The Student Room Group

choice of uni's abroad for an exchange

Hey guys i'm currently an undergrad at a UK university. I have the option of going on an exchange next year for a semester. The unis that i can go to are

1) University of British Columbia
2)McGill University
3)University of Virginia
4)University of Melbourne

could you guys help me out in deciding...i'm kinda leaning towards melbourne because i want to go to australia...or am i making the wrong choice??!!! your help would be appreciated!:confused:
Reply 1
Well, for one thing, what exactly do you want to get out of that term? I don't think people will be able to tell you whether you're making the wrong choice unless you specify what criteria you'll be basing your choice on...
Reply 2
a life changing experience...a fun place to go aswell as something totally different from the UK and also has to be a good uni and has a nice friendly environment
They are all really good schools, it just depends on what you are looking for.

I personally love UBC, but have heard good things about UVA and McGill.
Reply 4
is UVA well known? and can anyone give me pros and cons of goin to melbourne?why does everyone love UBC?
Reply 5
The university of Melbourne is regarded as one of Australia's top university, depending on which ranking you look at, it is the top university. One factor you might want to take into account when thinking about Melbourne, it's weather sometimes changes ridicously quickly. I myself experienced a temperature change of about 10 degrees in only a few days while I was there on a short vacation...
Reply 6
yeah i've heard 'four seasons in one day' i wish i was able to transfer to queensland! is the city upbeat or is it quite 'country' for someone coming from london?
Reply 7
o and btw i know everyone says the weather changes a lot...but how often is a lot?
Reply 8
I already wrote something in the US study forum about UVA and it sounds nice, but I don't know anyone who goes there.

4 really good friends of mine go to UBC for different subjects (child developmental psychology, erm...medicine?, another science, and engineering) and all of them love it, even though they hang out in different circles doing different things.

If you have any specific questions, I can probably ask them.

That said, Canada might not be the place to go if you're longing for Melbourne weather. While the temperatures in Vancouver are more moderate than that in most of Canada (it rarely snows, for example) and it is really pretty in Southern BC, it rains allll the time and it's definitely not going to be as warm as Australia.

I can't speak for the other unis though.
Reply 9
I've been to Canada twice, both times i went to toronto and it was lovely...but i would like to go somewhere where the weather will be good..vancouver looks amazing but if it rains that oftern its really going to put me off ..the uk had enough of it!!!!
Reply 10
You don't mention which subject you're taking - you may want to take this into consideration when picking the exchange uni....
Are the uni schedules for Australia the same as UK unis?
I know that the school schedules are totally different e.g. Australia starts the school yr in Jan - not Sept.
Are you just going for a term? Or a whole yr?
Do you care how far away you are??
Vancouver - London is only 8 hr flight. To Aus it's way longer!

UBC has an international reputation for science, and if you are a skier or snowboarder - this is the place to be! Whistler is just north of Vancouver and so far this winter has 9 m of snow! The city is very cosmopolitian. Beautiful since it's right on the ocean with views of mountains from the University. And Vancouver can in fact be quite warm in the summer - wreck beach is a nudist beach near the campus.

McGill is in the French speaking part of Canada - so a very different flavour. Here bars stay open REALLY late - so if partying is your thing Monteal is quite the place! Academically McGill is also very good.

Lots of things to think about..The international offices in the Canadian uni's are very helpful - call or email them and they'll tell you all about the place
Reply 11
brwnz
yeah i've heard 'four seasons in one day' i wish i was able to transfer to queensland! is the city upbeat or is it quite 'country' for someone coming from london?

I cannot really answer this question. I have been to London, but that has only been for a few hours. But from what I remember, London is really busy. Don't expect anything like that from Melbourne. The only very busy place with a lot of tourists is Sydney. One thing is certain about Australia: the lifestyle is more laid- back. Of course there are busy places in Australia's major cities, however it is not the same 'feeling'. I can't tell you about the nightlife in Melbourne as I was too young to go clubbing when I visited it. But with a big uni and 3 million people living there, I'd imagine there is a decent night life.
I agree, Queensland is the way to go. I loved Brisbane and as far as I know two of the universities there have a pretty good reputation.
Reply 12
thanks guys that really helped! and to answer arods questions...im studying maths, i'm not too bothered how far im going as its only for a semester...and these exchanges are arranged by the uni to fit in with your course,so when the academic year starts should't be a problem
Reply 13
Ah, then I think you'd have a great time anywhere you go..
Just be sure that it's summer in Aus if you pick Melbourne and not winter!
I was there on a student exchange when I was 16 and July and Aug are pretty cold - they don't seem to heat their houses over there!! I nearly froze indoors and I'm from Canada so I thought I'd be used to the cold! Ended up wearing all of my clothes to bed at night since they either didn't have heating or just didn't turn it on. Might be 18C in the day, but it'd go down to 3C at night... Brrrr
Reply 14
UVA and McGill are the two best unis on that list. McGill is slightly more hippy, free-spirit, and UVA is slightly more southern belle, girls wearing skirts and pearls-esque.

Obviously there are exceptions, but those are two basic generalizations.
Reply 15
brwnz
Hey guys i'm currently an undergrad at a UK university. I have the option of going on an exchange next year for a semester. The unis that i can go to are

1) University of British Columbia
2)McGill University
3)University of Virginia
4)University of Melbourne

could you guys help me out in deciding...i'm kinda leaning towards melbourne because i want to go to australia...or am i making the wrong choice??!!! your help would be appreciated!:confused:

I would say the university of Virginia, its got a beautiful campus!!! and a great rep. McGill also but Montreal is freaking cold !!!
Hey brwnz which uni do you go to that has exchange abroad programme? I've been looking for it!
Reply 17
I go to Nottingham University..its a part of the U21 scheme!
Reply 18
I would pick UVA in your position, but really the other schools are just as good academically. It's more what you want out of the experience.

Latest

Trending

Trending