The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

out of interest what phone do you have?
Original post by longsightdon
@Gofre out of interest what phone do you have?

I use a OnePlus One, although my phone contract finishes next month so I'm deciding between making the move over to a 2015 flagship or save cash and go SIM-only :yep:
I've just discovered that Sony actually have announced a new flagship phone for Western markets, they very quietly announced the Xperia Z3+ late last month and preorders began today. I'll be waiting for reviews and some first-hand time myself before adding it to the guide, but it's looking to be a solid entry. Same high quality screen (although that means it's still only 1080p), same excellent camera (although it's been usurped by Samsung on the quality front for Android phones) and still waterproof, minus the fiddly port covers! It's also slimmer, but that required reducing the size of the battery which may put pressure on the Z3's killer feature, it's insane battery life. Hopefully reviews will be positive and it can be added to the flagship portion of this guide!
I honestly cannot decide for the life of me between a Galaxy 6 or an Iphone 6 when i get back to the UK in September.
@Gofre whats the cheapest flagship phone out there which will last me about 3 years?

how can i persuade my dad to get me a new phone still stuck on a samsung galaxy young...i have money saved up but my mum wants me to save for uni...:frown:
Original post by scrawlx101
@Gofre whats the cheapest flagship phone out there which will last me about 3 years?

how can i persuade my dad to get me a new phone still stuck on a samsung galaxy young...i have money saved up but my mum wants me to save for uni...:frown:

Any of the handsets in the "High Quality, High Value" category will be plenty suitable for a few years of use providing you don't want to stay on the absolute bleeding edge of performance and features for the entire time. However they're still really capable handsets and will happily deal with most smartphone tasks through that span of time :yep: The cheapest of that bunch is the OnePlus One 16GB, which is currently £179 from OnePlus' website and an excellent deal, if you don't mind waiting for it to come back in stock. Otherwise the 64GB model is currently available and also ridiculously cheap for £219. The Moto X is also currently on sale for £229, and that's from the Moto Maker site so you customise the design exactly how you like. The LG G3 is only a couple of quid more expensive too.

https://oneplus.net/uk/one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-G3-UK-SIM-Free-Smartphone/dp/B00KMZ07J2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435261511&sr=8-1&transaction=device_only&keywords=lg+g3
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-G3-UK-SIM-Free-Smartphone/dp/B00KMZ07J2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435261511&sr=8-1&transaction=device_only&keywords=lg+g3
@Gofre

Thank you for this great article.

I'm planning to buy a Samsung S6 (fist time I'm buying a flagship), SIM free. I was considering waiting until September to by it, since I assumed there will be a price drop when the iphone7/6s comes out.

However, I realised that I could get a LOT of use out of it this summer holiday. Are the price drops usually significant (e.g saving £50+)? Should I wait?

Thanks again!
looking for a new phone, not keen on a samsung or xperia or apple.

Thinking about moto x 2nd gen, anything similar or better?

Thanks
Original post by Ilovemaths96
looking for a new phone, not keen on a samsung or xperia or apple.

Thinking about moto x 2nd gen, anything similar or better?

Thanks

The X2, OnePlus One and LG G3 all come in between £220 and £230 at the moment and have very similar internal specs, there's a breakdown of the key differences in the guide :yy:
awesoem thanks
Ooh there's a new phone on the block which may take my top recommendation for best budget phones. The Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 packs an insane spec sheet into its £125 price tag and early reviews are very promising, if it continues to get a positive reception and I get a chance to try it myself it may very well dethrone the Moto G.
How has your OnePlus One lasted you? I'm looking into buying the OnePlus 2, but I presume it would take me at least a few months to get an invite. I'm ever so tempted to just go ahead and buy the 64gb OnePlus One...
Original post by lilacunicorn
How has your OnePlus One lasted you? I'm looking into buying the OnePlus 2, but I presume it would take me at least a few months to get an invite. I'm ever so tempted to just go ahead and buy the 64gb OnePlus One...

There's no more invite system, you can just buy it whenever they have stock now :yep:

It's lasted me fine, the only issues I've had are bugs when they've updated to new versions of Android, which have all been ironed out fairly quickly so I've got nothing to complain about at the moment.
I may as well wait for the OnePlus 2 which will have an invite system annoyingly enough :frown: When did you purchase your OnePlus One?
I may as well wait for the OnePlus 2 which will have an invite system annoyingly enough :frown: When did you purchase your OnePlus One?

Ah sorry, I thought you were still referring to the OPO :ahee:

July last year :smile:
Aah, I see. How did you get an invite?
Aah, I see. How did you get an invite?

I got into an invite circle very early, as soon as one person in the group got an invite he'd share their spare one with the next person in the group. I think I was second or third :holmes:
That's a good idea, I probably should think about posting a thread on the OnePlus forums site and create a circle. How far was did you get it from the release date? If I can't manage to grab hold of it by late August/early September, I'll probably just get a S6 or the OPPO R7.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey what do you think of htc desire 820?
Original post by Ilovemaths96
Hey what do you think of htc desire 820?

Largely inferior to the similarly priced 16GB OnePlus One, if the going rate is still in the £180-£200 range.

Latest

Trending

Trending