The Student Room Group

Psychology undergraduate student!! please read.

Hi there,

I'm interested in doing psychology as a degree and eventually be a Dr in it.
However I am really unsure about what A-levels to do. I don't want to do maths or chemistry. I'm definitely doing Biology. I was unsure but I'd like to do geography as i really enjoy it but I don't know how much it would help at all in my chances of getting into the degree?

Any advice on what would be best to do or what Universities would like best for Psychology?
And psychology undergraduate student please say what A-levels you did that got you into University and what university you are currently studying?

All positive helpful comments are appreciated. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by anxiousbunny
Hi there,

I'm interested in doing psychology as a degree and eventually be a Dr in it.
However I am really unsure about what A-levels to do. I don't want to do maths or chemistry. I'm definitely doing Biology. I was unsure but I'd like to do geography as i really enjoy it but I don't know how much it would help at all in my chances of getting into the degree?

Any advice on what would be best to do or what Universities would like best for Psychology?
And psychology undergraduate student please say what A-levels you did that got you into University and what university you are currently studying?

All positive helpful comments are appreciated. :smile:

Many places don't specify which subjects you need - they tend to make offers just in terms of grades or UCAS points.

I'm a PhD student in Psychology now - at A-level I took Psychology, Biology, and Maths, which I think were all helpful at some point later on (particularly Biology, apparently, as I was one of the few who didn't have a meltdown at the mere mmention of cell membranes in first year undergrad :P )

I think that Maths is useful, but it doesn't have to be A-level maths! (Best advice here is don't take it if you know you won't enjoy it - same goes for any subject, really). If you did ok at GCSE maths, you'll be fine with the stats part of a psychology degree because they'll start the maths from a straightforward level.

I did Chemistry for a while too, but dropped it because I didn't love it - doesn't seem to have had a negative effect!

If you want to do Geography, enjoy it, and will do well in it, then there is no reason not to! If you're really worried, I'm sure you could put a spin on the population and culture (if that's still in geography these days) being relevant! :smile:
Thank you for replying, what university did you get into and what marks did you get?

Quick Reply

Latest