The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Lewisy-boy
Property law as a first year subject - hahaha.
We have it as a first and second year subject. :frown:
Lewisy-boy
Property law as a first year subject - hahaha.

I did Land Law in the first year. I think it's a good thing really... it's tough to understand that early on but at least if you don't understand it very well then it doesn't go towards your degree classification!! :p:
Reply 22
I don't think its a good idea to do Land law in the first year. All first year modules should include Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and and an into to the English Legal System. Contract, Torts and Land law shouldn't ideally be studied in the first year but if they are then there shouldn't be more than one of them. I think this should be the case even though it is oft said that Contract and Torts complement each other, whilst this is true, studying them side by side is quite challenging under any syllabus along with the other modules.
I've heard of quite a few law schools putting property (by which I meant land law... some unis also refer to trusts as a division of property) in first year, because it's tough and for the reasons you stated can avoid being considered in your final classification! What a cop out!!!!

I don't think crim needs to be a first year module, it doesn't compliment anything apart from advanced crim modules. Contract, Tort and constitutional appear to be the common first year subjects... combined with a legal methods/basic theory module... going by a typically silly name.
Lewisy-boy
I've heard of quite a few law schools putting property (by which I meant land law... some unis also refer to trusts as a division of property) in first year, because it's tough and for the reasons you stated can avoid being considered in your final classification! What a cop out!!!!

I'm not sure if that's why Sheffield did it, but now they've decided it's too hard for first years and have changed it to a second year subject.
LucyMP
I'm not sure if that's why Sheffield did it, but now they've decided it's too hard for first years and have changed it to a second year subject.

too late for us eh lucy??! lol
Strange, I thought land was relatively easy - it's just about the most black letter subject there is.
chocmonster
too late for us eh lucy??! lol

Yup! Glad it's over with though :biggrin:
Reply 28
Lewisy-boy

I don't think crim needs to be a first year module, it doesn't compliment anything apart from advanced crim modules. Contract, Tort and constitutional appear to be the common first year subjects... combined with a legal methods/basic theory module... going by a typically silly name.
Do universities actually have exams in the legal methods module? At UCL we do Contract, Public I, Property I and World Legal Orders. WLO is the namby-pamby, airy-fairy module that we do but it isn't anything like a legal methods course. It seems to have the most reading and is really rather theoretical. Oh, and it sucks.
Hmm is that like natural law vs positivism etc etc?

We did "understanding law" which was basic theory for 75%, and 25% of it was legal methods. Both assessed by essay, but the latter by a case analysis and the former a theoretical essay, at a basic level anyway.
Reply 30
At LSE we do property law 1, contract/tort, criminal, constitutional/administrative law and the legal system.

I dont mind criminal and contract, but the other lot are awful.

Especially the legal system.
Reply 31
We do property as a first year module and i havent got a clue whats going on most of the time. We also do criminal, contract/tort and legal system/legal theory

God i hate legal theory. its so wishywashy. Just sociology and philosophy mixed together with a lecturer who sounds like a motivational speaker who's disillusioned with whatever he's preaching.
Both that and legal system have exams and essays, but theyre so boring!

Criminal is by far the more interesting module we do in the first year, and so im glad they at least give us something interesting to do!

Im also v glad property is this year... when i fail dismally i will bhe content in the knowledge taht it doesnt count

HOWEVER, at warwick they screw us over by making us do trusts in the third year... obviously thats about equity and we need it for qualifying, but its the trust bit of land law that i dont understand! ARGH

Latest

Trending

Trending