Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

HELP - equilibrium constant calculations for esterification

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just come back to my chemistry coursework after revision and holidays. Does anyone know if you have to take into consideration the water used to dilute the reactants in an equilibrium reaction when you are calculating the equilibrium constant? If so, how?!
    I'm reacting short chained alcohols and carboxylic acids to produce esters and water.

Please, someone, help??
    Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You probably don't need to take into account of water because its dissociation constant is very very small.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    no, for esterification you DO need to consider the concentration of the water in the mixture.
    It does take part in the equilibrium.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i thought as much, any help on how to do it though?

Thanks
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    how to do what? the whole experiment?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    nope, done the experiment and calculated how much acid was left at the end of the experiment and therefore how much ester was producted. However I need to calculate Kc and i dont know how to take the extra water into account when i'm doing that.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    you already have the mass of the water you started with from the mass of the HCl solution (or whatever other acid) you added. (subtract the mass of HCl contained)
    The extra moles of water will be equal to the moles of acid used up in the esterification.

I am assuming that you titrated the mixture both before and after the equilibrium was established to find the total moles of acid present (= moles of acid catalyst + moles of ethanoic acid)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks . Have attempted to sort it out but going to my chem teacher tomorrow and getting it checked.

Cheers,

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 21, 2007
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.