The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Student finance, am i not eligible for a loan?

I started courses in 2010 and have been doing it part time, and inconsistently. I will finish my degree in 2017 in Oct.

However i can't afford the last two courses of my degree (£1600 total cost)...

Was about to apply for a loan with student finance but then i read on the guidance notes that they don't give out loans if the course takes twice the amount of time than it would if doing it full-time (3 years) so... i'm one year out? Does this mean i can't get any loan?! Not even for the remaining 1 year of the 6 years? Pretty irritated right now :frown:

Help please!
Is there no way you can contact Student Finance and discuss this with them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by lolhai
I started courses in 2010 and have been doing it part time, and inconsistently. I will finish my degree in 2017 in Oct.

However i can't afford the last two courses of my degree (£1600 total cost)...

Was about to apply for a loan with student finance but then i read on the guidance notes that they don't give out loans if the course takes twice the amount of time than it would if doing it full-time (3 years) so... i'm one year out? Does this mean i can't get any loan?! Not even for the remaining 1 year of the 6 years? Pretty irritated right now :frown:

Help please!

Go into the part time section, they'll fund you for up to 16 years as long as you aren't studying for a qualification equal to or lower than one you've already attained.
Reply 3
Original post by SuperCat007
Go into the part time section, they'll fund you for up to 16 years as long as you aren't studying for a qualification equal to or lower than one you've already attained.

Really? But it says in the part time application notes that"You must be planning to complete your course in nomore than twice the time it would take you to finish it on a full-time basis. "(which is 6 years)
Original post by lolhai
Really? But it says in the part time application notes that"You must be planning to complete your course in nomore than twice the time it would take you to finish it on a full-time basis. "(which is 6 years)

Well I also started in 2010 and have been told it is fine to continue my funding application, I'm waiting for approval though. But when applying you can apply for up to 16 years so it'll be fine. Have you applied for funding? That's the only real way you're going to find out.
Reply 5
Well I also started in 2010 and have been told it is fine to continue my funding application, I'm waiting for approval though. But when applying you can apply for up to 16 years so it'll be fine. Have you applied for funding? That's the only real way you're going to find out.

Oh. Are you doing a degree? And is this your 1st time applying for a student loan?

Maybe i ought to phone them up... I was about to fill out the forms and then i saw about 'course length' and thought i wasn't eligible.
Original post by lolhai
Oh. Are you doing a degree? And is this your 1st time applying for a student loan?

Maybe i ought to phone them up... I was about to fill out the forms and then i saw about 'course length' and thought i wasn't eligible.

Just apply, the telephone advisers are useless. Only the assessors will know. But you can study at 25% rate which means it would take 12 years to complete.
Reply 7
Just apply, the telephone advisers are useless. Only the assessors will know. But you can study at 25% rate which means it would take 12 years to complete.

Okay thanks
Iam going to start "Language Studies" with the OU in October 2015. I want to finish the course as fast as possible. From this background I spend a lot time to look for a student credit. (..) I have already spoken with the SFE and the OU about that topic.

First it is easy to get an advicer at the SFE. The OU is registrated at the Government as a "distance learning University" what also means "part time. If you want to apply at the at the SFE you have to apply the PART TIME student credit also if you want to build up at the OU on full time. It doesn`t matter!

I have applied for a student credit. It neads about 6 weeks until you get an answer. If you sent them all the papers. (..) After I applied it was me told that I won`t get a credit, because I won`t live in the UK during the studies.

My situation is close to yours! .. Don`t loose the courage, the power and the will to manage it.

WE WILL WIN :wink:

all the best

Daniela
Original post by danielamorath
Iam going to start "Language Studies" with the OU in October 2015. I want to finish the course as fast as possible. From this background I spend a lot time to look for a student credit. (..) I have already spoken with the SFE and the OU about that topic.

First it is easy to get an advicer at the SFE. The OU is registrated at the Government as a "distance learning University" what also means "part time. If you want to apply at the at the SFE you have to apply the PART TIME student credit also if you want to build up at the OU on full time. It doesn`t matter!

I have applied for a student credit. It neads about 6 weeks until you get an answer. If you sent them all the papers. (..) After I applied it was me told that I won`t get a credit, because I won`t live in the UK during the studies.

My situation is close to yours! .. Don`t loose the courage, the power and the will to manage it.

WE WILL WIN :wink:

all the best

Daniela

The thing is that you can't get a loan if your permanent address is outside of the UK during your studies. So you can't win that one unless you've been a permanent resident in the UK for 3 years prior to starting (and will be for the duration of your course). Unless it's some huge mistake by SFE (which wouldn't shock me) and I've misunderstood what you've written...

Quick Reply

Latest