The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
HenvY
not only is it 'estimated', it's america. I wonder if they include prison rapes in that?
if we take this statistics for fact what do they mean? they mean a man has 1/10th the chance of a woman of getting raped when taking a lift from a stranger - so obviously, clearly, gender matters.

America isn't that different from us. Grr. I'm sure the link I have on my old computer was stats from England, but since I can't prove it we'll have to make do with these. I'd assume they would have included prison rapes in the stats (why would they not?) and they're not "incredibly miniscule" as you say in your other post - I'd imagine that they are vastly under-reported because of the stigma attached to male rape.

Anyway, the point I was trying to support with these was that male rape exists, and although it isn't as common as rape of women, anyone getting into a car with a stranger is putting themself at risk of some kind of crime against the person. I still think that point is intuitively obvious to anyone with a notion of common sense (did they not teach you this at primary school? I don't mean that in an insulting way, just that I can remember having police officers in to talk to our class and so on.)
sssh
America isn't that different from us. Grr. I'm sure the link I have on my old computer was stats from England, but since I can't prove it we'll have to make do with these. I'd assume they would have included prison rapes in the stats (why would they not?) and they're not "incredibly miniscule" as you say in your other post - I'd imagine that they are vastly under-reported because of the stigma attached to male rape.

Anyway, the point I was trying to support with these was that male rape exists, and although it isn't as common as rape of women, anyone getting into a car with a stranger is putting themself at risk of some kind of crime against the person. I still think that point is intuitively obvious to anyone with a notion of common sense (did they not teach you this at primary school? I don't mean that in an insulting way, just that I can remember having police officers in to talk to our class and so on.)

what, as opposed to the lack of stigma with female rape?

Yes, because a stranger trying to entice a child into their car is the same as someone offering a stranger a lift. :rolleyes:
HenvY
But yet again, that's not what we're talking about. I was listing them as unnecessary risks. However, even if I wasn't, the risk of that from many years of smoking is high, but that's not what I said. The risk of doing something incredibly stupid or dying while on marijuana, cocaine, ecstacy or your other party drugs, is very very low. If you were trying to sound like a stuck up middle class ****, then congratulations you ****ing bore. But while doing so you still failed to prove what the OP did was either dangerous or wrong.

And if you were trying to sound like an angry, inarticulate, frustrated little boy then congratulations. Every time you get into an argument on this forum all you do is swear at people and tell them they're talking ****. For someone so opinionated you'd think you'd be better able to put together a more eloquent statement than "what a load of *******s" or other choice morsels from your thoroughly diverse vocabulary. You're so caught up trying to win every time that you have failed to notice that the whole point of a forum is to discuss things, but no one within these debates can ever prove their opinions (let alone something as abstract and intangible as whether or not getting into the car was dangerous) and that includes you. That was why it was so fantastically ironic earlier when you told me my opinion was wrong - because the statement that I was wrong was your opinion. Which I could tell you was wrong. And that would be my opinion, which you could tell me was wrong. Do you see where we're going here? Because I'm getting dizzy trying to tolerate your mouthing off. Opinions are just that, opinions. They are subjective - you are not the objective viewpoint here, your statements are just as fallible and debatable as anyone else's and you would do well to realise that before life gives you a smack in the face, literally or metaphorically speaking.
Reply 83
HenvY
what, as opposed to the lack of stigma with female rape?

Stop being silly, you knew what I meant. There is more of a stigma attached to male rape because it has been talked about much less in the media; it is seen as a thing that happens almost only to women (a misconception propagated by people like you) and reporting it as somehow more shameful for a man. Or so I am told. Naturally, it depends on the individual personality of the victim, but this is a general view.

Yes, because a stranger trying to entice a child into their car is the same as someone offering a stranger a lift. :rolleyes:

Good advice isn't just for childhood, it's for life.
HenvY
not only is it 'estimated', it's america. I wonder if they include prison rapes in that?

I've got the British statistics somewhere, just did a 4000 word essay on male rape and the law... Bear with me a sec.

In 2003 there were 852 reported male rapes and 11,441 reported femle rapes, which I work out to be about 7%?

Home Office (2003) Statistics on Women and the Criminal Justice System, p.45 <http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs2/s95women03.pdf>

However, campaign groups suggest the actual number of cases is significantly higher. E.g. The Rape Crisis Coordinating Group <http://www.rapecrisis.org.uk/myths.html>

As for the stigma attached to male rape victims, of course it is higher. Not only is the masculinity of the victim questioned, his ability to defend himself etc it may also throw doubts upon his sexuality. Its not just gay men that get raped, and its not just gay men who rape other men either. I think the rapecrisis link I already posted has details of a study of the sexuality of offenders.
I did that.

I got into a car with my 2 best friends and a girl we'd only just met to get a lift home.

It was only halfway through the journey that we realised how stupid we were and grabbed each others hands.

We're all 17/18 and have learnt our lesson not to do it again!
I've done a similar thing...in the summer (so I was 17) I was walking back to school during a free period and a woman pulled over and asked for directions to a school which was opposite mine. I pointed her in the vague direction and she said she could give me a lift back if I could show her where it was, so I got in. I felt a bit stupid afterwards, but she had booklets with the school logo on with her (she was applying for a job there) and I trust my instincts. Had it been a man I would have been reluctant, I suppose, though I guess there are still risks regardless of the gender.
Jennybean
I wouldn't have thought the physical ability to defend oneself makes much difference when some psycho pulls out a knife and locks the car doors. You're giving the hypothetical criminal a lot of credit here - I doubt most would have their victims in a situation where it would be a fair contest between the two people's physical strength.

precisely going through my mind as well.
99% of the people commiting the rape are males?
1% are female? I never thought of females commiting rape.
Reply 89
Philosoraptor

yeh but some women are psychos you know, like the ones that beat their husbands!
Reply 90
pinkpinkuk
I've got the British statistics somewhere, just did a 4000 word essay on male rape and the law... Bear with me a sec.

In 2003 there were 852 reported male rapes and 11,441 reported femle rapes, which I work out to be about 7%?

Home Office (2003) Statistics on Women and the Criminal Justice System, p.45 <http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs2/s95women03.pdf>

However, campaign groups suggest the actual number of cases is significantly higher. E.g. The Rape Crisis Coordinating Group <http://www.rapecrisis.org.uk/myths.html>

As for the stigma attached to male rape victims, of course it is higher. Not only is the masculinity of the victim questioned, his ability to defend himself etc it may also throw doubts upon his sexuality. Its not just gay men that get raped, and its not just gay men who rape other men either. I think the rapecrisis link I already posted has details of a study of the sexuality of offenders.

Thankyou for supporting my post...I notice HenvY has disappeared. This is the main annoyance with debating on the internet!

philosoraptor

I didn't think women could actually legally commit rape...is this some strange kind of statistical thing where they have to put 99%? We probably shouldn't get onto this topic, I remember well a 54569579857349 page thread about this very subject.
Yeah women can't be perpetrators of rape. Has to be with a penis, legally, which presents difficulties. :wink: Otherwise it falls under the category of other sexual offences.

But as stated men couldn't be victims either until 1994 :s-smilie: Which sucks.

Theres a lot of misunderstanding about rape in our society and its still taboo to talk about. Shame.
Reply 92
pinkpinkuk
Yeah women can't be perpetrators of rape. Has to be with a penis, legally, which presents difficulties. :wink: Otherwise it falls under the category of other sexual offences.

But as stated men couldn't be victims either until 1994 :s-smilie: Which sucks.

Theres a lot of misunderstanding about rape in our society and its still taboo to talk about. Shame.

yh but girls dont have to rape using a penis, they could use a dildo in a mans bum or something, or fondle with his penis then rape him
The legal definition of rape includes the word 'penis' though, so its not possible for a woman to actually rape someone. (Sexual Offences Act)

Anything else is sexual assault by penetration, causing someone to engage in sexual activity or something similar.

Latest

Trending

Trending