The Student Room Group

WJEC Media Studies A2 Coursework Thread!

Not sure how many people on here are actually doing WJEC Media Studies but I hope this is helpful to some. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I myself am struggling a bit with the concept of the research investigation where you have to choose 'Genre', 'Narrative' and 'Representation' - anyone have a definition of Genre and Narrative in terms of the pre-planning? Examples would be helpful!
Reply 2
Okay so basically I am doing research into rap narrative any tips or help? Would very much be appreciated
Hey, I've just finished this. I did mine on the representation of female superheroes in Marvel comics and got an A, so naturally will be less help on others but if you choose representation I can try and help out!

Based on what you have to learn for the exam though, if you're doing narrative you might want to try and focus on theories (Todorov/Propp/Levi Strauss), because not only will you get familiar with them for the exam, it'll also be easy to do your production if you can find a recurring narrative theory.
Reply 4
Thanks like what kind of research do I have too do? can i see your copy pleasee
Original post by Ro01ro
Thanks like what kind of research do I have too do? can i see your copy pleasee

Firstly, you need a title before anything I give you is useful.
I'm assuming you're doing rap music videos? Typically you want to find four-five case studies. They can either all argue for a point, or go against it. I did four, all of which argued my point.

So, my title was "The representation of female superheroes in Marvel comics is worse than that of their male equivalents, or counterparts." I studied four comparisons - Miss America/Patriot, Kate Bishop/Clint Barton, Carol Danvers/Mar-Vell, and Black Widow/The Winter Soldier. For each, I just read all their comics and was able to make specific points about how the female representation was worse (so Clint Barton often wears a suit that covers most of his body, whilst Kate Bishop wears a suit with multiple cut outs).

The main research you'll need to do is about audience, although the kind of research you need to do depends on the question you eventually come up with. I ended up making the point that female representation had started to get better, and this was because of more female writers and readers, so I simply found figures to back this up.

What kind of title ideas do you have at the moment? If there are any videos you're particularly interested in studying this may help your case.
I'm doing- How (and why) is narrative used in crime drama posters?
My teacher has told me to find things from text books etc about what scholars say on the subject (as an early stage of the research). I have no clue what to look for or what books to look in.

Can someone please point me in the right direction
tell me what to find out
let me know any book titles or scholars (asides from the obvious ones)

Reply 7
Original post by loperdoper
Firstly, you need a title before anything I give you is useful.
I'm assuming you're doing rap music videos? Typically you want to find four-five case studies. They can either all argue for a point, or go against it. I did four, all of which argued my point.

So, my title was "The representation of female superheroes in Marvel comics is worse than that of their male equivalents, or counterparts." I studied four comparisons - Miss America/Patriot, Kate Bishop/Clint Barton, Carol Danvers/Mar-Vell, and Black Widow/The Winter Soldier. For each, I just read all their comics and was able to make specific points about how the female representation was worse (so Clint Barton often wears a suit that covers most of his body, whilst Kate Bishop wears a suit with multiple cut outs).

The main research you'll need to do is about audience, although the kind of research you need to do depends on the question you eventually come up with. I ended up making the point that female representation had started to get better, and this was because of more female writers and readers, so I simply found figures to back this up.

What kind of title ideas do you have at the moment? If there are any videos you're particularly interested in studying this may help your case.

Hey sorry just only saw this yeah i've devised a title and i've been looking mainly at Eminem, Drake and Lil wayne and that's it and research something's about narrative but it is so difficult to find anything out there :frown:
Original post by Ro01ro
Hey sorry just only saw this yeah i've devised a title and i've been looking mainly at Eminem, Drake and Lil wayne and that's it and research something's about narrative but it is so difficult to find anything out there :frown:

Have you taken a look at narrative theories? The Hero's Journey, Propp's seven characters, Todorov's equilibrium, and Levi-Strauss' Binary Opposition could all potentially be found in music videos. If you can find a few that match these theories, then there'll be books written about them that you could reference to (In particular the Media Student's Book. 5th Edition is quite expensive but the 4th Edition is still reasonably relevant and can be picked up quite cheaply)

I'm not too familiar with rap videos, but have any done a series of linking videos which tell an overall story (you can't use this direct example because it's pop music, but the Electra Heart videos are a good example)? Narrative would be more clearly shown over a series of videos if you can find them.
Reply 9
Original post by loperdoper
Have you taken a look at narrative theories? The Hero's Journey, Propp's seven characters, Todorov's equilibrium, and Levi-Strauss' Binary Opposition could all potentially be found in music videos. If you can find a few that match these theories, then there'll be books written about them that you could reference to (In particular the Media Student's Book. 5th Edition is quite expensive but the 4th Edition is still reasonably relevant and can be picked up quite cheaply)

I'm not too familiar with rap videos, but have any done a series of linking videos which tell an overall story (you can't use this direct example because it's pop music, but the Electra Heart videos are a good example)? Narrative would be more clearly shown over a series of videos if you can find them.

Thanks for your help yeah i'm making a questionnaire at the moment but have no idea what questions to put either :frown:
Original post by Ro01ro
Thanks for your help yeah i'm making a questionnaire at the moment but have no idea what questions to put either :frown:

I never bothered with a questionnaire or anything like that, I instead elected to find other people's data.
Reply 11
ohh okay yeah i'm required to get 10 pieces of research for Tuesday and I have only found 5
Original post by Dhanihk
I myself am struggling a bit with the concept of the research investigation where you have to choose 'Genre', 'Narrative' and 'Representation' - anyone have a definition of Genre and Narrative in terms of the pre-planning? Examples would be helpful!

Hey there,

Narrative - the telling of a story, involves the transformation of characters e.g. Todorov's linear narrative. EXAMPLE: You could research the narrative structure of social realist films - depending on your production e.g. American History X (Ed Norton) includes flashbacks however the narrative is quite straight forward.

Genre - what categorises a text e.g. in the film industry 'horror' or 'comedy' may be used. A hybrid genie are two or more genres merged together. EXAMPLE: what are the conventions of a comedy genre?

Hope this helps :smile:
I don't exactly have any ideas for my coursework.

Last year I did a CD cover for a unisex band - included lyrics material and also promotional poster. I received good marks for the production overall. But this year I cannot focus on the music industry :frown: - I wanted to make a music video but I guess that's out of the picture now.

So I wanted to do something different and not concentrate on anything that has something to do with the Arts (like dance movies for example).

We are not officially starting the project till September now but I would like to get a head start during the summer so I am free of stress when we go back to school

I was thinking of the beginning of a crime drama or a trailer for a thriller/mystery film. But I am blank with ideas. I would appreciate it, if anyone who is familiar with these genres could just help me out with a few ideas. Just simple ideas will do :smile: thanks
Reply 14
I'm doing representation of gender in rap music videos and my intro is like this so far any one can you please make it better for me :smile:

Representationcan be defined in a simple way to the audience as it is “the portrayal ofsomeone or something in a particular way”. Link 1 https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=representation&rls=com.microsoft:en-GB&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&safe=active&gfe_rd=cr&ei=hCyVVfGONaGy7Ab7-4C4BQ&gws_rd=ssl . In this essay I am mainlyfocusing on the representation of gender in rap music videos.
Reply 15
I think I've decided to look at the representation of men in indie music videos - so I'd make an indie music video for my product. There seems to be a lot more information about the representation of women in music, but I am managing to find some stuff.

How's everyone else doing?
Original post by Dhanihk
I think I've decided to look at the representation of men in indie music videos - so I'd make an indie music video for my product. There seems to be a lot more information about the representation of women in music, but I am managing to find some stuff.

How's everyone else doing?

Hey

Well my teacher put us into groups as we have to work in groups this year for some reason and I think it's better as we have bounced ideas off of each other for this crime thriller trailer. Should be exciting! And also studying genre conventions of crime drama in Korea, Britain and Japan (cultural diversity is a good one).

That's a great idea - good luck with the music video, sounds like awesome fun! People in my group are doing representation of teenagers - quite an easy topic really.
Reply 17
Original post by EXOMENDES 101
Hey

Well my teacher put us into groups as we have to work in groups this year for some reason and I think it's better as we have bounced ideas off of each other for this crime thriller trailer. Should be exciting! And also studying genre conventions of crime drama in Korea, Britain and Japan (cultural diversity is a good one).

That's a great idea - good luck with the music video, sounds like awesome fun! People in my group are doing representation of teenagers - quite an easy topic really.

Ah, that's strange how you have to work in groups! At least you're finding it good - I generally like working by myself so I'm not sure I'd enjoy that as much.

Representation of teenagers should be really easy to find research on, there must be loads of information out there. I'd also imagine it's quite handy for getting actors as well - I'm struggling a little as I have to find adult male actors, and I don't think my friends could pass as 25+ haha.

Ooh, a crime drama trailer sounds really exciting! I hope it goes well. Have you started on your research essay yet?
Well I love working by myself too but this has given me the chance to work with people I don't usually talk to. So good fun.

Oh right - well I know this may be a waste of time but maybe you could hold auditions around your area? Or ask any drama students in your school? Good luck!!

Original post by Dhanihk
Ah, that's strange how you have to work in groups! At least you're finding it good - I generally like working by myself so I'm not sure I'd enjoy that as much.

Representation of teenagers should be really easy to find research on, there must be loads of information out there. I'd also imagine it's quite handy for getting actors as well - I'm struggling a little as I have to find adult male actors, and I don't think my friends could pass as 25+ haha.

Ooh, a crime drama trailer sounds really exciting! I hope it goes well. Have you started on your research essay yet?
Reply 19
Original post by EXOMENDES 101
Well I love working by myself too but this has given me the chance to work with people I don't usually talk to. So good fun.

Oh right - well I know this may be a waste of time but maybe you could hold auditions around your area? Or ask any drama students in your school? Good luck!!

I was thinking of auditions but I really wouldn't know where to start! I do have family members I could ask so I'll try them first and see. Good luck with yours, too!

Quick Reply