The Student Room Group

FIFA Women's World Cup 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TornadoGR4
You're just going to have to live with it mate. I remember getting a similar reaction when I said I prefer to watch lower league English football instead of top level European football.

Really? I much prefer the lower tiers, in England at least. The Championship knocks the Prem out of the park year in year out, and of course my team are in league 1 so that's the most exciting for me.. But equally my most hated league when we're losing lol. Should be running away with the title :laugh:
Original post by blackened_sky
Personally, best World Cup I've ever seen, men or women.

lol FA tweet

"Our Lionesses can go back to be being mothers, partners & daughters."

FA...keeping it old skool

...guess the investment/legacy the USA team got after their performance in the late 90's ain't going to be repeated by us.
Original post by joey11223
lol FA tweet

"Our Lionesses can go back to be being mothers, partners & daughters."

FA...keeping it old skool

...guess the investment/legacy the USA team got after their performance in the late 90's ain't going to be repeated by us.

That's not what they said.

Original post by Wilfred Little
That's not what they said.

I guess I'll just wait until we win the Euros next year and we get "The men can go back to being husbands. fathers and sons, but today they are heroes!"

...doubt we'll get the former section of the quote for them, but I'll be fair and wait with bated breath.
I guess I'll just wait until we win the Euros next year and we get "The men can go back to being husbands. fathers and sons, but today they are heroes!"

...doubt we'll get the former section of the quote for them, but I'll be fair and wait with bated breath.

No, there was no mention of the word "can" in there. You've just thrown that in yourself.

"The Lionesses can go back to being mothers, partners & daughters" sounds derogatory and insulting a bit, no? "You've played football but you can **** off now" basically.

You fell for the Twitter nation mock outrage. What you posted was not what was said. The actual tweet calls them heroes. It is worded that way presumably because for many they are on a pittance and their 15 minutes of fame is over and many will return to normal lives.
No, there was no mention of the word "can" in there. You've just thrown that in yourself.

"The Lionesses can go back to being mothers, partners & daughters" sounds derogatory and insulting a bit, no? "You've played football but you can **** off now" basically.

You fell for the Twitter nation mock outrage. What you posted was not what was said. The actual tweet calls them heroes. It is worded that way presumably because for many they are on a pittance and their 15 minutes of fame is over and many will return to normal lives.

Fair enough, some of the papers have got the misquote so didn't realize. Still though why not release something like...

"Our women have returned as heroes, this will act as building block for the women's game for the future" or "This will inspire girls who love the game not to be put off by thinking it's only a sport for men" type thing?
Fair enough, some of the papers have got the misquote so didn't realize. Still though why not release something like...

"Our women have returned as heroes, this will act as building block for the women's game for the future" or "This will inspire girls who love the game not to be put off by thinking it's only a sport for men" type thing?

I think people are looking to take offense when there is no offense to be taken tbh. I wouldn't bat an eyelid if say, male athletes who were not household names and likely to go back into obscurity were spoken about in that way. You can't compare to Rooney, Sterling, Wilshere etc as they are massive celebrities as well, and these aren't.

I think that was all that tweet was trying to say really. I don't think it was a sexist dig at them, it was the opposite, but then it's Twitter and people will cry over anything.
I thought England did well.

**** your silly arguments.
Reply 469
Original post by Tony_LeaS
I thought England did well.

**** your silly arguments.

I don't think anyone's disputed that they did well
Original post by difeo
I don't think anyone's disputed that they did well

Not saying that either, just regardless of anything else I think we should be happy that this is the best for men or women that we have competed in 25 years. The quality of football might not of been to standards yeah, but being one of the best 3 nations in Women's Football where we barely even have the funding compared to others is an achievement.
Original post by Tony_LeaS
Not saying that either, just regardless of anything else I think we should be happy that this is the best for men or women that we have competed in 25 years. The quality of football might not of been to standards yeah, but being one of the best 3 nations in Women's Football where we barely even have the funding compared to others is an achievement.

No, it's the best achievement for the women's team. Stop lumping it in with the men. It's not the same. Judged on it's own merits they did do well. They did fantastically well actually. But people can't seem to be able to judge it on it's own merits, they have to constantly lump it in with the men like you just did. People are posting because the likes of the BBC are trying to compare it to the men's teams. Why not include the youth teams? Our Villa team won the NextGen competition the other year, we aren't saying it's the best achievement in Europe by a Villa team since we won the European Cup in 1982. England have won the equivalent of the Euros at u19 level 9 times. Have they surpassed the first team?

Why do people need to make daft statements like "it's the best England performance since 1990", this doesn't happen in any other sport. There is a clear agenda present here. The agenda is very much "anything men can do, we can do!". And that's just not true in sports. How else do you explain this? It's not being hailed as a sporting victory at all. It's being hailed as a victory for equality. Which is ****ing nonsense. If women's football was at the standard of men's football, it would be held in the same regard. Nobody says 'women's tennis is ****e' because women in tennis play at a very similar standard to men in terms of the entertainment level. Same goes for athletics; Jess Ennis is thrilling to watch. Best match I saw at Wimbledon so far was Heather Watson vs Serena Williams. People take the piss out of women's football because it is just so ****ing dire.

On a physical playing field, men are going to be better - on average - than women. Look at Olympic records - all the women's records are around 10% less than men's. Almost across the board.

Get the women to play a friendly vs the men. That will put an end to this ****.
Would be interesting to see where that team would fare if it was dumped in the Football League. My guess would be somewhere in League 2.
Starting to think Wilfred Little might be a little mad.
Starting to think Wilfred Little might be a little mad.

You can't post anything other than "u mad lol"?

Counter any one of my points. Why aren't we giving our u19s the same recognition?

#TheLionCubs
Wilfred makes sense with his argument.
You can't post anything other than "u mad lol"?

Counter any one of my points. Why aren't we giving our u19s the same recognition?

#TheLionCubs

I don't need to say anything whilst you just continue to rage over something that makes no difference to your life. That's the fun of it. :laugh:
I don't need to say anything whilst you just continue to rage over something that makes no difference to your life. That's the fun of it. :laugh:

No argument then. Not surprised.

I think you're confusing posting with being "mad bro pmsl".

I'm drinking some green tea, watching a quiz show and listening to Bruce Springsteen. I'm surprisingly tranquil.
:nopity:
i think it's very much a shame that sexist attitudes among men still exist in football, England taking third place at the women's World Cup won't do anything to increase the number of girls taking up football unless the attitudes among men change

Quick Reply

Latest