The Student Room Group

Which Career Is The Most Prestigious (in your opinion)?

Poll

Which one?

Vote on the poll :yep:

Edit - do you feel that one's salary in those careers affects prestige? For example, even if you thought being a doctor > being an entrepreneur, would a Silicon Valley multimillionaire still be less prestigious than being a 40-50k a year doctor? (thanks Noble)
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Let's just see how long it takes for him to figure it out
Reply 2
Original post by TornadoGR4
Let's just see how long it takes for him to figure it out

Poor you. TSR posts threads before the poll's added :smug:
shirkerist
It's difficult to say, because in my opinion prestige is more associated with the extent to which you excel in your career, rather than which particular career it is. For example I think a university professor such as Stephen Hawking would carry more prestige than an average politician, whereas a politician such as David Cameron would carry more prestige than an average university professor.

If I really had to pick one though, I'd go with Investment Banking.
Reply 5
Original post by physicst
shirkerist

Reply 6
Original post by tazarooni89
It's difficult to say, because in my opinion prestige is more associated with the extent to which you excel in your career, rather than which particular career it is. For example I think a university professor such as Stephen Hawking would carry more prestige than an average politician, whereas a politician such as David Cameron would carry more prestige than an average university professor.

If I really had to pick one though, I'd go with Investment Banking.

Yeah, the poll's assuming you were around the same level/making the same amount in each (which is why I posted 50-100k for entrepreneurs because the amount they earn is pretty up and down AFAIK?) :smile:

Why IB? I'd say that or lawyer. Maybe doctor too
Original post by NickEgg
Yeah, the poll's assuming you were around the same level/making the same amount in each (which is why I posted 50-100k for entrepreneurs because the amount they earn is pretty up and down AFAIK?) :smile:

Why IB? I'd say that or lawyer. Maybe doctor too

I think the argument that IB is the most prestigious is because of how difficult it is to get a job within IB. The recruitment process for IB is far harder and many times more competitive that that for doctors and nearly every other career. The only other career that comes close imo is lawyers but thats only at the top law firms.
Reply 8
Original post by Bloxorus
I think the argument that IB is the most prestigious is because of how difficult it is to get a job within IB. The recruitment process for IB is far harder and many times more competitive that that for doctors and nearly every other career. The only other career that comes close imo is lawyers but thats only at the top law firms.

Yep, AFAIK it's about as hard to get a job in IB as it is in a top City law firm? They'd be on around the same salary though (correct me if I'm wrong).

It's really hard to get into medicine but I guess once you do it's a lot easier to become a doctor yep.

Not sure about for architects etc., but for entrepreneurs it's really hard to make the first 50-100k I guess (no fixed salary)
People will just pick their own careers/ambitions. I picked 'other'.
IB > Politician > Law > Doctor
Reply 11
Original post by gr8wizard10
IB > Politician > Law > Doctor

in b4 rustled medic brigade

I dunno where entrepreneurs fit in lol. Assuming they're on at least 50 - 100k (decent salary)
Original post by NickEgg
I dunno where entrepreneurs fit in lol. Assuming they're on at least 50 - 100k (decent salary)

unless ftse100 management, not prestigious
Original post by TornadoGR4
People will just pick their own careers/ambitions. I picked 'other'.

The correct answer is footballer btw
Reply 14

How much do the FTSE100 managers make?
Aviators :wink: even if they aren't on the poll
Reply 16
Original post by SceneKid17
Aviators :wink: even if they aren't on the poll

That's "other" :smile: thanks for the rep btw
Original post by NickEgg
That's "other" :smile: thanks for the rep btw

I saw DiCaprio so I kinda had too ahah and no worries

No. A tech entrepreneur who IPOs or gets acquired is many times more prestigious than some IB schmuck.
Original post by NickEgg
How much do the FTSE100 managers make?

a lot

Quick Reply

Latest