The Student Room Group

Good Unis for English and French

Hi :smile:

I've started to look at unis for September 2016. So far, most of the open days I've booked are Russel group (Bristol, Warwick, Exeter ect) however I'm very aware that I need to look at some with lower offers too - I was wondering if anyone could suggest any good universities for either English and/ or French, preferably in southern/ central England, with slightly lower expectations?

Many thanks,
Emma
Hi, I would say Kent is a pretty good Uni for French and English- at least, there are many French speakers in Canterbury and at the University itself so it would be relatively easy to find native speakers to practise with!

Also, while Southampton is a Russell group uni, it is pretty fair with its entry requirements, and I've heard it's one of the best universities for languages!
(edited 8 years ago)
Okay, some of these are not 'southern' but worth looking at ofr a good Insurance choice.
300 UCAS points - Plymouth or Kingston
280 - York St john, Hertfordshire, Canterbury Christchurch
BBC - Chester
Oxford Brookes BBB

Make sure you read the course descriptions and don't just go for 'nice University'. In both subjects the slant of the course could make a huge difference - language and/or literature? culture and/or history? study abroad as part of course or paid for as an extra?

English is ALWAYS competitive and high demand. French less so. A single subject French course might have lower requirements (even at RG) because of this. Also look at courses like Linguistics, European Studies, Liberal Arts, or English with Year Abroad (Canada?).
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending