The Student Room Group

Opinions on Soya Milk...

Hi

So I drink Alpro Soya Light, I really like it for a few reasons. A few years ago I stopped using full fat cows milk and I switched to skimmed milk. I like skimmed but I found out I could only use certain brands as different brands just tasted sour :/ maybe it was just me!

I started using soya milk and I really like it. Love it in cereal, hot chocolate, the odd glass aswell. I am not much of a baker. However I do like homemade rice pudding so I am thinking of making it with soya original. I find I can really taste the cereal and not just overwhelmed with the taste of full fat cows milk. After using alpro soya light my tummy feels great. I dont have any digestion issues but if i used full fat milk id feel a bit queasy.

I used tesco's soya milk before it was nice but sweeter than I would like.
I dont think I am lactose intolerant though, as I love yogurt and I have to restrain myself around Ben & Jerry's. I think its just cows milk and cream i hate.
I am just wondering what brands do you like? is almond milk good friend of mine swears by it.

I don't know if soya milk is good or bad for you (I hear alot of opinions) but it works for me and I like it.
Reply 1
Original post by The_River
Hi

So I drink Alpro Soya Light, I really like it for a few reasons. A few years ago I stopped using full fat cows milk and I switched to skimmed milk. I like skimmed but I found out I could only use certain brands as different brands just tasted sour :/ maybe it was just me!

I started using soya milk and I really like it. Love it in cereal, hot chocolate, the odd glass aswell. I am not much of a baker. However I do like homemade rice pudding so I am thinking of making it with soya original. I find I can really taste the cereal and not just overwhelmed with the taste of full fat cows milk. After using alpro soya light my tummy feels great. I dont have any digestion issues but if i used full fat milk id feel a bit queasy.

I used tesco's soya milk before it was nice but sweeter than I would like.
I dont think I am lactose intolerant though, as I love yogurt and I have to restrain myself around Ben & Jerry's. I think its just cows milk and cream i hate.
I am just wondering what brands do you like? is almond milk good friend of mine swears by it.

I don't know if soya milk is good or bad for you (I hear alot of opinions) but it works for me and I like it.

I also have alpro soya milk, I've been drinking it for a few years now, and I love it. The only thing I don't have it in is tea, because for some reason it tastes strange in tea, but I have it in everything else, even porridge. I'm not lactose intolerant either, but I just don't like the taste of cows milk. I don't see any issue with having it if that's your preference, and it certainly hasn't done me any harm :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jen245
I also have alpro soya milk, I've been drinking it for a few years now, and I love it. The only thing I don't have it in is tea, because for some reason it tastes strange in tea, but I have it in everything else, even porridge. I'm not lactose intolerant either, but I just don't like the taste of cows milk. I don't see any issue with having it if that's your preference, and it certainly hasn't done me any harm :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok I guess that makes sense :smile: I dont drink tea anyway cause I think its strange lol
Oh yes I have had porridge with it before and it was lovely :smile:
Thats good. I feel better with it. So many people have opinions on it though!
Reply 3
I have been drinking Alpro coconut soya milk for a few months... it has way more taste to it than what our household usually has - semi-skimmed milk. I am also not lactose intolerant but I guess just wanting to try new things :smile:

I still have dairy but on the odd occasion, like ice cream. Completely cut out butter though! I haven't had any problems and find it adds a cool taste to my fruit smoothies and muesli ^^
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Ah ok I guess that makes sense :smile: I dont drink tea anyway cause I think its strange lol
Oh yes I have had porridge with it before and it was lovely :smile:
Thats good. I feel better with it. So many people have opinions on it though!

Don't worry about other people's opinions, if it works for you that's all that matters :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by jen245
Don't worry about other people's opinions, if it works for you that's all that matters :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
It was just a bit tiresome hearing soya milk gives you cancer etc ..

Have you baked/cooked with it much? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by azndian
I have been drinking Alpro coconut soya milk for a few months... it has way more taste to it than what our household usually has - semi-skimmed milk. I am also not lactose intolerant but I guess just wanting to try new things :smile:

I still have dairy but on the odd occasion, like ice cream. Completely cut out butter though! I haven't had any problems and find it adds a cool taste to my fruit smoothies and muesli ^^

Oh coconut :smile: thats sounds nice! does it taste really sweet? I wouldnt mind trying different soya milk types but if their are too sweet I prob wont like them. I like the unsweetened stuff :smile:

Yeah I had semi-skimmed before I know what you mean. I love trying new things too :smile:
Ice cream is amazing.. Id try soya ice cream if i seen it selling. Yeah I am not a fan of butter at all on anything (except potatoes I am Irish after all lol )

Fruit smoothies are lush. I have never put milk in them just juice/ice/fruit and if i wanted them a little bit thicker so natural yogurt.

Thickies sound good though with like cereal added in.
Reply 7
Thank you :smile:
It was just a bit tiresome hearing soya milk gives you cancer etc ..

Have you baked/cooked with it much? :smile:

I have baked cakes and cupcakes and pancakes with alpro coconut milk! Tastes just as good
Reply 8
Original post by azndian
I have baked cakes and cupcakes and pancakes with alpro coconut milk! Tastes just as good

Oh that is good to know :biggrin: I am not much of a baker but if I do get the urge would like to make them with soya milk and not switch back to dairy.

Never had pancakes made with milk before sounds yummy :ahee:
Reply 9
Oh that is good to know :biggrin: I am not much of a baker but if I do get the urge would like to make them with soya milk and not switch back to dairy.

Never had pancakes made with milk before sounds yummy :ahee:

Yup, my pancakes are just plain flour, water/alpro coconut milk, 2 eggs and a lil baking powder! Gotta get back to making them though haha.

Oh coconut :smile: thats sounds nice! does it taste really sweet? I wouldnt mind trying different soya milk types but if their are too sweet I prob wont like them. I like the unsweetened stuff :smile:

Yeah I had semi-skimmed before I know what you mean. I love trying new things too :smile:
Ice cream is amazing.. Id try soya ice cream if i seen it selling. Yeah I am not a fan of butter at all on anything (except potatoes I am Irish after all lol )

Fruit smoothies are lush. I have never put milk in them just juice/ice/fruit and if i wanted them a little bit thicker so natural yogurt.

Thickies sound good though with like cereal added in.

Sweet... hmm, I think its a lil sweeter than unsweetened soya but damn the coconut is strong... never liked coconut but its the real deal!

Tried almond alpro but didn't like it... the chocolate alpro is so good!!!
Reply 10
Original post by azndian
Yup, my pancakes are just plain flour, water/alpro coconut milk, 2 eggs and a lil baking powder! Gotta get back to making them though haha.

Sweet... hmm, I think its a lil sweeter than unsweetened soya but damn the coconut is strong... never liked coconut but its the real deal!

Tried almond alpro but didn't like it... the chocolate alpro is so good!!!

Oh they sound lovely :smile: I wanna throw some blueberries in aswell!

Its weird I like a certain level of sweetness but alot of things can be sickly sweet if that makes sense. I'm weird :ahee:

Oh chocolate alpro sounds nice :smile: will have to try it!
Hi! I am gluten and lactose intolerant and have tried all kinds of dairy free alternatives for nearly a decade (I'm 19 now). I also use Alpro soya Light (or unsweetened whole bean) and love to make my own soya cappuccinos! I also like to use Alpro (or Almond Breeze) unsweetened almond milk on gluten free cereal. I've also tried coconut milk (as the drink in the carton, not tin), hazelnut milk, rice milk, oat milk but I still prefer Alpro Soya Light or unsweetened soya and unsweetened almond milk (I don't like really sweet things).

I'd be interested to hear which brands of soya milk people have tried! 😃
Reply 12
yes soya milk is lovely!
I really like soya milk but sadly I'm allergic to it :frown:

Have you tried Almond milk or rice milk? They're also amazing :smile:
In my opinion soya milk tastes like arse. Much prefer hazelnut/ almond milk.
I've tried soya, almond, hazelnut milk because my mum is lactose intolerant and always has it in ... I don't really like the taste of soya. Almond milk is OK in small doses. I stick to drinking skimmed cows milk. :smile:
Soya milks really differ by brand. I like Alpro and Provamel soya unsweetened but not sweetened. I have tried some supermarket soya milks but I don't like them that much (some tasted nasty whilst some tasted okay but didn't work well in coffee). Nut milks are great on cereal and for drinking straight 😋
Original post by teamonkey
In my opinion soya milk tastes like arse. Much prefer hazelnut/ almond milk.

Ditto. Same goes for "Oat drink" :yucky:

Quick Reply

Latest