The Student Room Group

The veil

Scroll to see replies

Original post by footstool1924
So we should fine someone who wears one?

So because of your insecurities, we should ban it.

I don't think these people actually care what you think.

This is you telling a Muslim woman why she is wearing it, not the Muslim woman telling you why she's wearing it.

If those were your reasons, they weren't very good ones.

I thought he was taking the piss. I was waiting for "(sarcasm)."

However, yea when I see it I have recently learned not to double take at them.
The viel should not be worn in places as follows (this applies to countries which are NOT islamic/under an islamic government)

In public
Court
Public facilities and public transport (buses, planes, trains)
Schools
Hospitals+GP
Airports
Bus stations and train stations
probably more but i cant think of them
This is an academic discussion as the government are terrified of the potential of the Muslim population to turn to violence and would never challenge them over this.
If it was Buddhist or Quakers pressuring their women to wear the veil, they would have been banned long ago.
Original post by MenAreHumanToo
The viel should not be worn in places as follows (this applies to countries which are NOT islamic/under an islamic government)

In public
Court
Public facilities and public transport (buses, planes, trains)
Schools
Hospitals+GP
Airports
Bus stations and train stations
probably more but i cant think of them

Probably just list the places where you think people should be allowed to wear them.

We don't want to wait ages for your bloody list to be complete.
Original post by caravaggio2
This is an academic discussion as the government are terrified of the potential of the Muslim population to turn to violence and would never challenge them over this.
If it was Buddhist or Quakers pressuring their women to wear the veil, they would have been banned long ago.

How many Niqaab wearing woman have you conversed with about the Niqaab?
Probably just list the places where you think people should be allowed to wear them.

We don't want to wait ages for your bloody list to be complete.

What? who said im going to complete them? Go to specsavers mate
What? who said im going to complete them? Go to specsavers mate

I'm saying it's probably easier for you to list the places where the Niqaab can be worn, as opposed to listing the places where it can't be worn.
I quite like the idea behind the veil. I think we need to see it in a different prospective as to what the media portrays it to be.
Here's an example...
Say you have a loose diamond, one of a kind, the biggest carat weight, price beyond numbers can go. Wouldn't you want to protect it? Keep it locked up in a safe deposit ?
Islam has literally compared women to a diamond (natural beauty)
This is why women wear the veil. Because they feel beautiful, not because they are 'insecure' or 'oppressed' it's quite the opposite actually.
I'm saying it's probably easier for you to list the places where the Niqaab can be worn, as opposed to listing the places where it can't be worn.

Niqaab should only be worn in an Islamic country and in private (their own home)
Niqaab should only be worn in an Islamic country and in private (their own home)

As I foretold, a much shorter list.

Wearing the Niqaab in private would completely defeat the purpose. You do realize that people don't wear the Niqaab at home, you know?
(edited 8 years ago)
As I foretold, a much shorter list.

Wearing the Niqaab in private would completely defeat the purpose. You do realize that people don't wear the Niqaab at home, you know?

That is definatly not a short list. Really, it is not.

And i assumed people do because i have knocked at a few peoples door and they were wearing niqaabs when they opened for some reason idk.
That is definatly not a short list. Really, it is not.

I don't know if you can get a much shorter list than one word consisting of 7 letters.

And i assumed people do because i have knocked at a few peoples door and they were wearing niqaabs when they opened for some reason idk.

Well, obviously they put it on when they answer the door.
I don't know if you can get a much shorter list than one word consisting of 7 letters.

Well, obviously they put it on when they answer the door.

Niqaab should only be worn in an Islamic country - This means EVERYPLACE that is not in an islamic country

and yes i should have thought of that lol
When I see women wearing this black long dress thing(a veil) I somehow feel scared, I know that is pretty stupid.

I think the real reason why people are against women wearing veils is simply because they want to speak with people face to face and wearing one prevents that.

Just imagine talking to your employer, how do you think he/she will feel, its as if they will be talking to a wall.
Original post by German123

Just imagine talking to your employer, how do you think he/she will feel, its as if they will be talking to a wall.

What kind of wall responds back. None. Therefore either the employer has gone mad or is actually talking to a person.:h:
Original post by aamirac
I quite like the idea behind the veil. I think we need to see it in a different prospective as to what the media portrays it to be.
Here's an example...
Say you have a loose diamond, one of a kind, the biggest carat weight, price beyond numbers can go. Wouldn't you want to protect it? Keep it locked up in a safe deposit ?
Islam has literally compared women to a diamond (natural beauty)
This is why women wear the veil. Because they feel beautiful, not because they are 'insecure' or 'oppressed' it's quite the opposite actually.

I'm confused, are men not beautiful. The diamond comparison is rather poor but it does demonstrate a rather disturbing thing, sexism can be both whore and madonna.
The whore side treats the sex (in this case women) as tools to be used, they are there for sexual pleasure, for reproductive purposes etc, they are an ends to a means. The second is the madonna it treats women like delicate little flowers, like precious objects, they need to be guarded, they need to be locked away protected from the corruption of the world. Both are controlling, both are abusive, both are sexist. finally a diamond is not valuable by nature but by its rarity and usage, it has no objective natural value.
Original post by yelllowribbon
Idk to be honest, even though I'm Muslim I feel that a full face veil isn't actually something good. Especially today in the society that we have, there needs to be a lot more integration between communities, as that is something that reduces prejudice and intolerance. But I feel the full face veil just cuts people off which ultimately presents the view that they don't want to have any type of communication with anyone, and means that there is less integration as a whole

Intergration as in, fornication?
Niqaab should only be worn in an Islamic country - This means EVERYPLACE that is not in an islamic country

Perhaps you might want to give a logical and reasonable explanation as to why you believe this should be the case.
Original post by German123
When I see women wearing this black long dress thing(a veil) I somehow feel scared, I know that is pretty stupid.

I think the real reason why people are against women wearing veils is simply because they want to speak with people face to face and wearing one prevents that.

Isn't the purpose of the Niqaab so that the person wearing it is usually given the choice whether to initiate a conversation?
Perhaps you might want to give a logical and reasonable explanation as to why you believe this should be the case.

No need, many people in the thread have posted why

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending