.

should remind them of the equality act and threaten them with it
should remind them of the equality act and threaten them with it

My plan during appeals month :wink:
Original post by mcgreevy1993
My plan during appeals month :wink:

good, kick that unis butt :wink:
Reply 79
Mild autism and dyslexia aren't over diagnosed! Do you know the worry and the stress parents go through to get a diagnosis for their child. The parents don't do it for an explanation but to get early intervention help to have the best possible outcome for their child. This can only do good for the child in the long term so they are more able to cope. My son was diagnosed with autism at age 2 and now at age 6 is doing well as he had early intervention help. Every child with autism is different and responds differently but in the end you just want the best for them. Not to change them but to help them. My daughter is also at age 4 about to be assessed for autism. From looking at my daughter you wouldn't be able to tell she may have autism but believe me she does need support at school. Also autism is not a Conditon! It is a disorder, one that cannot be cured! People with autism just need understanding and support not uneducated and ignorate people like you!

Latest