The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I had an interview on Friday the 15th of Dec and got my offer on the 22nd of Dec. It's my first choice too. I can't wait for September.
Reply 2
I had an interview the day after you and still haven't heard a thing so still hoping!!!
Reply 3
well i was wondering wat universites accept students who resit modules? also my friend wants to no wat universities need successful applicants to fill out criminal record form for veterinary? hope sum1 can reply, thanks
Reply 4
if you research it you should find out bout the criminal records. It will say on the uni web site if they require it!

the only unis that do vet in scotland are Edinburgh and Glasgow, and although they say they dont accept resitters, there is always exceptions to the rule! i dnt have the minimum grade, but i got interviews because my SE teacher wrote about my mitigating circumstances in my reference. they also say EVERYONE MUST HAVE an A in higher chemistry, but i know alot of ppl who got in with a B. they also say the you must b interviewed to get in, but i know graduates who got unconditionals without interview.

i think they write these things to weed out the ppl who arent determined enough to try, if your gunna try against all the odds then youre obviously very commited to the career.

if you are good enough, have enough work experience and can come up with a decent reason for why your resitting, it shouldnt b a problem.
Reply 5
you can resit modules, as long as its within your two years of doing A level/highers but its when you take 3 years that they start to make rules about resitting
Good luck to you two waiting for replies from your interviews! Hope you get offers, Glasgow Vet School is the one and only COOL vet school!
Reply 7
well just finisehed my as module 1's today!i do chem, bio nd physics and business studies!im lukn 2 do veterinary nxt yr and was wonderin if wat sort of grades unis r lukn for at as level or wud they b more concerned wit predicted grades? as im 4rm northern ireland it wud suit me better 2 go 2 ucd rather than 2 england or scotland and i was wondering if ne1 nos the selection process at ucd and do they hav the same offer and interview system as the uk unis? hope sum1 can reply, cheers! gud luck to all those who hav applied to veterinary dis yr hope us get a place!!
Reply 8
no idea about ucd sorry, but you could try their website!!
i think most unis look at predicted grades over AS grades, although obviously if your AS grades are like Ds and Es they would take that into consideration lol
i had ABBC at AS and predicted grades of AAA and got 4 interviews last year so i'd say it was my predicted grades over my AS ones lol
Reply 9
I agree with hailz....I had as grades of ABBC (same how strange!!) and predicted AAA for a2. Dont forget work expereince tho and things that will show your a fun person and that school isnt all you do! grades arent everything! good luck! x x
do u think unis would read much into the fact that your da is a vet? id say it wudnt help that much altho its real easy to get wrk exp which is vry handy!!hopefully unis will see it as an advantage!!::biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 11
I have applied to UCD and their admissions system is completely different/slightly bizarre! to uk uni's.
They do not interview and you do not have to write a personal statement or have any work experience...it is completely done on A-level / Irish Leaving Certificate results.
On the application form, all you write is your contact/personal details, the course(s) you want to apply for in order of preference (only one if you only apply for vet med) and the A-levels / Leaving Exams you are taking with details so they can collect the results in the summer. They don't even know your AS grades!
They give the places to the 120 (??) top scorers according to a points system and as a result, you do not find out if you have got in until results come out in the summer.
As I said before, it is a slightly odd admissions system and I applied as a back up...I would not advise only applying there as it is totally dependent on you achieving the top grades at A-level.
Sorry I have rambled on for a bit.....I hope this is helpful. All I can say is that UCD vet school was really modern and seemed a very friendly place...definitely worth a visit.
xxxxx
cheers for that info on ucd!r u 4rm ireland by the way? that is a completely wierd selection procedure! i think the points requirements r 550 points where an A at A level is 150 points and a B is 130 points! theoretically 2 A's and 2 B's wud get u in but realistically i feel you would need at least 3 A's and a B to get in!wat u think? wat A levels u doing?
Reply 13
I live in England but I'm Irish and all my family are over there. I'm doing maths, chem, physics and bio and when I went and talked to the 'admissions tutor' (not sure what he calls himself) he said that if I got 4 A's at A-level then I would definitely get in because that would mean I would get 600 points when it is much much harder to get with that the Irish Leaving Cert. With AAAB, you would have 580 points which is still more than most Irish applicants so again I think you would be pretty much guarenteed a place (i would talk to the man at UCD though). AABB would get you 560 points which is much more achieveable as far as I know with Irish Leaving Cert, so I don't know what your chances would be. We are at a definite advantage doing A-levels....though you do have to do four.
Hope this is helpful. xxx
oh i see, so wat part of ireland u 4rm? yeh im gona go 2 1 of d open days at ucd nd check it out!yeh ino it must b so hard to get in 2 veterinary if ur doin the leavin cert since there is such high grade boundaries!thank god im doin A levels!lol! yeh im def aimin for 3 A's and B at least and 4 A's if possible!i think its pretty **** they way the uk unis dnt offer any advantage to those studyin 4 A levels instead of 3!!
Reply 15
two22
I live in England but I'm Irish and all my family are over there. I'm doing maths, chem, physics and bio and when I went and talked to the 'admissions tutor' (not sure what he calls himself) he said that if I got 4 A's at A-level then I would definitely get in because that would mean I would get 600 points when it is much much harder to get with that the Irish Leaving Cert. With AAAB, you would have 580 points which is still more than most Irish applicants so again I think you would be pretty much guarenteed a place (i would talk to the man at UCD though). AABB would get you 560 points which is much more achieveable as far as I know with Irish Leaving Cert, so I don't know what your chances would be. We are at a definite advantage doing A-levels....though you do have to do four.
Hope this is helpful. xxx

Hey,
I wouldn’t be so sure of what that person told you about a-levels.
I got 4 As at a-level and didn't get a place whereas a friend of mine got 3 As and did get a place. When I applied, (scarily two years ago now :eek: ) they would only consider three a-levels but perhaps this has changed now. Back then, everyone with 3 As or equivalent leaving cert, was put into a hat and the first 120 drawn out got a place. I ironically ended up getting an offer for medicine at Trinity instead. Only put it down to fill a space :p:
Anyhow good luck with the applications.

NB. Just encase any of you applying to UCD are looking to work in America after graduation you might want to consider an AVMA accredited vet school. UCD recently lost their accreditation and quite a few of their American students were transferred to Glasgow and the other UK AVMA vet schools.
Reply 16
hey
thanks for the reply....i was very suspicious/unsure at the time of the man at UCD telling me I would definitely get in with 4 A's, hence I only applied as a backup. In the event it doesn't matter for me now but after hearing about your experience, I would definitely recommend anyone thinking of applying to go and visit and talk to the people there, but to not rely totally on what they say!!
Sorry if i (possibly) supplied inaccurate info earlier.
xxx
p.s. we seem to have somewhat gone off topic...
well im doin alevels in northern ireland and im hopin to do veterinary!ne1 current vet students at glasgow wana give me sum opinions on wat its like? wats the course like? accomodation? easy to make friends? many northern irish at glasgow? social life etc etc, sry 4 all the questions bt im vry curious and dnt no which unis to apply to! hope sum1 can reply cheers
Reply 18
heya again. i got a reply from glasgow. but im not sure what to think of it.

'after some consideration i am sorry to let you know that the Admissions Committee feel they are unable to offer you a firm offer of a place AT THE MOMENT.

we have placed you on our waiting list and you will be contacted again in May. If we do have a place later in the yr we will let you know as soon as we can.

I understand this is a disappointment to you, and while i am unable to offer any guarantees, i would like to assure you that the door to the faculty of vet medicine is by NO MEANS CLOSED, and we will do all we can to keep you informed over the next few months.'

its a rejection, but not quite. has anyone else got a reply like this and got in?? do they send this letter to everyone who hasnt gotten in after interview?? or do i actually have a shot?? i dnt want to get my hopes up, but i dnt want to start planning my year out if i then get in! obviously i wud go! SLippery when Wet, did anyone in your yr get in after this sort of reply??
Reply 19
lucyrobyn
heya again. i got a reply from glasgow. but im not sure what to think of it.

'after some consideration i am sorry to let you know that the Admissions Committee feel they are unable to offer you a firm offer of a place AT THE MOMENT.

we have placed you on our waiting list and you will be contacted again in May. If we do have a place later in the yr we will let you know as soon as we can.

I understand this is a disappointment to you, and while i am unable to offer any guarantees, i would like to assure you that the door to the faculty of vet medicine is by NO MEANS CLOSED, and we will do all we can to keep you informed over the next few months.'

its a rejection, but not quite. has anyone else got a reply like this and got in?? do they send this letter to everyone who hasnt gotten in after interview?? or do i actually have a shot?? i dnt want to get my hopes up, but i dnt want to start planning my year out if i then get in! obviously i wud go! SLippery when Wet, did anyone in your yr get in after this sort of reply??

Hey,

I know It might seem like bad news but it really isn't. I know of people in my year at Glasgow who got in without having first been given an offer. In fact one of my friends here wasn't told they had a place until results day.
Have you got any offers from anywhere else or still waiting to hear from anywhere?
I know it might be hard to see the bright side but you are definitly still in with a chance, they certainly have acepted people from the waiting list before.

Good Luck,

Latest

Trending

Trending