The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'd go for Warwick personally....
Reply 2
I chose Durham over Warwick. Warwick has a superior reputation in Maths, which may or may not be justified, but I chose Durham because at Warwick you need to bus yourself on/off campus in your 2nd and 3rd year, plus I really like the idea of the collegiate community type stuff.

In Durham maths you have to do Core A (Calculus, Geometry, Probability and Algebra), Core B1 (Analysis) and Core B2 (Dynamics and Reasoning). You can then choose 40 credits in anything you like (providing timetabling allows it). I'm finding the workload fine (though Reasoning is IMPOSSIBLE) and I would say I was towards the lower end of Durham's students.

Nightlife in Durham is good, but not great. There are several clubs and many many pubs, as well as college bar crawls which are always good fun. Newcastle is also close by if you fancy a bigger night out at the weekend. I really compare many of these things to Warwick however, havung not studies there, hopefully someone will come and give the other side of the arguement soon.
Reply 3
I chose Warwick over Durham- partly because of its better reputation, but also because I thought the campus was great- I don't think living off campus next year will be too much hassle- its only a ~20min bus ride from Leamington (where I'll be living, others live in Coventry which is nearer to the uni) to Warwick.

The course for the first year has Core modules: Analysis (a two term course), Vectors and Matrices, Foundations (basically a mix of various topics- stuff like studying the natural numbers/integers/rationals etc through to studying polynomials then onto Set Theory and a bit of formal logic, and we finished with an intro to Group Theory), Differential Equations, Geometry and Motion, Probability A, Linear Algebra and Maths by Computer (basically learning how to use Matlab) all of these are compulsary. Then there a 'List A' courses, which are compulsary but are strongly recommended- Probability B, Number Theory, Intro to Geometry, and Experimental Maths. The Core modules are worth 90 'CATS', and together with the List A you have 114 CATS- the minimum workload is 120 CATS so you have to choose from 'List B' which is various other modules from other departments- eg. Physics, Computer Science, Economics, even Philosophy. You can also take an 'unusual option' from any dept so long as you have the necessary qualifications, as well as language courses I believe.

There are a lot of lectures (3 lectures per week for most modules), and we also have 2, 1 hour supervisions per week with a 4th yr/PhD student where we go through h/w etc and a 1 hr tutorial with our tutor (a member of the Maths Dept) where we just talk about maths (well thats what we do in ours, dunno what other people do in theirs), both of the supervision and the tutorial and with the same 3 other students. My overall workload is 24hrs per week this term (excluding h/w).

As for homework, last term we had an Analysis workbook, with about 10 Q's and some extra non-assessed Qs which you harder, every week and a differential equations sheet every 2 weeks, as well as an hour long Foundations test every 2 weeks- for the rest of the modules we were given non-assessed exercises or exercises were posted online (I never did any of these). This term we have an analysis and a linear algebra homework sheet every week, and a Geometry and Motion sheet every 2 weeks. The questions are usually pretty hard (especially analysis!), but are doable- and there are only 3/4 Qs to hand in on each sheet (there are also easier Qs that are supposed to be helpful for the hand-in Qs, as well as harder Qs but these are not to hand in).

As for the nightlife, its pretty good- the Student Union has events on most nights, and Coventry or Leam are both easy to reach by bus, and some peopel even go to Birmingham I believe. There's also Warwick Arts Centre on campus, which has a cinema as well as live shows (eg last term it had Jimmy Carr, and Mitchell and Webb playing).

Latest