The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sykro
Now to dig up some rare earth minerals, pollute the environment and create a set of modern day child slaves with no health or safety equipment, commended to a life of poverty to satisfy first world desires :gah:

Spoiler

You're absolutely right, which is why I'm sure whatever phone/tablet/computer you typed this post on was assembled by, and made entirely of parts from, sources other than manufacturing plants in Asia :yy:

And thanks :h:

Original post by Young Sinatra
Damn I thought the OP One does too

Nope, the back comes off but the battery is also fixed.
Why is the sony z2 not in the high quality,high value smartphones? :frown: there are minor differences between it and the z3
oh you beast! perfect timing as im chucking the lumia away 6 month ahead of 24 month contract as its absolute ****! the phone i had before this was the a bb bold touch and i hated the batt life. whats a phone that isnt too big, good battery life, touch screen i guess, and wouldnt break ~20 p/m with solid minutes?
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Well you know I like my photography! And most of the time I have my DSLR if I know I'm gonna want photos, but still sometimes need phone camera!

Very true! I would definitely recommend giving the S6 a look, I've ranted about how much I dislike Samsung here for years now but I've been very impressed with the S6 and S6 Edge :yep:

Original post by ProNoob
Why is the sony z2 not in the high quality,high value smartphones? :frown: there are minor differences between it and the z3

It's not being made anymore, and from what I can tell the majority of places left selling it are either third party non-affiliated sellers on Amazon all listing it for £300+ or grey market websites, and I tried to keep suggestions limited to easily accessible products from recognisable sellers. I also had to try and reign myself in when it came to content (even as it is, this guide ended up with a longer word count than a large percentage of my university essays :ahee:), I could probably have added an extra few phones to each category but I thought it was better to keep it as concise as possible and concentrate on the very best 3-4 phones in each :yep:
Original post by welcometoib
oh you beast! perfect timing as im chucking the lumia away 6 month ahead of 24 month contract as its absolute ****! the phone i had before this was the a bb bold touch and i hated the batt life. whats a phone that isnt too big, good battery life, touch screen i guess, and wouldnt break ~20 p/m with solid minutes?

Three currently have the Xperia Z3 Compact with unlimited texts, 1GB data and 300 minutes for £21 p/m and a £29 upfront cost, which could be pretty ideal for you as the Z3 Compact is a good chunk smaller than the majority of premium Android phones and is known for its excellent battery life :yy:

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Sony/Xperia_Z3_Compact?featuretab=Design&priceplan=PAY_MONTHLY&memory=16&colour=White
Yeah I reckon my loyalty to HTC and dislike of feel of previous Galaxy S's may have biased me.
Original post by James A

Spoiler

I'm thinking of getting an S6 for my upgrade and I know that the battery life on the samsung is better which is a massive bonus for me, but the icons on the samsung seem old and not modern like the HTC icons :/

Have you looked into Nova Launcher? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&hl=en_GB

I would really give that a go as you can change the icons and theming to suit your preferences, I have Refocus Icon pack but you can download so many more (even the HTC ones I believe)
Original post by uniqsummer
Have you looked into Nova Launcher? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&hl=en_GB

I would really give that a go as you can change the icons and theming to suit your preferences, I have Refocus Icon pack but you can download so many more (even the HTC ones I believe)

Yeah I've heard of it but will have another detailed look at it!

It's the icons that the HTC has that makes it look beautiful so it would be awesome to get something near or close looking to it!
Reply 28
That's true, they are from Asia (one part of Africa). I'm just making people aware of it, so at least we as consumers can suggest to companies with their huge profits to try to reinvest some of it back into a more ethical supply chain.
Reply 29
Good review for the experienced and unexperienced.
Can't beat the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, brilliant phone. Compact, an absolute powerhouse, and good value for money.

I'd avoid the Windows phones, I switched from a Lumia to the Sony and haven't looked back since. Having said that, I am also starting to hate Windows completely. Windows 8 is the worst operating system on the planet, and it seems Windows 10 is on the same path.
I still can't decide between S6 and M9 - I do love my HTC One, but hate the crappy camera.

s6 any day of the week, m9 is IMO a downgrade from the m8
Original post by hukdealz
s6 any day of the week, m9 is IMO a downgrade from the m8

To say it's a downgrade I think is laughable - it's a clear improvement.
To say it's a downgrade I think is laughable - it's a clear improvement.

in what way?
power button placement is worse
S810 SoC is worse due to over heating
it's thicker
battery life is worse
it's not as nice to hold in the hand
camera is a downgrade in many aspects- very poor low light performance and digital image stabilisation/auto focus/autoexposure is worse
display is worse (although it's the same panel, the M9 has a horrible blueish tint)

The only way I can imagine that it's an upgrade is maybe aesthetics and Sense 7, although sense 7 will be coming to M8 soon.

This is all backed up by the sales figures.

Given the M8 is half the price of the M9, you'd be bonkers to go for the M9!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sykro
Now to dig up some rare earth minerals, pollute the environment and create a set of modern day child slaves with no health or safety equipment, commended to a life of poverty to satisfy first world desires :gah:

Spoiler

here you go
(edited 8 years ago)
Honestly, I know it may not be a brand new phone but the Samsung Galaxy S4 is amazing. Does everything I want it to, great camera, replaceable battery, ability to add an SD card etc. etc. Seen as though the S6 has came out, the S5 may be worth a buy as well! I had an iPhone 5S and honestly it was awful.
and the note 4, I have four batteries for trips up the mountain!
Yeah I reckon my loyalty to HTC and dislike of feel of previous Galaxy S's may have biased me.

The new Note Edge shows up under £500 occasionally on the currys ebay outlet, saw it at £460....note 4's open box are under £400.
Original post by Iqbal007
The new Note Edge shows up under £500 occasionally on the currys ebay outlet, saw it at £460....note 4's open box are under £400.

Yeah but I don't want a Note?
Yeah but I don't want a Note?

M9? Seen it appear for under £500 as well, but its gone now I think....m8's show up under £300 regularly.

Latest