The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in She-Ra now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by sassy_hoodlum
I'm a Year 12 student and my college requires that all students complete a minimum of 2 days of work experience. I want to study psychology at Durham, and I've been trying for the last 3 months to get a work experience place. I've contacted the NHS, actual psychologists and the HM Prison service and none will take me! Anybody have any ideas about what to do?! (I want to study forensic psychology in particular)

Just finished year 11 and I want to get into Psychology later on too! Have you tried seeking work in care setting?(as in with the elderly?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sassy_hoodlum
I'm a Year 12 student and my college requires that all students complete a minimum of 2 days of work experience. I want to study psychology at Durham, and I've been trying for the last 3 months to get a work experience place. I've contacted the NHS, actual psychologists and the HM Prison service and none will take me! Anybody have any ideas about what to do?! (I want to study forensic psychology in particular)

Moved this into the correct forum :smile: Good luck :h:
It's difficult to get psychology specific work experience due to the confidentiality of the work done, and some other places require you to be 18 as well. If you want psychology work experience because of uni, don't worry about it. Extra reading will be the main thing to talk about in your PS :smile:
Getting work as a healthcare assistant is valuable clinical experience. There are sometimes staff banks that are looking for people to work in mental health services and its worth signing up for these if there is one nearby.
Reply 6
Go to: do-it.org

Choose your interests there is loads of relevant stuff, just chose things like ex-offendees for forensic psych.
Hi,
I am also in year 12 and am looking at studying psychology.
I did work experience in a hospital and shadowed a doctor and I also volunteered in a charity shop for a while, both can be linked to psychology and I really enjoyed them!
Hope you find some experience soon :smile:
Original post by em_nicole
Hi,
I am also in year 12 and am looking at studying psychology.
I did work experience in a hospital and shadowed a doctor and I also volunteered in a charity shop for a while, both can be linked to psychology and I really enjoyed them!
Hope you find some experience soon :smile:

Shadowing a doctor nakes it sound like you wanted to apply for medicine. And it's likely that work experience in a shop would be a tenuous link to psychology
I shadowed a doctor because it allowed me to speak to a wide range of patients across the whole hospital, gaining experience and communication skills. And the charity shop was just because my college told us that we had to volunteer doing something and I'm not the kind of person to do DofE :wink:
Any kind of experience in communicating with a wide range of individuals is beneficial according to the unis I've spoken to
I shadowed a doctor because it allowed me to speak to a wide range of patients across the whole hospital, gaining experience and communication skills. And the charity shop was just because my college told us that we had to volunteer doing something and I'm not the kind of person to do DofE :wink:
Any kind of experience in communicating with a wide range of individuals is beneficial according to the unis I've spoken to

It's more generic than specific to psychology, and should only be a very small part of your PS

What age/what year were you in when you had done shadowing? I heard you can't get this opportunity until at least 18?
I've applied for psychology to start this September (I'm in year 13). It's not essential at all to have any kind of experience in a psychology-related field. Many psychology graduates go into market research, HR jobs, rather than straight up psychology/healthcare jobs. You need to demonstrate how you are suitable for the DEGREE COURSE, not a PSYCHOLOGIST.
Teachers told me my personal statement was quite strong for psychology so this is what I included:
I demonstrated my passion for cognitive & biological psychology, and mentioned a book I read. I then expanded my views on some of the points mentioned in the book.
I also talked about my extra reading of various cognitive research.
I mentioned my work in a charity shop and quite easily linked this is with the skills admission tutors look for.
I also mentioned quite a lot of my voluntary work/jobs and kept linking them in with what the admissions will want to see - communication, cooperation, working part of a team.

So I would recommend any kind of work experience you can get. You can easily link it in with a university application.
I was 16, I only did it earlier this year at Leighton Hospital
Hello, I want to study forensic psychology and I am currently looking for any work experience that I would mention in my personal statement,however, I can't find any, so like is volunteering in a childcare or any charity would be beneficial? Plus I am taking A-level biology,chemistry and maths, is it required for A-level psychology to be taken?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by prophetkid
I've applied for psychology to start this September (I'm in year 13). It's not essential at all to have any kind of experience in a psychology-related field. Many psychology graduates go into market research, HR jobs, rather than straight up psychology/healthcare jobs. You need to demonstrate how you are suitable for the DEGREE COURSE, not a PSYCHOLOGIST.
Teachers told me my personal statement was quite strong for psychology so this is what I included:
I demonstrated my passion for cognitive & biological psychology, and mentioned a book I read. I then expanded my views on some of the points mentioned in the book.
I mentioned my work in a charity shop and quite easily linked this is with the skills admission tutors look for.
I also mentioned quite a lot of my voluntary work/jobs and kept linking them in with what the admissions will want to see - communication, cooperation, working part of a team.

So I would recommend any kind of work experience you can get. You can easily link it in with a university application.

Hello, I want to study forensic psychology and I am currently looking for any work experience that I would mention in my personal statement,however, I can't find any, so like is volunteering in a childcare or any charity would be beneficial? Plus I am taking A-level biology,chemistry and maths, is it required for A-level psychology to be taken?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PlayerBB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not all schools/colleges offer psychology so its not a requirement. Science and maths quals are definitely favoured though. If you can get experience in childcare, I think that would be great. Any kind of volunteering appears to be highly favoured by universities though.
Not all schools/colleges offer psychology so its not a requirement. Science and maths quals are definitely favoured though. If you can get experience in childcare, I think that would be great. Any kind of volunteering appears to be highly favoured by universities though.

Oh great, you relieved me!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

what books did you read? how did you start it off? im in year 12 and i could really use some sentence starters?

Also what unis have ABB requirements for psychology?

I've been a prefect in my old school,I done chaperphoning at sunday school and ive done mentoring for enrichment.I've also do a EPQ on zimbardo's experiment

Are these good things to put in my PS?
Original post by scrawlx101
what books did you read? how did you start it off? im in year 12 and i could really use some sentence starters?

Also what unis have ABB requirements for psychology?

I've been a prefect in my old school,I done chaperphoning at sunday school and ive done mentoring for enrichment.I've also do a EPQ on zimbardo's experiment

Are these good things to put in my PS?

Chaperoning and mentoring are OK to mention briefly. The EPQ is more important, although Zimbardo is a common study to mention given that it is on the syllabus

Latest