The Student Room Group

Which subject would you go for?

For example:

A student wants to go to Oxford University. They have two possible subjects to apply for, with one that they are much more likely to get in for and would enjoy, and another that they particularly want to apply to and would enjoy. Neither subject would restrict their career choices.

So, basically- would you go for the one that you were more likely to get in to study, 'because an Oxford degree is an Oxford degree'?

P.S. This isn't my current situation, but could be in future! :smile:
Reply 1
Depends what this anonymous person really wants!

Personally I value the subject more than the university, hence why I've ditched Oxbridge as an option for my studies. But some people just have their heart set on going to Oxford or Cambridge, and that person would probably value the subject that is more likely to get them in.

Other people (like me) would value their subject more, the one they want to do, so would prefer to aim for that, even if it means that they risk not getting into Oxford...
^ Exactly this, Subject trumps everything all the time.
Even though on paper you may be more likely to gain a place, when it comes to interviews I would be very surprised if the tutors didn't pick up that you weren't 100% passionate about the subject.

and also what's the point? You are only likely to get down and become overly stressed with the course.
Go for the subject you prefer - as others have said, admissions tutors will probably notice if you're not as passionate about the subject, so you may actually be less likely to get in even if on paper the admissions statistics suggest it's a less competitive course. Also, even if you did get in you'd then face three years of studying something you don't 100% love - and trust me, to survive an Oxbridge degree (or tbh a degree at other top universities) and come out with decent results you really need to be passionate about what you are studying.
Original post by uniqsummer
^ Exactly this, Subject trumps everything all the time.
Even though on paper you may be more likely to gain a place, when it comes to interviews I would be very surprised if the tutors didn't pick up that you weren't 100% passionate about the subject.

and also what's the point? You are only likely to get down and become overly stressed with the course.

I'm actually not really sold on the notion that the tutors only select people who are 100% passionate about the subject. For my subject generally (Law), the entire admissions process seems to be geared towards selecting people who have an aptitude for the subject, rather than selecting people with a strong passion for it. The interviews are usually centered around reading and understanding a prescribed case or statute, and applying it to hypothetical scenarios, and the LNAT seems to similarly measure comprehension and reasoning ability. Personally, I was not asked any questions that would have allowed me to demonstrate my personal interest in Law (eg why I wanted to study Law, which areas did I find interesting). I will admit that this might well be Law-specific though.

I also don't think that one needs to be 100% passionate about a subject to do well in it either. You don't have to love it (although that obviously helps), I think you just have to have some interest and not hate it. The more interest one has, the easier it is to motivate yourself though.
Reply 5
I had this choice to make a few years ago. I applied for the subject I wanted to do more, not the one I was better at, and was rejected. I applied the following year for the subject I was better at and was accepted. This was probably the right thing to do, as I've had more opportunities at Oxford (and probably a better time, too) than I would have elsewhere.

These suggestions that the tutors will reject you if you don't come across as "100% passionate" are pure hyperbole. Obviously you don't want to come across in your interviews as disengaged and bored by the subject but, like mishieru07 said, the tutors are looking for competent students who will do well at Oxford. You don't need to be passionate at Oxford to do well you probably won't come top of the year if you're not (or even if you are, of course) but you can still get a first and find enough things that you like to carry on with further study, say.
If you go for the subject that you're good at but enjoy slightly less, make sure that you do at least enjoy it well enough to stick with it for three years (or longer, since we don't know which subjects you're contemplating). You don't have to be obsessed with your subject or anything, but having to persevere with a course when you know you'd rather be doing something else would be pretty miserable.
If neither sub affects career, then go for the one you enjoy. But if you really want to get into a certain Uni and you know the criteria, then you'd be wise to fulfill it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending