The Student Room Group

Citizen's Advice Bureau

I contacted my local CAB to see if I could help out there during the summer and am waiting to hear back from them, however, I was wondering what other people's experiences have been like? What type of work do they allow first year law students to do and is there a minimum amount of time that you must do per week? Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply 1
My experience at the local CAB where I have been working for over a year (and I am a non-Law student) has been really positive. I started off going twice a week - religiously - then once a week, and now I go pretty much when my schedule allows (usually an hour per week). They are very understanding and never pressure me to go in, especially not during exam times. They are VERY, VERY flexible, you learn so much and it looks great on the CV! All in all, well worth the experience.
Reply 2
Oh, I forgot to mention that they let you shadow other people for as long as you don't have the confidence to go alone and even when you decide to go solo, in addition to the information system, there are always many people around to help. Most of the queries are related to Benefits, housing, debt, consumer issues and employment (where, locally at least). Where are you studying by the way?
Reply 3
MLM
My experience at the local CAB where I have been working for over a year (and I am a non-Law student) has been really positive. I started off going twice a week - religiously - then once a week, and now I go pretty much when my schedule allows (usually an hour per week). They are very understanding and never pressure me to go in, especially not during exam times. They are VERY, VERY flexible, you learn so much and it looks great on the CV! All in all, well worth the experience.

Thanks for that insight *rep*, has reassured me that it would be a good thing to do and that I'm really pleased to hear that it's flexible. I'm studying at UCL.

Latest

Trending

Trending