The Student Room Group

Which Career Is The Most Prestigious (in your opinion)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by gr8wizard10
a lot

more than the silicon valley multimillionaires?

I wouldn't say they're entrepreneurs more intrapreneurs (within their companies)
Original post by NickEgg
How much do the FTSE100 managers make?

Depends what kind of "managers" you are referring to.

C-suite? VP/SVP? General Managers? Middle management?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Bloxorus
I think the argument that IB is the most prestigious is because of how difficult it is to get a job within IB. The recruitment process for IB is far harder and many times more competitive that that for doctors and nearly every other career. The only other career that comes close imo is lawyers but thats only at the top law firms.

I don't think that's really it, I think IB is considered most prestigious because it's (by far) the best paying 'graduate career' not only by base salary but also when you take into consideration total comp. While you're right the competition is much higher than it is within medicine, I wouldn't necessarily say it was 'harder' - they're too different to compare really.

Original post by NickEgg
Yep, AFAIK it's about as hard to get a job in IB as it is in a top City law firm? They'd be on around the same salary though (correct me if I'm wrong).

It's really hard to get into medicine but I guess once you do it's a lot easier to become a doctor yep.

Not sure about for architects etc., but for entrepreneurs it's really hard to make the first 50-100k I guess (no fixed salary)

You'll earn more in IB, primarily because IB (front-office) bonuses are much nicer than one you'd get as a lawyer (certainly in the first ~5 years of a career, but probably on the whole as well).
Reply 23
Original post by Princepieman
Depends what kind of "managers" you are referring to.

C-suite? VP/SVP? General Managers? Middle management?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah don't know what he's referring to exactly.

They're more intrapreneurs anyway as they work for others

No. A tech entrepreneur who IPOs or gets acquired is many times more prestigious than some IB schmuck.

Tech entrepreneurs who get lucky in the millions/billions are up there yep.

Most people I know would rather be doctors tho
Reply 24
Original post by SceneKid17
Aviators :wink: even if they aren't on the poll

When you say aviators, do you mean airline pilots, pilots in general?
Doctor, simply because of the amount of time spent studying to go into the profession, the money made and the fact you're helping others.

Lawyer seems a close second to me, similar to the reasons for Doctors, other than the fact you're probably not helping others.

I mean, could you imagine a world without lawyers?

Original post by Noble.
When you say aviators, do you mean airline pilots, pilots in general?

id say pilots in general
Reply 27
Original post by Noble.
I don't think that's really it, I think IB is considered most prestigious because it's (by far) the best paying 'graduate career' not only by base salary but also when you take into consideration total comp. While you're right the competition is much higher than it is within medicine, I wouldn't necessarily say it was 'harder' - they're too different to compare really.

You'll earn more in IB, primarily because IB (front-office) bonuses are much nicer than one you'd get as a lawyer (certainly in the first ~5 years of a career, but probably on the whole as well).

Yeah this is just a general "prestige" thread. Which did you vote for?

How much more on average?
Any kind of worthwhile science research IMO.

Then again I am studying physics in September :colonhash:
Reply 29
Original post by Drunken Bard
Doctor, simply because of the amount of time spent studying to go into the profession, the money made and the fact you're helping others.

Lawyer seems a close second to me, similar to the reasons for Doctors, other than the fact you're probably not helping others.

I mean, could you imagine a world without lawyers?

Doctors get a decent salary yep, isn't it harder to get rich as one though? Agree with time spent studying though, plus medicine is a hard degree to even get onto.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3252487

Lol
The people who have voted investment bankers are hilarious!

Prestigious - inspiring respect and admiration.

Bankers are pretty much just as hated as politicians, so you can't exactly call it prestigious.

(Side note - Don't moan at me for hating on bankers, I don't hate them that much and I'm considering a career in that field anyway.)
Reply 31
Original post by Dancatpro
Any kind of worthwhile science research IMO.

Then again I am studying physics in September :colonhash:

Should've added researcher, it's varied though. You can vote for Other? :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by SceneKid17
id say pilots in general

Ah ok, because unfortunately being an airline pilot now-a-days is anything but prestigious. In the ~1960s, it certainly was (and pilots were among some of the most educated members of public, with insane competition to become one) but when the industry shifted from hiring, investing in and training up pilots to one where you now have to pay £90k+ to pay for your own training (and aircraft are considerably less complex to fly on a day to day basis), where pilots are generally treated no better than bus drivers by airlines and seen as pretty expendable, it's difficult to justify it being a prestigious career.
Original post by NickEgg
Yeah don't know what he's referring to exactly.

They're more intrapreneurs anyway as they work for others

Tech entrepreneurs who get lucky in the millions/billions are up there yep.

Most people I know would rather be doctors tho

I think he was referring to someone who made a a company which, in turn, grew to be a FTSE100 company. Intrapreneurs are those who start new business functions and/or regional offices within a larger company - not exactly your bog standard manager.

Nah, I'd rather go the tech entrepreneur route tbh, I don't see the appeal in being a Doctor personally - even though I voted for it.
Reply 34
Original post by jamestg
The people who have voted investment bankers are hilarious!

Prestigious - inspiring respect and admiration.

Bankers are pretty much just as hated as politicians, so you can't exactly call it prestigious.

(Side note - Don't moan at me for hating on bankers, I don't hate them that much and I'm considering a career in that field anyway.)

Thank you! People seem to merely vote for most paying or most commended careers. But in terms of prestige, the opinion is supposed to be something service based... Like a doctor. Or even teaching or research IMO
Reply 35
Original post by AvWOW
Thank you! People seem to merely vote for most paying or most commended careers. But in terms of prestige, the opinion is supposed to be something service based... Like a doctor. Or even teaching or research IMO

For some of us £££ equals prestige. Definition doesn't have to mean service based (though it can)

Reply 36
Original post by NickEgg
For some of us £££ equals prestige. Definition doesn't have to mean service based (though it can)

Hahah. Well.. a little sad me thinks :smile:
Original post by Noble.
Ah ok, because unfortunately being an airline pilot now-a-days is anything but prestigious. In the ~1960s, it certainly was (and pilots were among some of the most educated members of public, with insane competition to become one) but when the industry shifted from hiring, investing in and training up pilots to one where you now have to pay £90k+ to pay for your own training (and aircraft are considerably less complex to fly on a day to day basis), where pilots are generally treated no better than bus drivers by airlines and seen as pretty expendable, it's difficult to justify it being a prestigious career.

Considering its my dream career I think very highly of it. But yeah I get you it costs a lot but I guess its all worth it in the end and its not as easy as some people may think it too be.... you cant possibly compare bus drivers to pilots? :s-smilie: its actually ranked the 4th most well paid job in the world!! (2014)
Reply 38
Original post by NickEgg
Yeah this is just a general "prestige" thread. Which did you vote for?

How much more on average?

I didn't vote. I'd probably vote University Professor or Doctor though.

Quite a bit more, you start off on more in IB and salary progresses much more quickly in IB as well. So, on average, after 10 (or even 5) years in the industry bankers will be on significantly more than lawyers.
Reply 39
Original post by Princepieman
I think he was referring to someone who made a a company which, in turn, grew to be a FTSE100 company. Intrapreneurs are those who start new business functions and/or regional offices within a larger company - not exactly your bog standard manager.

Nah, I'd rather go the tech entrepreneur route tbh, I don't see the appeal in being a Doctor personally - even though I voted for it.

Oh right. Yeah, if it was just someone who worked their way up to a management position in a FTSE100, admirable but not really an entrepreneur.

The thing that bugs me about being a doctor (besides the NHS seeming like a ****ty employer re: the way it treats whistleblowers etc and having to do a lot of gory jobs/deal with patients) is the earnings cap. A lot of people do still go into medicine for the money, but IMO it's not the best reason to do it.

AvWOW
Hahah. Well.. a little sad me thinks

Each to their own. If we're gonna start insulting, some consider a low salary sad :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest