The Student Room Group

Your opinion on my choice of A Levels?

Philosophy and Ethics
Sociology
English Literature
Law/Applied Law (which is a BTEC) - depends on the sixth form I choose as whether it'll be an A Level or BTEC.
*they're in rank order of how much I like the subjects*

Philosophy and Ethics I believe has no coursework, the same goes for Sociology. Applied Law is 100% coursework (which I'm 99% is what I'll be taking), and English Literature has some coursework. To me, this seems like a good balance (agree, disagree?).

I'm not a Maths/Science person; hence why I don't want to take those subjects!

I've choosen PandE for a strong interest and passion in the subject, as well as high achievment at GCSE level!

Sociology I've never done before, but it seems incredibly interesting.

English Literature I enjoy, and I'm an avid reader of a range of literature.

Law seemed really fascinating.

I have no idea what I want to do 'when I grow up'.

Advice on these subjects if you do them?
Are they a good mixture of subjects?
Any general advice for sixth form?

Thank you for any constructive comments you may leave.
(edited 8 years ago)
Subjects here are all good. Philosophy isn't done by a lot of people at my school, but it combines quite well with social science sociology. Law is very intensive, but i would advise taking it A-level as BTEC subjects are not weighted as much with universities, and Law A-level will look brilliant on your UCAS. With English lit there is a lot of reading involved in your own time (read the books), but it is not too difficult and highly weighted with universities. It will also vastly improve your ability to communicate in both verbal and written forms.

When you mention coursework, know that how much coursework a subject entails does not matter. If you start coursework when you are given it you will do well and complete it rather easily in a short amount of time securing up to 40% of your A-level. If you leave it till less than a month to go and have not finished a first draft it will pile up like an absolute nightmare and you will not have a good time.

Important thing now. When you pick A-levels do not pick subjects that you will not enjoy just because they seem highly academic or look better because they are difficult. If you haven't done the subject before then get a GCSE book and learn it as A-level is quite a step up from GCSE. Also get the A-level books and have a browse and make sure you like what you are reading.

In conclusion, you have quite a strong subject list which should be fun. Read up on your subjects beforehand and know what the subject entails. Also, don't worry about coursework just do it.
(edited 8 years ago)
You should do the subject YOU have an interest in. Honestly, when I chose my A levels last year I had no idea what I wanted to do at university. I ended up choosing Maths, ICT, Chemistry and Psychology (dropped Chemistry after AS), and when I went to interviews for my university course, they questioned why I chose such random subjects. I explained to them how I had an interest in them, and they all developed different skills needed (in more detail than on here c: ). Don't let the variety of subjects put you off. There is a lot of work in A level and you should do what you enjoy. Don't suffer for two years c:
Reply 3
Original post by Sarah1999
Philosophy and Ethics
Sociology
English Literature
Law/Applied Law (which is a BTEC) - depends on the sixth form I choose as whether it'll be an A Level or BTEC.
*they're in rank order of how much I like the subjects*

Philosophy and Ethics I believe has no coursework, the same goes for Sociology. Applied Law is 100% coursework (which I'm 99% is what I'll be taking), and English Literature has some coursework. To me, this seems like a good balance (agree, disagree?).

I'm not a Maths/Science person; hence why I don't want to take those subjects!

I've choosen PandE for a strong interest and passion in the subject, as well as high achievment at GCSE level!

Sociology I've never done before, but it seems incredibly interesting.

English Literature I enjoy, and I'm an avid reader of a range of literature.

Law seemed really fascinating.

I have no idea what I want to do 'when I grow up'.

Advice on these subjects if you do them?
Are they a good mixture of subjects?
Any general advice for sixth form?

Thank you for any constructive comments you may leave.

Sarah

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would strongly suggest you look at the list of facilitating subjects published by the russel group. They are A levels that both universities and employers consider to be the most useful, it is good to aim for 2-3 of those.
English is definitely one of those and although PandE isn't i don't think if you really enjoy it i don't think there's much wrong with taking it. I'd be a little wary of sociology and Law maybe only pick 1 new subject that you haven't done before as i know a lot of people who really didn't like the 'new' subject they chose at a level or slightly misunderstood what it involved.
Law as an A level is not respected widely at all. Have you considered a more transferable A level such as geography (it's quite easy and fairly interesting) or history which would fit nicely with you other subjects?
If you're good at a language that would also work well, or a lot of people who do sociology say psychology is a good mix although again not the most well respected of subjects.
I wouldn't worry too much about the coursework/exam situation.
Reply 4
Thank you for taking your time commenting, I really appreciate it.

I thought PandE and Sociology went well together, so I'm glad you think so too.

I didn't know which subject to choose for my 4th one, and Law was the one that was of the greatest interest to me. If I had the choice I would do it at A Level instead of BTEC, but the sixth form I prefer only offers it as a BTEC. Right now, I don't plan on going to university.

Thank you for your advice regarding coursework, picking subjects, and looking through subject books - very helpful.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you for your helpful comment; it's nice getting a reply from someone who has personal experience.
(edited 8 years ago)
philosophy and ethics is great. I really enjoy it. a lot of writing though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
all of your choices are essay based subjects. just make sure you like writing essays and can write them well. also a lot of people complain about English lit so make sure you're confident that you like it as you have to read ALOT of boring books lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
English literature is meant to be very demanding and a levels in general are a massive step up so if you're struggling in the first few weeks you should still be able to change options while it isn't too late. Personally, I would choose psychology over applied law as 100% coursework doesn't go down well if you want to apply to competitive universities but just choose what is best for you :smile:
Reply 9
I've looked at the list of facilitating subjects published by the Russel Group - very helpful, thank you.

I'm considering doing Geography instead of Law, as like you said two new subjects might not turn out as I'd expect.

I originally planned on doing Psychology, but it seemed like it was too science focused for me. Thus, Sociology is a lot more suitable and more interesting for me!

Thanks again, your post, and the few others have really helped me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
I'm glad you like Philosophy and Ethics. People have mentioned before that my choices are essay based subjects. I hope I can cope with that, but I don't mind writing! I really enjoy reading so hopefully, I can plod through the texts!

Thanks for your advice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it. I mentioned in a previous post why Psychology isn't for me, and I'm not planning on going to University (although I know I may change my mind).
(edited 8 years ago)
Ultimately if they're subjects that you'll find fulfilling and interesting and will set you up for the career YOU want to persue, then you're all set :smile:
Reply 13
Thank you :-).
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest