The Student Room Group

Diazepam for exams?

Hi, so recently my anxiety has massively increased and unfortunately manifests itself in my stomach, making me feel super nauseous and on a couple of occasions ive actually thrown up (not helped by a long-standing fear of vomiting). Im about to start my A2 exams on Thursday, and the doctor has given me diazepam to help calm me down, but ive done some research and basically all ive read is DO NOT TAKE FOR EXAMS.

2 years of CBT has done very little for me and I just want to get through these exams. Im definitely feeling the pressure and that is the main cause with uni offer etc, but my anxiety seems to reach my body before my brain (massively unhelpful, as no amount of rational thinking makes me feel any better). Just wondering if anyone has any experience with diazepam, especially for exams? I need top grades to get into Uni, but I dont know if the tablet will affect my performance more than nausea? Could I just take them before bed? Also its a 2mg dose if that makes any difference. I dont want to throw up, but I dont want to be falling asleep!
Reply 1
Original post by rebeccafrances
Hi, so recently my anxiety has massively increased and unfortunately manifests itself in my stomach, making me feel super nauseous and on a couple of occasions ive actually thrown up (not helped by a long-standing fear of vomiting). Im about to start my A2 exams on Thursday, and the doctor has given me diazepam to help calm me down, but ive done some research and basically all ive read is DO NOT TAKE FOR EXAMS.

2 years of CBT has done very little for me and I just want to get through these exams. Im definitely feeling the pressure and that is the main cause with uni offer etc, but my anxiety seems to reach my body before my brain (massively unhelpful, as no amount of rational thinking makes me feel any better). Just wondering if anyone has any experience with diazepam, especially for exams? I need top grades to get into Uni, but I dont know if the tablet will affect my performance more than nausea? Could I just take them before bed? Also its a 2mg dose if that makes any difference. I dont want to throw up, but I dont want to be falling asleep!

Bad idea, it will make it almost impossible for you to focus, it affects your memory as well! I never take diazepam on exam days. 2mg before bed is fine but go to sleep earlier than usual. Your doctor should have prescribed you propranolol - this affects your body's response to anxiety only not your mind so you could take it even before exam.
I agree with the guy above that propranolol would probably have been a better fit. It can help a lot with physical symptoms of anxiety such as nausea.

I take diazepam when I'm in a bit of a mental health crisis and it really calms me down. The first time I took it I was on a plane and slept the rest of the flight - definitely not what you want during an exam. :nah:
Everyone has a different view on taking pharmaceuticals, just make sure you do your research.

Personally I don't even take paracetemol or any pain killers if I had a headache for example, as I don't like the idea of it masking the pain instead of curing it. I view taking diazepam for anxiety in a similar way, it just masks the anxiety, there are probably underlying reasons why people feel anxious so there would be better ways to feel better in the long term. Obviously for short term relief it may work, but I wouldn't recommend as a long term solution.
Original post by Sabertooth
I agree with the guy above that propranolol would probably have been a better fit. It can help a lot with physical symptoms of anxiety such as nausea.

I take diazepam when I'm in a bit of a mental health crisis and it really calms me down. The first time I took it I was on a plane and slept the rest of the flight - definitely not what you want during an exam. :nah:

Original post by Ciel.
Bad idea, it will make it almost impossible for you to focus, it affects your memory as well! I never take diazepam on exam days. 2mg before bed is fine but go to sleep earlier than usual. Your doctor should have prescribed you propranolol - this affects your body's response to anxiety only not your mind so you could take it even before exam.

Thanks so much. Ive spoken to my doctor and she sounded slightly reluctant, but has prescribed me some propranolol. She was quite hesitant when I mentioned it, but maybe it was because she went on to say it can affect blood pressure. I just hope it doesnt make my nausea worse (ive seen it listed as a potential side effect)!
Reply 5
Original post by rebeccafrances
Thanks so much. Ive spoken to my doctor and she sounded slightly reluctant, but has prescribed me some propranolol. She was quite hesitant when I mentioned it, but maybe it was because she went on to say it can affect blood pressure. I just hope it doesnt make my nausea worse (ive seen it listed as a potential side effect)!

I don't know a single person who had any issues with it, you should be fine, propranolol is really safe and small dose won't affect your blood pressure too much : ) Diazepam has many more side effects. Good luck in the exam x
Original post by Ciel.
I don't know a single person who had any issues with it, you should be fine, propranolol is really safe and small dose won't affect your blood pressure too much : ) Diazepam has many more side effects. Good luck in the exam x

Yeah, I tried one last night and another this morning, no noticeably awful side effects. The dose I have is 10mg, so yeah I suspect that's why nothing drastic has happened yet. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest