The Student Room Group

just passed driving test, going from diesel to petrol car?

I passed my driving test first time on Tuesday and I learnt in a diesel Nissan Note. My new car is a petrol 2001 Toyota Yaris and I'm really nervous about getting use to a new car which I'll be driving for the first time tomorrow after its been for its MOT. I've heard that driving a petrol is a lot different to a diesel and I'm really worried that I'll keep stalling it. Apparently you have to bring the gas pedal up before the clutch which I won't be use to at all as in lessons I always brought the clutch to move off then added the gas. I'm going to have pass plates on the back to help me feel a little better, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing and if its really that bad? :confused::confused:
Reply 1
Firstly, congratulations.

In answer to your question - hundreds! Just scroll down here and in the main motoring forum and you'll find dozens of threads on the subject. But basically, yes, you have to use the throttle more in a petrol-engined car.
Well done :biggrin: Yeah, you have to apply gas before bringing the clutch up to the biting point, and then as you bring the clutch up simultaneously add more gas. I personally think it's a bad idea for people to be taught in diesel cars - only teaches you bad habits as a diesel car is a lot less likely to stall than a petrol, whereas if you learn in a petrol and get the petrol controls down to a higher degree of precision as you're learning it'll set you up a lot better for when you pass your test and start driving on your own regardless of what car you go for.

I'd advise you to go for drives at quiet times whenever is best for you - for example late in the evening now that it gets dark late - and really get the feel of the car before you start going on trips. The likelihood is that you WILL stall whilst getting used to the car, so don't get disheartened, it's just that you've got some relearning to do. If you have a rev counter then use it - set the gas to about 1500rpm before you bring the clutch up to the biting point, and every time you do it make sure you really get a feel for how 1500rpm sounds and feels so you manage to eventually go by feel rather than by the counter. Then clutch up and gas down both slowly and smoothly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
entirely depends on the car, in my little 1.2 petrol corsa 03, you don't need gas to pull away, you can just do it on the clutch, not that there's really any need for it most people like to get away with a bit of gas, the same with hill starts and even with reverse hill starts :wink: it'll even plod along in pretty much any gear without using the accelerator, about 5mph in 1st and 2nd, 10 in 3rd, 15 in 4th and 20 in 5th, if you wanted to you could get up to 5th and plod around all day at 20 without ever once touching the accelerator, its all to do with how your cars brain handles things, and the mechanical side of things, even on tick over there's power there, so its only reasonable to expect the car to move if theres nothing preventing it

most fairly modern'ish cars you can pull away with without any gas, and you will be unlikely to stall if you're careful on the clutch, diesel or petrol, if you jump off it too fast, you'll stall, so the type of fuel make little difference in reality, but most cars will have a bit of gas input handled by the ecu, the same with say reversing.

id advise anyone, whether new to driving or an old hand, to take a new car somewhere quiet, and have a play with it, find out what works or doesn't for your car, it'll pay dividends to know and understand what works for you car, have a play and enjoy getting to know your car.

People fret about diesel vs petrol, after learning in a diesel, the reality is, you'll unlikely notice much of a difference, and you'll adjust pretty damn quickly, it doesn't take long to get a feel for a new car
(edited 8 years ago)
There is very little difference, and you get used to it so easily.

I am still a learner, but I am currently driving my own car and my learner's car.

My car is petrol, my learner's is diesel. I am used to constantly switching and I don't notice any change. You get used to it quickly. I'm driving both and I don't have a problem. Petrols ARE much more responsive though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending