The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
TommehR
I was agreeing with you and was showing evidence that Parliamentary Sovereignty wasn't created by the Bill of Rights.

I was reinforcing your point :biggrin:
Reply 41
Ethereal
However, that does not in any way change the fact that the Crown is actually supreme over parliament and has the technical ability to get rid of parliament, revoke or disapply laws and to decree its own.

Can dissolve Parliament yes, but cannot revoke or disapply laws or create its own. Or so said Dicey anyway
Reply 42
ONBH
Can dissolve Parliament yes, but cannot revoke or disapply laws or create its own. Or so said Dicey anyway

Dicey was a theorist, and his theory of parliamentary soverignty has been consistently undermined anyway.

All this debate of course ignores the fact English law isn't sovereign in Yorkshire anyway :p:
Reply 43
Is any law recognised in Yorkshire or is life a perpetual marshal state?
I thought you liked Dicey? He avidly denies the possibility of Marshal Law in England :wink:.
So much for absolute parliamentary sovereignty when the executive branch can assume a quasi role of monarch by ruling through the cabinet (e.g Good Old Maggie)
Reply 46
Technically, Yorkshire has a dualist legal system. The danelaw was never disestablished when the two countries merged. We just don't use it any more, but it does retain primacy over English law. For example, in the 1970s the border commision wanted to alter the county bounderies. However, it was discovered that English law doesn't have that power as the bounderies were established under the Danelaw. The "counties" shown on maps of Yorkshire now are actually called administrative districts. The correct county boundary is the old one, and the correct sub-divisions are still the city of York and the three ridings.
Yes and, although not strictly related, a Yorkshire man may legally shoot a Scottish man on the top of York Castle between certain hours on a Sunday or something. The law has never been repealed. Shooting is a step to far but could be handy even my recent falling out with a couple of Scottish people. York and Yorkshire have a multitude of werid and wonderful rules (yey :wink: )

Latest

Trending

Trending