The Student Room Group

College have axed A2 Computing.

Today was my first day back at college since our AS study-leave began. It wasn't a great day in any sense since all AS computing students including myself were informed that A2 computing was not going to be offered by the college. The college gave the reason that they could simply not find somebody skilled enough and reliable enough to teach the course.

This news has been detrimental to me as I have most certainly achieved an A grade in the subject at AS and I am looking at virtually 100%. I'm also only taking 3 AS levels inclusive which means I won't be left with enough to continue at the college.

I don't wish to drop computing since I've got an A and it would be an absolute waste to take any other subject. Really I want some advice on what my options are, and how the college are able to get away with this.

I'm currently looking at other colleges, but few offer computing. If you know any within the Kingston area, preferably offering Mathematics and Physics on exam boards, Computing; AQA, Mathematics; Edexcel, Physics; AQA. I have currently applied to another college and they're looking into how feasible a transfer would be under these special circumstances, but I need a solid plan which allows me to continue all 3 of my main subjects. Taking A-Levels privately is literally last-resort.
Reply 1
You can't do Comp4 project privately. AQA said no. So that means you can do A2 Computing privately I think.
Talk to someone at college. You might be able to self-teach computing and just take the exam at college, and carry on with your other subjects as normal. Any coursework might complicate things though
(edited 8 years ago)
They should offer you an intensive A level with full support as it's their fault. Look into choosing a subject you would like to complete in a year. Maths and Physics are good subjects so just pick subject like Economics and self study it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending