The Student Room Group

Article: Is it possible to predict what universities will do on results day?

You can view the superb advice by @PQ @SlowlorisIncognito here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=26247-Is-is-possible-to-predict-what-universities-will-do-on-results-day

This advice covers questions like:

Will unis be lenient with grades or accept people with lower grades through Clearing?

How regularly will Clearing lists be updated

How can I tell if a particular course will be in Clearing?

When will Clearing vacancies be available?

Why is university X in Clearing? Aren't they really good?

Who is most likely to get accepted with lower grades - firm students, insurance students or clearing students?

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Just wanted to plug the flowchart in PQ's sig about what to do on results day. It's excellent and will save a lot of people a lot of heartache and time spent creating threads when the answers are all there. Look at it, folks!!
This is amazing .... finally .... something that actually explains it well.... THANK YOOOOUUU
Reply 3
What about adjustment?
Original post by Flather
What about adjustment?

What about it? The same applies in the most part (from a university point of view there is no difference) as above except there are no listings for adjustment - you have to use clearing listings and a lot of phoning instead.
What happens if your university required you to get AAA but they go into clearing for ABB, but you get ABC in the end? Will they be more likely to accept that grade because they lifted the cap of the student number control?
Reply 6
I was told that student number controls had been lifted in last years intake, is this false then as this post implies it's this year (August 2015) in which universities will have their limits lifted.

Is this true?

I appreciate any help, thanks.
Yeah, I remember when my sister got ABB instead of AAA. My mum had to do a lot of phoning to get her on the course and apparently its quite rare to get adjustments.
Original post by hendyrix
Yeah, I remember when my sister got ABB instead of AAA. My mum had to do a lot of phoning to get her on the course and apparently its quite rare to get adjustments.

It isn't rare. And it usually doesn't require phone calls. Universities know results prior to results day. If they have the capacity and believe you have the grades needed to succeed then you'll be accepted on results morning on Track.
Other TSR advice about eventualities of Results Day here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15437-Guide-to-A-level-results-day
Original post by snowflake35
What happens if your university required you to get AAA but they go into clearing for ABB, but you get ABC in the end? Will they be more likely to accept that grade because they lifted the cap of the student number control?

It depends on the university and the subjects your A and C are in. If they think you can succeed wuth those grades and have space in clearing you will be accepted. If not then there's no point wasting energy getting them to change their mind. ABC are great grades and it should be possible to find a place somewhere in clearing that you'll be happy with.
Original post by Jae578
I was told that student number controls had been lifted in last years intake, is this false then as this post implies it's this year (August 2015) in which universities will have their limits lifted.

Is this true?

Student number controls lifted from AAB to ABB in the past.

This year they are lifted altogether.
Original post by snowflake35

They're more likely to accept you than last year, but there's still a chance you will be rejected. If they've already lowered their grades in clearing, then the might not be willing to go any lower than ABB. If you're basing this on what they did last year, it's likely that the uni might behave differently this year anyway.

Original post by Jae578

Is this true?

Last year, student number controls still applied to students with less than ABB. The previous year it was students with less than AAB.

Original post by hendyrix

In general, it's always better to phone yourself if you can, rather than getting a parent to do it. Obviously, I don't know your sister's situation, but I'm just posting this for the reference of anyone else reading the thread :smile:

PRSOM.

Thanks for adding your wisdom to this thread.
Original post by PQ
It isn't rare. And it usually doesn't require phone calls. Universities know results prior to results day. If they have the capacity and believe you have the grades needed to succeed then you'll be accepted on results morning on Track.

will this be true even if you dont hold a place, the uni i want ive applied to three times already , so will they maybe look at my case before I call through clearing ( obv if grades are good enough)
Do u think that they will go down for a B to C and C to D???
Original post by drbumblebee
will this be true even if you dont hold a place, the uni i want ive applied to three times already , so will they maybe look at my case before I call through clearing ( obv if grades are good enough)

If a University has already rejected you this year they won't be interested in hearing from you again in Clearing for the same course. Don't waste your time.
Original post by Recapone
Do u think that they will go down for a B to C and C to D???

Unis will only do this if they have to do so to fill places- if they can fill the course without dropping the entry requirements, they will. At this stage, without knowing the general trend of A-level results this year, it's impossible to predict, it's certainly impossible to predict what will happen for each individual course.

It's possible you might get on a course asking for BBC with grades of BCD, but the more grades you drop, the more unlikely it becomes.
Reply 17
My course requires 300 UCAS points, no specific grades if I were to get say...290 or 280 (my insurance is 280 UCAS points) do you think my firm which is 300 UCAS points would let me in?
Reply 18
Hiya, my course is asking BBB, i think i should get AAC, any ideas on my chances? :frown:
I've heard you can access your results the day before (through UCAS) so you can see if you've got in Uni before you get your results

Is this true?

Quick Reply

Latest