The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Extra curricular Language Lessons at Loughborough

Looking to go to get lessons in Italian when I go to Loughborough. How much are lessons and can someone link me to an up to date information page.

Thanks
Original post by fbrep2012
Looking to go to get lessons in Italian when I go to Loughborough. How much are lessons and can someone link me to an up to date information page.

Thanks

Hi fbre2012

Italian is available here and the cost is £125 for a 20 week course.

Some info here about the extra curricular languages available and courses start 6th October.

If your interested in also learning French, German, SPanish and Mandarin Chinese, these are available on most courses as a module choice and these free of charge as they are part of your course.

We also have self-study materials that are available to you free of charge, so worth having a look there too.

Info on the language centre can be found here.

Hope this helps
Vicky
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by Loughborough University
We also have self-study materials that are available to you free of charge, so worth having a look there too.

Info on the language centre can be found here.

I had a quick read of that and it seems interesting. Is there any kind of system set up to help you find native/comfortable speakers of a language?

For example, I speak German (did it at A Level). I'll probably carry it on in my own time as I don't feel like I need lessons any more, but I'd still like to be able to speak it to some people - is there any way I can get in touch/find native speakers at Loughborough? Doesn't matter if it's students or staff.

Also if I was to pick up another language using self-study resources, such as Finnish - what resources are there for me to use? And is there any way to find native Finnish speakers at the University?

Thanks
Original post by pizzanomics
I had a quick read of that and it seems interesting. Is there any kind of system set up to help you find native/comfortable speakers of a language?

For example, I speak German (did it at A Level). I'll probably carry it on in my own time as I don't feel like I need lessons any more, but I'd still like to be able to speak it to some people - is there any way I can get in touch/find native speakers at Loughborough? Doesn't matter if it's students or staff.

Also if I was to pick up another language using self-study resources, such as Finnish - what resources are there for me to use? And is there any way to find native Finnish speakers at the University?

Thanks

I really don't know the answer to these if I'm honest. Probably the best thing to do is to e-mail the language centre directly.
They'll be able to tell you about any groups there are that meet. I had a look on LSU but there are no societies for German or Finnish - doens't mean you can't start one when you're here though!
Also they'd be able to give you a much cleared idea of the study materials available. The do list some of what the have at the bottom of this page under self-study material, the audio, video and periodicals titles expand down to give you an idea

You can e-mail them at [email protected]

Hope this helps
Vicky
Reply 4
There is a polyglot society and plenty of international students. Finnish being specific and not widely spoken compared to the other languages offered, you'll be hard pressed to find. In terms of the languages on offer at the uni, there are plenty of resources in the library that I have found useful. I have took out Mandarin books which have been of a high quality.
Reply 5
I realise this is a bit of a late reply, but depending on your course you may be able to take a language module as one of your options. This would count towards your final grade and be covered by your tuition fees. There are also likely to be some Italian ERASMUS students around who you might be able to practice your Italian with.

I don't know anyone who uses the Italian extracurricular course specifically, but the people I know who do the German and Japanese ones seem to get a lot out of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending