The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Modern Languages and Business?

Hi, I am looking into studying at Aston Uni next year - I have just completed my first year at sixth form.
I would love to to do a degree in modern foreign languages (French and Spanish), however my careers adviser has told me that if I mix the Modern Languages with Business or Management I would have a much greater chance at finding a job after my degree.
I am considering this as it would hopefully give me more options after the degree which aren't just teaching, translating or interpreting.
Has anybody studied or is anyone studying these subjects and have any information about the course(s) that they could share with me? Also, I have not taken Business nor Management before at A level, would this be a problem?
It would be a great help - I am going to the open day in September however I'm trying to find out as much as possibly early on!
Thank you :-)
Original post by Eleanoraaa
Hi, I am looking into studying at Aston Uni next year - I have just completed my first year at sixth form.
I would love to to do a degree in modern foreign languages (French and Spanish), however my careers adviser has told me that if I mix the Modern Languages with Business or Management I would have a much greater chance at finding a job after my degree.
I am considering this as it would hopefully give me more options after the degree which aren't just teaching, translating or interpreting.
Has anybody studied or is anyone studying these subjects and have any information about the course(s) that they could share with me? Also, I have not taken Business nor Management before at A level, would this be a problem?
It would be a great help - I am going to the open day in September however I'm trying to find out as much as possibly early on!

Hi there,

Fantastic to hear you're thinking of studying with us, hope you have an enjoyable open day, you can find the information for all of our languages courses here.

The flexibility is there for you to specialize your languages course to go into the job you're interested in. Whilst a degree with an element of Business gives you a slightly wider range of skills than just a pure languages course; Aston has been in the top ten for graduate employability for the last ten years so you have pretty good odds of getting a good job at the end regardless of which course you choose.

You can always use UniStats to compare two of our courses for things such as graduate wages and student satisfaction rates.

If you have any more questions about the university, student life or Birmingham in general i'm happy to help. I'm a 2014 graduate now working for the university.

Josh :smile:
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Eleanoraaa

Hi. I'm hoping to study Spanish & Politics at Southampton with Reading as my back up. The course at Reading is Spanish with Management. I applied for this course for exactly the same reason, I thought a language degree on its own would be too limiting. I've not done business at A Level either. Quite daunting but the units seem to think it perfectly ok. Southampton rejected me for Management there as I only had Maths at AS but offered me Politics instead. Good luck with your choice.
Reply 3
Hi, I am a current International Business and Spanish student at Aston, just finished my first year.
I picked this particular degree for the same reason as you, for an access to more possible jobs after graduation. I enjoy the course, although it is a bit intense - I had seven exams in January and six this summer, as well as Spanish presentations, coursework, class tests, etc (in comparison to some of my friends from other unis that had half or less that amount of work). Aston uni in particular is really good for giving you an overall introduction to business, we study a range of different modules so a get a taste of all things business, but we cannot pick our modules (my only dislike for the course), also the compulsory placement year is meant to be really beneficial to your employability. Not studying business at A level would not be a huge problem as you can learn everything you need to know from the textbooks/lectures, but I myself did study econ&bus at A level and would say that it does give an advantage.
Hope this helped a little, and good luck for your results! :~)

Quick Reply

Latest