The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Mandatory to attend lessons?

Hi,

I'm looking at exchange studies in the UK right now, but the course schedules often don't fit perfectly since I'm going to study equivalent courses to those I normally would at my home university.

I've read that the courses in some universities requires you to attend all lessons, is that true? Is it true for the University of Edinburgh?

I'm going to send my application tomorrow so it would be great to get a quick answer, thanks!
What subject is it you're doing? Some courses take a register for tutorials and non-attendance at a third of them will see you docked marks, and you might have to explain yourself to your Director of Studies. Lectures are there for you to go to as you please- they won't check up on you. For tutorials, though, it depends on the subject.

I think subjects with practicals require attendance at those, but I'm not sure.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
michaelnicholson88
What subject is it you're doing? Some courses take a register for tutorials and non-attendance at a third of them will see you docked marks, and you might have to explain yourself to your Director of Studies. Lectures are there for you to go to as you please- they won't check up on you. For tutorials, though, it depends on the subject.

I think subjects with practicals require attendance at those, but I'm not sure.

Thank you for your answer! I'm going to study at the Computer Science department if I get accepted. I now see that most courses I want to attend don't got any lessons - just lectures (I'm used to lessons in close to all subjects).
Your DOS would probably have a problem if your lectures clashed, as then you'd only ever get half of the teaching. Tutorials however run at loads of different times, they're only an hour per week, so you'd be able to pick one which suited you.

Latest

Trending

Trending