The Student Room Group

Choosing a level options

I'm currently choosing my a level options and struggling between what combination to pick. I'm probably going to study psychology and uni and I don't know what combination of other subjects would be the best to compliment psychology.
I'm definitely looking to study psychology and biology, but I've also been considering sociology, history, maths and law. I think sociology would be quite easy to understand and revise so I would probably get a good grade in it. However I've studied history and maths at GCSE and have done quite well in both so it would be sensible to continue with them. On the other hand I'm also interested in studying in law in university so I thought if I took law at a level maybe it would help me to decide.
If anybody has any suggestions of a levels to take or the combinations it would be very helpful. Thank you x
Definitely avoid law. It's discouraged even if you want to do a law degree. You'll know whether you want to do it by comparing modules and course content to a psychology degree.

Psychology, Biology, Maths and History would open up the most doors to you. Don't pick A-levels based on their perceived ease. Do ones that are the most valuable.
I'd say take maths lots of universities like people with Maths at A-level and take History because it's more worth it than Law and Sociology. You also might want to consider the one you drop at A2 so pick your three main ones.
I'm looking for career in law and was advised not to take it at a level, however I was told that history was very highly regarded by universities. When doing tasters, I thought psychology and sociology complimented each other well, there was a link between my GCSEs psychology course and my introduction to sociology. I would just advise that you choose subjects that you feel confident in and that you enjoy!

Quick Reply

Latest