The Student Room Group

Stressed out and depressed after first day at a new job

Hi,

I just wanted to share my experience and problem that I have with the hope that I am not the only one that felt this way.
I was working for a small company in the IT department in my city for about 4 months where my boss was a friend of mine. The department was small and we got to know each other pretty good (I even made a very good friend there). Long story short I got a new opportunity at the biggest oil company in my country at the same position with a much better salary so I naturally accepted it. Today I had my first day at my job and as any first day they usually don't give you any work to do and they are only introducing you to the people who work there. The same thing happened at my previous job but at least I had someone there that I already knew. Here at my new job I have no one I know and I felt very bad. I felt so bad that I don't know how will I be able to manage going to work there everyday from 8 till 16 especially if they don't give me some work so that I can help my mind occupied. I haven't had anything to eat all day and I don't fell like eating anything I believe from the stress that I have endured today.
I would be very happy if you can share your first days at your new job and probably make me feel better knowing that I am not alone in this kind of trouble. Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I just wanted to share my experience and problem that I have with the hope that I am not the only one that felt this way.
I was working for a small company in the IT department in my city for about 4 months where my boss was a friend of mine. The department was small and we got to know each other pretty good (I even made a very good friend there). Long story short I got a new opportunity at the biggest oil company in my country at the same position with a much better salary so I naturally accepted it. Today I had my first day at my job and as any first day they usually don't give you any work to do and they are only introducing you to the people who work there. The same thing happened at my previous job but at least I had someone there that I already knew. Here at my new job I have no one I know and I felt very bad. I felt so bad that I don't know how will I be able to manage going to work there everyday from 8 till 16 especially if they don't give me some work so that I can help my mind occupied. I haven't had anything to eat all day and I don't fell like eating anything I believe from the stress that I have endured today.
I would be very happy if you can share your first days at your new job and probably make me feel better knowing that I am not alone in this kind of trouble. Thanks!

Hiya :smile: I'm sorry your first day left you feeling so bad :hugs: I don't think you're alone in feeling like that, starting a new job at a new company can be very stressful. Tomorrow, could you ask if there's any work you could do or offer to help someone with something? It'll give you a task to occupy you, and will also make you look good to your manager.

Try not to worry too much about making friends, everyone will have been in that position when they first stated :yep: I didn't know anyone at my work when I started 9 months ago, and now I get on really well with everyone on my department.

sorry if this hasn't been any help :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest