The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical School 2016 Entry

Poll

Definitely applying to Leicester?

Hey Guys,
New thread for future medical school applicants (2016 entry) applying to Leicester for medicine :biggrin:
A|100 Only

Academic ability and UKCAT scores are each scored out of 30, as clearly explained in this document. As detailed in the above document, a further score of 30 is awarded for the personal statement and reference, combined. The following criteria apply:

Motivation and commitment

Appreciation of challenges of a medical career

Work experience and extracurricular activities

Contribution to school/college life and the wider community

Written communication skills

Support from teachers/staff

Confirmation of some aspects of personal statement in reference

A score out of 90 is awarded to each candidate, and those with the top 750 scores are invited to interview.

GCSE Requirements
Maths - C
English - C
Sciences - CC
Top 6 GCSE's marked out of 30, A* gives score of 5, A gives score of 4 etc.

A-Level Requirements
Typical Offer: AAA
Should have taken 4 AS-levels
A2 Chemistry is required but A2 Biology is not required, rather AS Biology is required.
Not acceptable: General Studies and Further Maths

Applicants: 2200
Interviews: 980
Offers: 350

Student Mix:
Mature: 6%
International: 7.5%

Course: Plate-Glass, a mixture of PBL and lectures.
Structure: Campus

Webiste: www.le.ac.uk/sm/le
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Update on Scoring System
In considering your application, we will calculate a score for your academic ability, up to a maximum of 34 points, based on your UCAS form. We will take into account your GCSE grades and any confirmed (not predicted) AS Level or A Level results. We will also consider predicted or confirmed IBacc results.This score will be combined with a score based on your UKCAT results, again up to 34 points, giving a maximum possible score of 68 points.Your combined score for your academic achievement and UKCAT will determine whether you are invited for interview. In order to distinguish between 'borderline' applicants, we may also take into account your 'personal qualities' based on your personal statement and reference

GCSEs
We will consider six of your GCSEs:

either English Language, Maths, Double Science (counts as two subjects) and your best two other subjects

or English language, Maths, Chemistry, Biology and your best two other subjects

These six grades will contribute up to 30 points as follows:
We will only take into account initial GCSE grades. No resit grades will be considered.

AS Levels
A further four points are available if you have completed your AS Levels but not yet received your A Level grades.We will consider up to four AS Levels which must include Chemistry and Biology. Critical Thinking and General Studies will not be considered. If Maths and Further Maths have been studied, only one will be taken into account.You will receive one point for each A grade; anything below an A will score no points.

UKCAT
Your score for the UKCAT (or UKCATSEN) will be obtained by simply dividing the total score you achieved in the test by 100, as follows:

If you scored 3,400 or above, you will score 34 points

If you scored 3,350 or above, you will score 33.5 points.

If you scored 3,300 or above, you will score 33 points.

...and so on.

http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/medicine/applying/scoring
P.S. Please use TSR online, for some reason not everything is showing if TSR is used on phone. Thank you.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
P.S. Please use TSR online, for some reason not everything is showing if TSR is used on phone. Thank you.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I understand after reading the admissions document, they don't use the personal statement unless one is a borderline candidate. Is this correct?
Original post by monstergirl
From what I understand after reading the admissions document, they don't use the personal statement unless one is a borderline candidate. Is this correct?

Oh wow
I didn't know this
So they would use the PS at the interview?
Unfortunately, I have changed my medical options and Leicester will not be one of my choices anymore because of the point system, so I will technically not have a good chance of getting in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Is there anyone else applying? :smile:)
anybody have an idea of the cut off line for UKCAT??
Hi I'm thinking of applying to Leicester for medicine. I got 7 A* and 1 A in my IGCSE's and I got 4As and 1B in my AS. Because of further subjects I'm taking I'm predicted 5A* and 1 A in total for a levels. My Ukcat wasn't too good I got a total of 2660. Anyone know if this is good enough? I'm hoping the national average for the UKCAT is lower this time.
Reply 8
I am hoping to apply to Leicester. These are my stats
I have got 6A* and 6A in GCSE's
5A's in AS level
Predicted could be A*A*A in order in Biology,Maths and Chem (also A* in Further Maths)
UKCAT : 730, SJT Band2
I think that make my score about 62....(on the basis of their scoring system) Correct me if I am wrong....

Is it a bad idea to apply to Leicester with SJT Band2 as they apparently use it in interview? I don't know how much will it hurt???

I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks
Nomita
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
What was the cut-off last year?
Hi I am scoring 57.5/60 not including PS
Can i apply ?
Thankyou
Original post by rmandala
Hi I am scoring 57.5/60 not including PS
Can i apply ?
Thankyou

Are you using the current scoring system? They changed to a mark out of 68 last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
where can i find the scoring system please.
Original post by rmandala
where can i find the scoring system please.

On their website. Google Leicester medicine admission 2016.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thankyou Forest cat
Original post by Whizbox

Yeah second this @ForestCat any idea what score you needed last year?
Original post by Jibberjab123
Yeah second this @ForestCat any idea what score you needed last year?

59.5 was quoted by Leicester I think but some had interviews with 58.5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
59.5 was quoted by Leicester I think but some had interviews with 58.5.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah great, thanks a lot, hopefully it doesn't go up by too much
Original post by Whizbox

the cut off last year was 59.5. that was the first year they started the point scoring system
Reply 19
Original post by nomita
I am hoping to apply to Leicester. These are my stats
I have got 6A* and 6A in GCSE's
5A's in AS level
Predicted could be A*A*A in order in Biology,Maths and Chem (also A* in Further Maths)
UKCAT : 730, SJT Band2

I think that make my score about 62....(on the basis of their scoring system) Correct me if I am wrong....

Is it a bad idea to apply to Leicester with SJT Band2 as they apparently use it in interview? I don't know how much will it hurt???

I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks
Nomita

Any advice please? Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest